IM Chat window keeps coming up and blinking even when I close it

• 24 posts
    March 30, 2023 3:34 PM EDT

Hello friends, so I have this weird error on my SE IM Chat plugin. Basically, I login to the website, the IM shows up in the bottom right corner, and after I close it from the X (in the dialogue box) and move to another page in the website, it pops up again, and again and again for each page browsed. If I minimize it, it stays minimized, but it keeps blinking and no matter how many times I close it, it comes right back up when I go to another page. Please help. 

• 6923 posts
    March 31, 2023 5:43 AM EDT

When you upgraded, did you overwrite the old files? Are you using the default theme? If so, if you made changes to the theme in admin did you first make a clone? Any changes to the default theme itself will cause the upgrade not to work properly. Did you double check server requirements? That's all I can think of at the moment. Other than you should ensure that you are not using any v5 plugins in v6.

• 24 posts
    March 31, 2023 6:31 AM EDT

I have not upgraded, I had V6 from the start. I am using default theme Elpis. No changes made to the theme. Double checked server requirements, it is meeting all requirements. I did have the CB Advanced Chat from Consecutive Bytes installed, but it did not worked, so I disabled it. 

• 6923 posts
    March 31, 2023 6:37 AM EDT

Disabling an old chat like that is not going to remove the source edits. It can also still be loading things in the background. Can you please test the chat at our demo.socialengine.com and see if you get the same behavior? If you do, then we may have some odd bug or there could even be browser settings interfering.

• 24 posts
    March 31, 2023 6:57 AM EDT

I requested some friends on the demo, I am waiting to be accepted, them I can use the IM, right now I have no friends on it to see them online. I am thinking to remove all the CB Chat tomorrow by deleting the files from the server, and by deleting all CB lines from the SQL. And do the same for the Chat from you, them reinstall fresh the original Chat plugin from you again. What do you think?

• 6923 posts
    March 31, 2023 7:37 AM EDT

That might work. Make a backup first or, make a development site and work on that before you do changes to your main site. Use that process each time you want to make changes. This way, if you break your development site you just have to reload it and no content or users are lost. The license allows you to have one development site. It must be on the same domain as the license and be set up as "development" for the subdomain like development.yoursite.com . It has to be closed to the public so either enable maintenance mode which requires a code for access, or password protect the directory so that only you and your testers can access it. 

• 24 posts
    March 31, 2023 2:14 PM EDT

For the development site, do I connect to the live database or do I make a totally different database? I guess what I am asking is that the development site must be completely independent of the live website? files, mysql, everything? 

• 6923 posts
    April 3, 2023 6:18 AM EDT

The development site needs to have its own database. It would be a completely separate site set up in a subdomain named development. If you are hosting at our recommended host, BryZar, they can make a development site for you and that would be safer if you aren't sure how to make one. 

• 24 posts
    April 3, 2023 1:26 PM EDT

Thanks for the answer.