Pop-up and age control

• 318 posts
    October 13, 2021 11:44 AM EDT

Hello.

One of our sites is for adults only.

The legislation obliges us (and it is good) to have the entry validated by the new members. (Reserved for + 18 years old).

Have you ever had this problem?

Do you have a quick fix or Addons?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

• 474 posts
    October 13, 2021 12:23 PM EDT

Hello

Mikel here.

One of the best ways i have used is to have a sign up fee. like paypal. Where the new member can only sign up and pay with credit or debit card.

I had a sign up fee of $0.01 or what ever price you want to set.

Depending on your payment gateway provider, just check on what or how you can set your payment criteria for accepting payments.

I know people under 18 can have debit cards, but generally most are 18 or older depending on your state or country.

Also i trialed age verification but members could just say they are 18 or older and so it did not work.
    Where the person ticked a box that said ( i am over 18 )

I have just re-instated a payment sign-up again to combat age and other fake users. I have set it at $1.00 (one-time payment)

There are plugins you can get in store for ID verification, but not all id forms can be accepted. It depends on your state or country. Thats the problems i had. I then trialed Yoti but it could not really be successfully installed in to my site and i had issues with the QR scanner not working on my phone which prevented me from login. And 90% of uk don't have id cards and all paperwork cant be used as ID. plus only about 2% of uk have yoti id.

Also some varification systems could not tell the difference between fake or genuine photo id. 

Hope this works for you.

mikel.

• 318 posts
    October 13, 2021 12:33 PM EDT

The idea of ​​charging entry to confirm the member's age is a good idea.

However, we rather want to create frustration in order to take subscriptions higher than 80 € per year.

Having to pay twice is a brake on monetization. In reality, a simple pop-up would suffice.

Thank you for sharing your experience because it is a good idea that we had not thought of.

• 474 posts
    October 13, 2021 1:00 PM EDT

Another way of verifying ID / Age is have members send a copy of their Driver license / ID card or passport.

You can ( if i remember correctly), you may be able to set the sign up fee at £0.00 on paypal.
    I tried to set my sign-up fee at £0.00 payment but the SE system would not accept it. i had to put a value like £0.01 or £1.00 .

In my experience there is no friction-less ID Age verification. Especially these days. Everyone wants to be anonymous.
    I probably lost more potential sign-ups with KYC verification systems because they took a long time or failed to work and it caused more frustration that than automated Telephone switchboards. And thats hard to achieve.

Good news is, youre not alone in this problem. Even Big gambling sites or other adult site cant solve this problem. And even if they did, i can guarantee people will as they do now, will try and beet the system.

mikel.

• 318 posts
    October 14, 2021 12:44 PM EDT

Retrieving official documents can pose data security issues.

In addition, it requires complex management.

The legislation in Europe only requires the validation of the age in a simple pop-up.

We will look for a simple solution.

Thanks for your advices.

• 6923 posts
    October 15, 2021 4:54 AM EDT

We do have the Birthdate profile question and it does allow you to put a minimum age on it. You can make it required as well. It isn't a popup but it is on the registration if you select to have it there. Not sure if that would help.

• 318 posts
    October 18, 2021 12:18 PM EDT

Yes thanks.

We have already fixed this section.

The legislation in Europe requires to warn the visitor immediately upon arrival on the site.

We will seek a solution.

Thanks Donna.

• 15 posts
    October 19, 2021 4:25 AM EDT

Lovea, if you haven't figure out let me know. We are from Europe, and aware of European laws. We can help you out with the development of the desired pop-up. 

Cheers,