[A]Profile name with multiple input and special char

• 474 posts
    July 15, 2021 8:46 AM EDT

Hei Folks.

I know that when members sign up to our sites, on the signup form we have 'first name' and 'last name'. this works aslong as everyone only has 2 parts to their name such as john jones.

The issues start when john jones has 3 or four parts to the name such as john paul chris jones. On profile it then looks like this: john paulchrisjones.

Another issue is, since i have business members this first and last name does not work.
    Example is: My electrical contractors business Inc.
    On profile, This looks like: My electricalcontractorsbusinessinc .

The issue is, we cant put a 'space' or 'special characters' in the name to separate names or words.

Feature request:

Please can the First and Last name blocks be altered so that 'space' can be added.

Many thanks

mikel.

• 6923 posts
    July 15, 2021 9:56 AM EDT

We had to remove the spaces and special characters as they break the profile url (browsers don't work with them), they break tagging ( the @ mention won't create a proper url), and they break hashtags. Basically it went kerplewy. We'll have to brainstorm to see if there is a way to make sortable "name" fields so that clients can add/subtract and perhaps click to show in the name field. So that a person can have John Jacob Jinglemeyer Schmidtt and that can show perhaps on their profile itself but admin and user can choose if all four show or choose which of them show when posting, etc.

• 15 posts
    July 15, 2021 11:08 PM EDT

Honestly, this is an important issue you brought up, Mikel. Thanks. As you said, sign up for organizations is almost impossible because you hardly find an organization with just a pair of name!

Donna, we look forward to the resolution of this.

Thank you both.

• 6923 posts
    July 16, 2021 5:45 AM EDT
    Donna said:

We had to remove the spaces and special characters as they break the profile url (browsers don't work with them), they break tagging ( the @ mention won't create a proper url), and they break hashtags. Basically it went kerplewy. We'll have to brainstorm to see if there is a way to make sortable "name" fields so that clients can add/subtract and perhaps click to show in the name field. So that a person can have John Jacob Jinglemeyer Schmidtt and that can show perhaps on their profile itself but admin and user can choose if all four show or choose which of them show when posting, etc.

What about the above suggestion? Does that sound like it would be good or does anyone have a better idea?

• 474 posts
    July 16, 2021 8:39 AM EDT

Hei Donna and P-Tech

I ( think ) i have a solution to this problem. on my site i have member names and business names separated like what i am needing.

however i managed to do it a while ago and forgot how i did it.

I think it was something to do with the ' Add Question' in the 'profile or sign up' section.

Il have a play and see if i can replicate. if I'm successful il notify you all here.

Thanks Guys

mikel.

• 15 posts
    July 16, 2021 10:26 AM EDT

Hi Mikel,

Thank you for sharing this.

Whilst we wait for your finding, I was wondering whether what you did was, you added a single-line text (or even multiple-line) item when creating a profile question.

It's possible to do that, and except SE removes the space/special character there too, it will work fine. However, what I'm not sure is, by using single-line text in place of default name, will that also allow member name to appear on member profile cover and all places default name would inherently appear? I believe it will appear under info tab, but the rest I'm not sure.

Well, we look forward to your findings and well as other community members' input.

Thanks

• 474 posts
    July 17, 2021 9:48 AM EDT

Hei..

I had tried the ( single line-line text or some other) but could not recreate the same effect. Im not sure how i did it the first time. I have had a look on my site at the members profiles (in admin view) and compared to each other. They are all the same format except some have the spaces and some do not.

So i am playing around to try and recreate the path i took. so far i had tried in admin panel, setting the profile format but not successful. It must have been easier to do Pre-V5 updates. So i guess it was classed as a bug and then fixed for V5

will keep you updated.

mikel.

• 57 posts
    April 15, 2022 8:36 AM EDT

I used to do that too...

But that's not a solution. With us, the name Karl-Heinz or Hans-Günter like Hans-Dieter is a name. Also double names in the surname are Normal Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger.

So I can stop my project because it will never lead to success.

• 6923 posts
    April 15, 2022 9:00 AM EDT

You could get a small customization from SocialNetworking.Solutions who I think did one already for someone. Until we can figure something out.

• 57 posts
    April 15, 2022 9:16 AM EDT

Ach Donna meine Gute Seele !

They have my access data and have been working on my app until now.
    It would be nice if you would take care of it.

• 6923 posts
    July 1, 2022 6:16 AM EDT

We have this in our list of features in our issue tracker.