Is possible to add 2 Surnames?

• 135 posts
    October 1, 2021 2:36 AM EDT

Hello, just happened something curious to my user:

He has 2 surnames, so need to add a space between them. Is that possible to be done in social engine because when he (and I as admin) try to add the space the engine says no special chars allowed.

Maybe is a sort of customization I have to ask my developers to do?

Any suggestion is welcome!

• 6923 posts
    October 1, 2021 6:05 AM EDT

We had to remove that as it broke username tagging. So, if you add it back, you won't be able to username tag like @Ramses . It breaks the url structure. We suggest perhaps adding a profile question for it and having a developer do some custom work to display that profile question next to the First Name. 

• 135 posts
    October 2, 2021 12:29 PM EDT

Thank you very much, great information about the reason for the removal, I didn't know. Every time I learn something new! And tnx for the tip about the second surname diplay next to the first surname

• 15 posts
    October 8, 2021 12:47 PM EDT

Hi Donna and all

I was really pondering over these issues of inputting name and broken username tagging; which is more important to our websites if we're to choose between the two?

Since the changes happened, I now have nearly 3 out of every 5 sign up on my site having their names oddly joined. As I said sometimes, we have organizations signing up, and most of them naturally have three or more names. Even individuals would like to put a prefix or suffix to the names, and they can't properly. Not to talk of errors that users encounter during sign ups.

I believe it's better to have the name issue inherently resolved by SE than some kind of custom work. This will simplify registration and encourage community growth, and make names on our sites look normal as they should be.

Thank you!

• 474 posts
    October 8, 2021 2:17 PM EDT

Hei folks.

I was playing with the idea of adding a profile question ' single line ' in place of the profile block. but it didnt work on profiles. it only shows in members info. 

Maybe a similar feature could be created for profile that sits in profile block ?

Crazy idea i know but, i like to think outside the box or remake the box to fit my crazyness. sometimes it works.

mikel.

• 135 posts
    October 11, 2021 3:44 AM EDT

Seem the topic is interesting for others too! As told Donna, the problem is about the username tag, I suppose it will be too much long like @firstnamesurname2surname

maybe the system can take just the name and the 1st surname only

• 6923 posts
    October 11, 2021 7:53 AM EDT

We will look at this after v6 as it'll take restructuring in order for it to work.

• 474 posts
    November 9, 2021 9:33 AM EST

Hei Donna and folks.

Just an addon for this feature request if possible.

At the moment members (business members) cant add a number at the beginning of their business name when they sign up.

Example. I have a business member called '6cut' (6 cut Pizza Company).

When they registered they had to put 'six cut' as their profile name until they confirmed their membership. Then they could place '6cut' as their screen name.

Is their any possibility to allow a number to be used when creating the account ?

No rush and not urgent, as this will not create any issues.

Many Thanks

mikel.