Updates plugin494p4

• 474 posts
    November 7, 2017 1:33 PM EST

hei folks.
    I see that the new plugins v 494p4 are being updated.
    I tried to upload to my site but all that would happen is the v494p3 just got reloaded. ??

Is it me or has anybody else had the same issue ?
    I think it did the same a while ago but was told to wait until all the plugins had been updated until I should update.

thanks
    mikel.

• 6923 posts
    November 7, 2017 3:10 PM EST

That was my mistake when updating the plugin listings. There is no need to wait for the official SE plugins to be 4.9.4p4 as they didn't need updating to p4. You do need to check with third parties to make sure third party products you use are compatible with the core 4.9.4p4 though.

• 6923 posts
    November 7, 2017 3:27 PM EST

Ok I've fixed the listings. You can download the SocialEngine official plugins which are all at 4.9.3p3 and compatible with 4.9.4p4. Sorry for the confusion. You can upgrade your site to 4.9.4p4 as the core itself is at that version. Let me know if you need more info.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    November 8, 2017 10:54 AM EST

This is one of the reasons for an archive.  This way, the archive folder/link/name would represent the version, regardless of the version #s on each file.  Different version #s of files used with the same primary SE version causes confusion.  Since SE refuses to use archives (as per other posts), maybe the will consider a new naming convention that will include both the Plugin version# as well as the SE version #s (possibly more than 1) that it works with.  In addition maybe they will consider zero-filling #s too (i.e. so 4.1 and 4.10 don't look the same, use 4.01 and 4.10).

• 6923 posts
    November 8, 2017 3:07 PM EST

I'm not sure what you mean. The new certified marketplace shows:

Compatible SE version

Plugin Version

The requirements for plugins are that they must conform to SE versions. So an expert makes one now and it's 4.9. In the SE official plugins, we are on p3 which is patch 3. So for Core it is on 4.9.4p4 which is patch 4. Plugins are on version 4.9.4p3 as they didn't need an update with this patch release. The file names correspond with the plugin such as blog and then the version in full (4.9.4p3).

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at November 9, 2017 6:02 AM EST
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    November 8, 2017 3:38 PM EST

Yes that is what is listed now when I look at files in my account, but there are times when they don't matchup as per screenshot below.  What I began doing just recently is downloading into a separate folder each time SE releases an upgrade or patch so that I am able to group compatible versions.  So basically, I disregard any differences since the files listed and downloadable at any point in time should be compatible (except for when loading this page while SE is in the process of making new files available as happened to me once).

As far as 4.1 and 4.10 looking similar, that is because (to me) mathematically they are (but I'm sure someone might argue that 4.1, 4.10, wnd 4.1000000000 are different), and in many sort functions they are treated the same.  Hence why I mentioned for the structure to be more clear (4.01 and 4.10 should not make anyone think they are the same).

But I could obviously be thinking something wacky, so disregard my idea if it makes sense to noone but me

• 6923 posts
    November 9, 2017 6:01 AM EST

They don't match up when a plugin needs an update that other plugins don't. These are all separate plugins. So let's say in your above screenshot you see video-sharing is 4.9.2. That's because it needed an update that groups at 4.9.1 didn't need. This is normal and as it should be since they are individual plugins. 

• 474 posts
    November 9, 2017 8:51 AM EST

Hei Donna.

thanks For the info.

mikel.

• 6923 posts
    November 9, 2017 8:54 AM EST

You're welcome mikel!

• gs
    • 857 posts
    November 9, 2017 11:13 AM EST

==>"They don't match up when a plugin needs an update that other plugins don't."

Which I can understand due to the version naming convention SE uses, hence why it would be great if there were archives available so it would be simple to know which files 'work together'.  So it's very possible that any particular minor revision (ex. the XX in 4.09.xx) could have multiple archive folders, but at least there would be no confusion as to what works with what.  This is what I'm trying to accomplish by making my own SE folders every single time revision and/or patch is made - I download everything available in my account at that point in time and label the folder accordingly (along with links and descriptions to the posts about the reason for the update file(s)).