Language translation issues

• 6 posts
    March 12, 2023 5:58 AM EDT

We have been having an ongoing problem with the language file and all CSV files becoming corrupted and the Language not picking up from the en.php file. We even tried to flush the cache and also do changes to the caching system to see if there is anything which would solve the problem, but it didn't.
    Some features like the signup email/ advanced activity feed aren’t working because of this issue.
    We have tried to solve the issue ourselves, but we are unable to find a cause or a solution. Signup is failing, and also in the language log file, it says there is no translation available for the texts.

Can you please help us find what the issue and fix it, also it would be helpful if we could find the reason why this happened?

• 6923 posts
    March 13, 2023 7:59 AM EDT

Did you use the tutorial when doing your translations https://community.socialengine.com/blogs/597/65/language-manager ? Did you ensure that you made translations via the language manager in admin? If not, and if you made translations in the csv file, you would want to ensure that you didn't miss a quotation or something. If you are using third party products, such as advanced activity feed, check with those developers for help.

• 6923 posts
    March 13, 2023 9:05 AM EDT

One more thing to check as I forgot to mention. The sign up must be in the correct order in the settings for Signup Process, https://community.socialengine.com/blogs/597/27/signup-process . The first three items should not be moved or changed as those have to be in the order they are set by default. The tutorial there shows the order they have to be in.

• 6 posts
    March 13, 2023 10:14 AM EDT

We have tried both there before posting to the forum. This is an example of the corrupted file:

• 6923 posts
    March 13, 2023 10:24 AM EDT

I cannot read any of that. Please copy it and then use the code tag (it is next to the smiley button, to the right) and paste some of it so i can read it. 

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at March 13, 2023 10:25 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    March 13, 2023 10:28 AM EDT

You should compare what you have with the default activity.csv and any translations for your language should be in that language pack custom.csv file I believe. All of the packs that clients have shared with me for help were custom.csv files, not original default files. I am not a language expert though and am trying to get other help here for you. You seem to have some odd things on the end of your example above. Can you paste an actual example?

• 6923 posts
    March 13, 2023 10:29 AM EDT

Here is some of what I have:

"View More";"View More"
    "Post";"Post"
    "Edit Post";"Edit Post"
    "Edit";"Edit"
    "edited";"edited"
    "post";"post";"posts"
    "Like";"Like"
    "like";"like"
    "Unlike";"Unlike"
    "unlike";"unlike"
    "Comment";"Comment"
    "Delete";"Delete"
    • 6 posts
    March 13, 2023 12:53 PM EDT
    "View More;""View More""",,,,,
    "Post;""Post""",,,,,
    "Edit Post;""Edit Post""",,,,,
    "Edit;""Edit""",,,,,
    "edited;""edited""",,,,,
    "post;""post"";""posts""",,,,,
    "Like;""Like""",,,,,
    "like;""like""",,,,,
    "Unlike;""Unlike""",,,,,
    "unlike;""unlike""",,,,,
    "Comment;""Comment""",,,,,
    "Delete;""Delete""",,,,,
    "Delete Comment?;""Delete Comment?""",,,,,
    "Are you sure that you want to delete this comment? This action cannot be undone.;""Are you sure that you want to delete this comment? This action cannot be undone.""",,,,,
    "Done;""Done""",,,,,
    "%s others;""%s others""",,,,,
    "Not allowed.;""Not allowed.""",,,,,
    "%s person likes this;""%s person likes this"";""%s people like this""",,,,,
    "%s likes this.;""%s likes this."";""%s like this.""",,,,,
    "This activity item has been removed.;""This activity item has been removed.""",,,,,
    "Comment has been deleted;""Comment has been deleted""",,,,,
    "You do not have the privilege to delete this comment;""You do not have the privilege to delete this comment""",,,,,
    "...  ;""...  """,,,,,
    "more;""more""",,,,,
    "less;""less""",,,,,
    "You have no notifications.;""You have no notifications.""",,,,,
    "You have no requests.;""You have no requests.""",,,,,
    "Publish this on Facebook;""Publish this on Facebook""",,,,,
    "Share this by re-posting it with your own message.;""Share this by re-posting it with your own message.""",,,,,
    "Delete Activity Item?;""Delete Activity Item?""",,,,,
    "Are you sure that you want to delete this activity item and all of its comments? This action cannot be undone.;""Are you sure that you want to delete this activity item and all of its comments? This action cannot be undone.""",,,,,
    "Activity;""Activity""",,,,,
    "{item:$subject} and {others:$otherItems};""{item:$subject} and {others:$otherItems}""",,,,,
    " Posted %1$s;"" Posted %1$s""",,,,,
    "ADMIN_ACTIVITY_TYPE_TAGGED;""When a user (subject) tags another user (object) in photos and other places.""",,,,,
    "ADMIN_ACTIVITY_TYPE_;""When a user (subject) becomes with another user (object).""",,,,,
    "ADMIN_ACTIVITY_TYPE__FOLLOW;""When a user (subject) follows another user (object).""",,,,,
    "ADMIN_ACTIVITY_TYPE_LOGIN;""When a user (subject) logs in.""",,,,,
    "ADMIN_ACTIVITY_TYPE_LOGOUT;""When a user (subject) logs out.""",,,,,
    "ADMIN_ACTIVITY_TYPE_POST;""When a user (subject) posts a message to another user's profile (object).""",,,,,
    "ADMIN_ACTIVITY_TYPE_POST_SELF;""When a user (subject) posts an attachment.""",,,,,
    "ADMIN_ACTIVITY_TYPE_PROFILE_PHOTO_UPDATE;""When a user (subject) updates their profile photo.""",,,,,
    "ADMIN_ACTIVITY_TYPE_SIGNUP;""When a new user (subject) signs up.""",,,,,
    "ADMIN_ACTIVITY_TYPE_STATUS;""When a user (subject) posts a status update.""",,,,,
    "ADMIN_ACTIVITY_TYPE_NETWORK_JOIN;""When a user (subject) joins a network.""",,,,,
    "ADMIN_ACTIVITY_TYPE_SHARE;""When a user shares another user's post.""",,,,,
    "ADMIN_ACTIVITY_TYPE_LIKE_ACTIVITY_ACTION;""When a user (subject) likes another user's (object) post.""",,,,,
    "ADMIN_ACTIVITY_TYPE_COMMENT_ACTIVITY_ACTION;""When a user (subject) comments on another user's (object) post.""",,,,,

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at March 14, 2023 6:21 AM EDT
    • 6 posts
    March 13, 2023 12:55 PM EDT

So the live site is looking like this:

• 6923 posts
    March 13, 2023 1:02 PM EDT

Your file is wrong. You can see mine that I had posted.  You have extra quotes and a bunch of commas at the translation side (the right side). Please compare the default translations to what you have on your site. Is the above example you posted from the default English pack? If so, someone has done something to it. The default English pack should not be edited. Your translations should be going into your own created pack. Or, if you want to use English, then your translations should be in the custom.csv file. If done in admin, it should be working fine. Either way, you should be making it per the default examples. With just one set of opening and closing quotes, no commas on the end.

• 6923 posts
    March 13, 2023 1:02 PM EDT

Also, are you using SEPHP 6.3? Is your server set up per the requirements? https://community.socialengine.com/blogs/597/130/requirements-v6-3-and-above

• 6 posts
    March 13, 2023 1:25 PM EDT

So the live site is looking like this:

• 6 posts
    March 13, 2023 1:27 PM EDT

We know something has happened to it, we are trying to work out what and how - all the CSV files have become corrupted :/ 

• 6923 posts
    March 14, 2023 6:32 AM EDT

[url=/profile/donnab]Donna[/url] said: Also, are you using SEPHP 6.3? Is your server set up per the requirements? https://community.socialengine.com/blogs/597/130/requirements-v6-3-and-above

If you are not using v6, you should be. You would want to find the requirements for v5 if using v5.

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at March 14, 2023 6:34 AM EDT
    • 265 posts
    March 15, 2023 2:07 AM EDT
    I lost a few translations (they were just customized English phrases) when I upgraded from 5.x to 6.2. I just assumed it was me making errors with custom code which I cannot expect support for, so did not report a bug. I still do see the following error in my Error log regularl (including since upgrading to 6.3) which I will report as a bug in the next few days:
    ValueError: The arguments array must contain 2 items, 1 given in /home/se62/www/application/libraries/Zend/View/Helper/Translate.php:98
    Stack trace:
    #0 /home/se62/www/application/libraries/Zend/View/Helper/Translate.php(98): vsprintf()
    #1 /home/se62/www/application/libraries/Zend/View/Abstract.php(349): Zend_View_Helper_Translate->translate()
    #2 /home/se62/www/application/modules/Album/widgets/breadcrumb-album/index.tpl(33): Zend_View_Abstract->__call()
    With regards to your sign-up issue, I also lost a few weeks worth of sign-ups until I realised that Social Engine 6.3 introduced a new setting but did not require me to fill it out or inform me about it.[url=https://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/3237/bug-6-3-when-upgrading-from-6-2-recieve-new-signup-alerts-e] See this bug here[/url]. It might be what is causing your sign-up issues.
    • 87 posts
    March 15, 2023 6:42 AM EDT

Have you installed any new plugin or made any change to your site. This generally never happens that files get corrupt. Also, you have not answered Donna's question that are you on SE's latest version or are you using any older version. You can also try to recheck your server settings that those are fulfilling SE's requirements. Try upgrading SE and reuploading the language file. [url=/profile/intechnique]Intechnique[/url] said: So the live site is looking like this: If you still get issues, you can connect with us (SocialNetworking.Solutions)on support. Since this is a site specific issue, we may need further debugging in code.

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at March 15, 2023 6:44 AM EDT