cell / mobile phone number registration signup

• 474 posts
    July 22, 2021 8:41 AM EDT

Hei Folks..

mikel here.

was just wondering if anyone has made a feature request regarding cell / mobile phone number registration ? instead of email signup.

ive search for one but nothing shows up, or im using the wrong key words for searching.

i think i mentioned it a long time ago but cant remember...ive slept since then.

mikel.

• 6923 posts
    July 22, 2021 8:48 AM EDT

Hi Mikel, glad you got some sleep! I'll have to try that someday lol. 

I don't see a feature request for it. It is a feature we had wanted to do at one time but we could only find paid methods for it. Since we can't put a paid external feature in (that doesn't have a free option), we were not able to add it. Feel free to add the feature request or I can move this to feature requests. We can search again and see if there's something with an API that doesn't cost. 

• 474 posts
    July 22, 2021 9:31 AM EDT

Hei Donna

Sleep is amazing, could become a trend if it catches on.

if i remember correctly when i triald another script, the method was.

so when i signing in i could just use cell phone number and password.

a nice feature.

I am finding that a growing trend for new members is for people not to use emails anymore.

since they are mostly using cell phones to access mobile sites and also dont always want to receive emails notifications and turning off the setting via their preference plus i dont like sending out so many emails, ive turned off the option for my site.

Maybe just alter the sign in detail, so they can sign in ?

thanks Donna

mikel.

• 6923 posts
    July 22, 2021 10:02 AM EDT

I moved this to feature requests.

• 629 posts
    July 23, 2021 3:10 PM EDT

Well if it's an API you need, why not do something with Microsoft Authenticator or Authy. Basically you enter a generated code that your phone screen shows you for 30 seconds before it gets updated. Only, why not do the reverse. Create a QR code system, then add Authenticator or Authy to the supported apps. Once you enter the code shown on your phone after you add it to the site, then the phone would use its own permissions system to retrieve the number if any the phone is attached to. Then from there, you use that number to sign up.

Alternatively, just build this in the mobile app and call it mobile sign up.

As for text notifications, there's really no way of getting around a paid for product because technically speaking, a service provider is someone who can text and make calls world wide. Google Hangouts would likely be the API to use if anything free while it's still up for this purpose, as Skype seems to be getting discontinued soon. But that API would also work for this purpose if you paid for a Skype account. So microsoft integration would work for this.

If social engine had a regular subscription service to cover all of the updates, you could use a one Client twilio account just like you would for Iframely.