PHP 7.x with SE 4.9.4?

• 36 posts
    October 14, 2017 8:17 PM EDT

Hello,

I just upgraded from EasyApache 3 to EasyApache 4, SE 4.8.12 to 4.9.4p4, and PHP from PHP 5.6 to PHP 7.

Since upgrading my PHP build, I'm unable to use SE.. at all. I've tried all 3 available versions of PHP 7 (PHP 7.0, PHP 7.1, and PHP 7.2) and can't get the script to load anything for either.. I just get continual 500 server error until I switch back to PHP 5.6.

Since my PHP 5.6 build uses 'dso' as the PHP handler, I tried adding 'dso' as the PHP Handler for PHP 7.x and that didn't work either. I even tried to build my PHP 7.x profiles to match that of my PHP 5.6 profile and still nothing... 500 server error.

Is there anything that I might be missing or overlooking?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    October 14, 2017 9:41 PM EDT

What was the last thing that worked?  i.e. did you perform SE upgrade(s) first on EA3 and PHP 5.6 and it worked? Then upgraded to EA4 and it worked with PHP 5.6? Then it failed after PHP 7.1?

I guess what I'm asking is what did you upgrade in what order and did you do it all or did your host do some of it?

This post was edited by gs at October 14, 2017 9:42 PM EDT
    • 36 posts
    October 14, 2017 10:21 PM EDT

Hello,

I believe I did upgrade the script first, then I upgraded from easyapache 3 -> 4.

I have my host looking into it now, but I'm still wondering what's going on. I just downloaded the "social-engine-4.9.4p4" package from my SE.com dashboard to see if I still get the error. But any other ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

• 36 posts
    October 14, 2017 10:24 PM EDT

I can still use the site, just as long as it's not on any PHP 7 versions yell

• gs
    • 857 posts
    October 14, 2017 10:46 PM EDT

That's good - I thought you were dead in the water.

The host performed my upgrades.  One issue was due to permissions that the host resolved.  Another issue was caused by 3PD Plugins that required disabling.  But I obviously have no idea if that is the cause of your errors.  Hopefully your host will look at the error logs to point them in the right direction.  For me it required SE Support to pinpoint the issues.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.  The good news is you'll be pleasantly surprised with the performance gains of the site with PHP 7.1*.  

• 36 posts
    October 15, 2017 12:57 AM EDT

No your input is valuable. Thank you for it.

So uploading the default SE 4.9.4p4 files did nothing, which means the issue is still server side yell Back to the drawing board..

This error is populating in my apache error log:

[Sat Oct 14 22:07:21.138667 2017] [:error] [pid 6520] [client ----------:33802] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /home/*****/public_html/application/libraries/Engine/Db/Adapter/Mysql.php:220\nStack trace:\n#0 /home/*****/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(460): Engine_Db_Adapter_Mysql->_connect()\n#1 /home/*****/public_html/application/modules/Core/Bootstrap.php(121): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('SET time_zone =...')\n#2 /home/*****/public_html/application/libraries/Engine/Application/Bootstrap/Abstract.php(256): Core_Bootstrap->_initDb()\n#3 /home/*****/public_html/application/libraries/Engine/Application/Bootstrap/Abstract.php(207): Engine_Application_Bootstrap_Abstract->_executeResource('db')\n#4 /home/*****/public_html/application/libraries/Engine/Application/Bootstrap/Abstract.php(150): Engine_Application_Bootstrap_Abstract->_bootstrap('db')\n#5 /home/*****/public_html/application/libraries/Engine/Application.php(149): Engine_Application_Bootstrap_Abstract->bootstrap(NULL)\n#6 /home/*****/public_html/applic in /home/*****/public_html/application/libraries/Engine/Db/Adapter/Mysql.php on line 220

• 6923 posts
    October 15, 2017 4:53 AM EDT

Triple check our requirements at our kb. Are you sure this isn't from a third party plugin? I realize that error doesn't show a plugin but try making a development site in a development or dev subdomain and see if it works with php7 on your server.

• 71 posts
    October 17, 2017 10:17 AM EDT

I would check the server first.

Try to install clean SE in some subfolder on the server to see if it works, then try to install plugins one by one to understand if the problem might be related to some specific plugin(s)

• 36 posts
    October 17, 2017 7:27 PM EDT

Hi everybody,

Sorry I haven't checked in in a few days, but thanks for the input.

I got my site back up and running and found the culprit to be the native SE4 files. It looks like the upgrade script didn't fully upgrade the core files because when I uploaded the default se4.9.4p4 files, everything worked. So for anyone upgrading like me, if you get this issue with PHP7 then just upload the default SE files. Also, make sure your PHP handler is set to 'DSO' instead of suPHP/CGI etc. At least for me that worked.

I did find though that I'm unable to use PHP 7.1 & 7.2... I can only use PHP 7.. even when I upload all new files. Anyone using SE4 with PHP 7.1/7.2 or is it just me having issues?

Thanks again for the input everyone.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    October 17, 2017 9:54 PM EDT

That's some great investigative work Sherlock  Glad your site is back up.

Re PHP version:

I've got SE 4.09.04p2 running on PHP 7.1.10 with REDIS (not sure of version).  

• 6923 posts
    October 18, 2017 4:54 AM EDT

Glad you have it resolved. My locals use up to 7.1.8 as I don't use RC versions of PHP. I wait for stable.

• 36 posts
    October 23, 2017 12:11 AM EDT

Thanks all.

I'd like to use PHP 7.1 instead of 7.0 but I'll dig around and play with my PHP settings when I get time.