google recapta

• 474 posts
    October 8, 2021 11:59 AM EDT

Hei Folks

Mikel here.

Im just updating my security on my site.

Recapta ?

I need google recapta adding to my site (v3) version.

how easy is it to create API add a recapta from google itself ?

thanks

mikel.

• 474 posts
    October 8, 2021 12:08 PM EDT

Or recaptcha enterprise 2020.

any feedback on how easy it was to set yourself ?

• 15 posts
    October 8, 2021 12:25 PM EDT

Hi Mikel,

I set V2 for my site, and it wasn't that difficult. Just browse the Google recaptcha link, add your site link and generate the API. You will have option to select the version you want. Perhaps someone more knowledge about the versions can throw more light.

But be informed, if I'm right, SE contact form page still does not support recaptcha (hope we will get it soon). But login and sign up pages do.

All the best.

• 474 posts
    October 8, 2021 1:47 PM EDT

hei P-Tech

Ive had a look through the option for the new google 'V3 enterprise' recaptcha and it says you can asign recaptcha to any page on the site.

That might be new compared to the v2 recaptcha versions ?

all i need it for is contact, sign up . i think if people had to do it for sign in , could create some sad faces.

Normaly my tech guy who looks after my computers does this for me but he is away for the next 2 weeks on a cyber-security update course along with my security officer. So im left here to have a go myself.

not sure thats a good thing, as ive told not to touch anything or im going to get a visit from 'Tommy 2 fingers'  

thanks

mikel.

• 15 posts
    October 8, 2021 4:45 PM EDT

Hi Mikel

Lol... I couldn't agree more there will be some sad faces when you have it on sign in.  I believe contact and sign up should be the basic.

Well, it shouldn't be complicated if you want to have a go, just one step at a time, like we all do after all.

Good luck!

• 6923 posts
    October 8, 2021 5:36 PM EDT

We do have v2 and v3 recaptcha settings in admin. I suggest v3 recaptcha. At the moment there are some bugs due to mootools but those are fixed in v6. For now, it works for sign up/log in. I would not ever set it for log in actually but it does work. Contact does not work yet as the mootools conflict is making a fuss. 

• 474 posts
    October 9, 2021 5:28 AM EDT

Hei Donna

Thanks for the info and heads up..

I still have to create the API key on google yet.

Question: Is it technicaly or practical at this time to apply the google recaptcha API keys to my site this side of V6, should i wait ?

Thanks

mikel.

• 6923 posts
    October 9, 2021 5:54 AM EDT

I use recaptcha when a site is not invite only. I would recommend adding it as the setting will still work later. If you decide on v3 recaptcha in our v6, you would make new keys. 

I also use honeypots on my sites to track/stop phishers, spammers, and other bad folks. It's made by the same folks that made Cloudflare and was there before Cloudflare came about. I was actually a beta tester for Cloudflare as I had gotten invited through project honeypot. https://www.projecthoneypot.org/ it's free and easy to implement. 

• 474 posts
    October 9, 2021 9:05 AM EDT

Hei Donna Thanks

Ive just signed up to project honey pot and downloaded the file.

Just need Ric to install it to my server.

Thanks
    mikel

• 474 posts
    October 9, 2021 9:39 AM EDT

Just a quick question...

Is there such a problem called: security overload ?

Meaning, if you put too much security on your site it starts to cause problems or starts too cause security conflicts ?

Thanks

mikel.

• 474 posts
    October 9, 2021 1:16 PM EDT

Hei folks.

mikel here.

Im just setting up recapchta V3 for my site. I think ive got my settings incorrect somewhere because im not getting any recapchta.

here is an image of my settings.  Is there any thing i should alter ?

I just need recaptcha for signup

• 6923 posts
    October 9, 2021 3:08 PM EDT

Please try recaptcha v2 as I forgot the v3 conflicts with mootools. It works in v6 but not in v5. Sorry about that.

• 474 posts
    October 10, 2021 8:35 AM EDT

Thats ok Donna

im not doing it correctly anyway so im having issues on google and implementing recaptcha

google is a bit confusing trying to navigate around to the exact place to get the API for v2.

thanks

mikel.

• 6923 posts
    October 10, 2021 9:22 AM EDT

It's the same place you get v3, you just choose v2 when making the recaptcha keys. https://socialengine.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SU/pages/5341468/SE+PHP+-+Spam+and+Banning+Tools that tutorial has a link. Once you have it created, all you need to do is set it in the spam settings as shown in the tutorial. 

• 474 posts
    October 10, 2021 9:44 AM EDT

Hei Donna.

Thanks. 

I just need to create the V2 codes.  google is set on v3 and i dont know how to get the v2 files..

il figure it out today sometime.

mikel. 

• 6923 posts
    October 10, 2021 9:53 AM EDT

You log into your google recaptcha area and create a new app, this time selecting v2. We have several of them in our account for testing demo, stagings, etc. 

It'll say before you log in that you're logging into the v3 admin console but you can choose any site you've added to it. I have a video made to show you after login how it looks. It may take a few more mins for google to process this video though.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w4J6oXkD0SpsclZIG49vq0-7amfZushl/view?usp=sharing

• 474 posts
    October 10, 2021 10:19 AM EDT

Hei Donna..

thanks.

I think ive sorted it without breaking my site.. 

I sorted it. 

Just got it working and tested.

On our admin we have 2 placements: recaptcha public and recaptcha private.

On google is not worded like that. They have:

Client side integration
    Use this site key in the HTML code your site serves to users. ( in our site admin, this the recaptcha public key)

Server side integration
    Use this secret key for communication between your site and reCAPTCHA.  ( in our site admin, this the recaptcha private key key)

This is how have set it and it works.

hope this works for others.
    If its wrong in some way i would like to be informed.

many thanks

mikel.