Button to add an icon (favorites) on mobile

• 318 posts
    March 11, 2022 4:07 AM EST

Hello.

We decided to abandon the idea of ​​launching a mobile application.

This is practically impossible with all the modules installed.

In fact it would be too complicated to have a perfect site.

On the other hand, the responsive version of SE is really perfect.

Our problem is: We would like to put a simple button on the index page.

When a member clicks on this button via mobile, the site icon would be installed on the member's mobile.

Do you think this is possible?

I hope my question is understandable...

• 6923 posts
    March 11, 2022 11:01 AM EST

You could put a tutorial for how the members can do that themselves as all smart phones have the capability.

• 6923 posts
    March 11, 2022 11:07 AM EST

Or, if you're ambitious and can figure this out, you could try it on a development site but I have not tried it. https://github.com/cubiq/add-to-homescreen

• 474 posts
    March 15, 2022 7:21 AM EDT

Hello Lovea

Have you tried using ' Progressive Web App'. you can get this in store. This will do what you are looking for.

Plus Points: will create an image of your logo on mobile device screen.

Negative points: PWA always looks different to your actual site. almost like you have 2 sites.

Theory. For now at least, a PWA is the best option for large SE sites that dont want to use Mobile App. I have not seen any realistic alternative.

Personal Note: I myself dont use mobile app or PWA. (although i did in the past). Now I keep my site small (using only SE standard plugings that came with site.
    It is my experience that, large sites dont always work well with Mobile apps. Even companies like ebay, amazon, and other large companies are downsizing their sites so that Mobile apps work or they are splitting their sites into smaller sites. Talking to Devs and Apps Devs, they recommend making sites 'lite' and keep small by using plugins only what your members use to a high level. Also, if you have large plugins such as marketplace, think about downsizing.
    I had tried getting Devs to strip back certain parts of their large plugins but since they did not want to listen or wanted me to pay $1000 to customise. that was never going to happen.

hope this is of any use to you.

mikel.

• 318 posts
    March 15, 2022 10:45 AM EDT

Yes we have used a PWA version for years.

But we still had display problems. Finally, we decided to go back and keep only the Responsive of SE.

We are looking for a solution and if it works we will share the results.

Thank you all for your advice.