Feed (What's New) page

• 71 posts
    November 21, 2017 4:11 AM EST

Hey, community builders and developers!

I wonder what kind of settings you use for the member home feed? Do you let people see all the activity or just the activity from friends/followers?

I think there is a problem here for small/new communities. Usually, there are not enough people for users to connect with to get enough activity in the feed (if the feed is set to show activity from friends only).

But if the feed is set to show all the posts in the community - there is too much noise (and no way to unfollow some user to avoid his/her posts).

What option do you prefer? Or do you use some kind of workaround (like automatically connecting every new user to admin/moderators)? 

• 6923 posts
    November 21, 2017 4:37 AM EST

Good question. My author site is a small community as I don't promote it. No time. It is slowly growing though and should get a boost when I publish my first book in a few weeks. The answer to your question is dependent upon the type of community someone has. For my site, with authors, literary agents, readers, etc - it must be public. Other type of sites, let's say those focused on privacy as those are hot these days, they require things as friends only - for added privacy.

What I do is limit some things from showing in the feed. I do not care to see who is friends with who, who changed their profile photo, and things that don't add to the site intent. I do like to see who joined as that does matter for a site like mine as connections are important.

One more thing I do is disable external notifications via the admin settings. Users can then decide if they want to get those notifications themselves. Why? Because I use transactional mail services and want to keep my reputation up so as not to get sanctions. If I get a spammer (which is very rare for me due to my set up), I don't get bounced emails to that account before I get it deleted as I do watch my site and remove spammers quickly. I only brought this up because you mentioned the no way to unfollow a post (which I do want to have in the script).

• gs
    • 857 posts
    November 22, 2017 12:10 AM EST

==>'One more thing I do is disable external notifications via the admin settings.'

Is there a setting for this or do you just uncheck all email notifications?

• 6923 posts
    November 22, 2017 4:50 AM EST

I just unchecked all of them. It helps reduce it a lot.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    November 22, 2017 11:47 AM EST
    Thanks @Donna. I'll leave my old FR as is then.