SMTP settings will be reset in SEPHP

• 46 posts
    April 20, 2023 11:40 PM EDT

I have upgraded to SE V6 and I've got a sendgrid SMTP account. After setting the SMTP parameters in my SE mail settings and saving, it says that new settings are saved, but when I get out of mail settings and then get back again, I see that, it has automatically gotten back to "Use the built-in mail() function". 

I try to send a test mail through Manage:Email all members, but nothing happens. 

It would be kind of you if anyone can help me on this issue. 

• 6923 posts
    April 21, 2023 9:29 AM EDT

As we use BryZar SMTP here, at our demo, on our stagings, on my own site, I am not seeing any issues in saving the settings. First question is, have you checked your error logs? Do you see errors relating to SMTP? What os and browser are you using? Did you try a different browser? do you have any third party products? Is your server set up to the 6.3 requirements fully? Are you using cloudflare - which can interfere with admin functions?

• 46 posts
    April 22, 2023 10:02 AM EDT

Dear Donna, 

Thanks for the reply. 

There are no error logs relating to SMTP. On server side, we are using Linux OS (including php 8.1, Apache 2.4, MySQL 8.0). The server is setup according to SE 6.3 requirements. 

On my own computer, I use windows 8.1 with updated google chrome and firefox browsers. On both browsers we have the same problem.

We have some socialapps.tech plugins installed. Also, we have wordpress which is installed on a different directory than SE. We do not use cloudflare.

• 46 posts
    April 22, 2023 10:07 AM EDT

Adding to the above response, I noticed that emails that I tried to send via manage: All members have been received by members (although with messy html format!), but I think they are sent by php mail() function. 

• 6923 posts
    April 24, 2023 5:21 AM EDT

Please note that the requirements are only up to php 8.0 as you can see, https://community.socialengine.com/blogs/597/130/requirements-v6-3-and-above Please double check all of the requirements and notes to ensure that the rest of the server stuff is set up properly. Perhaps that is the reason smtp is not working for you. It can also be a third party issue if a plugin is interfering. Hard to say as we aren't experiencing any issues and hadn't heard of anyone else. Also double check folder permissions. https://community.socialengine.com/blogs/597/120/optimized-file-and-folder-permissions

• 46 posts
    April 26, 2023 11:26 AM EDT

Thanks Donna, 

The problem solved!

• 6923 posts
    April 27, 2023 10:20 AM EDT

Great! Glad you got it worked out.