Forums » SEPHP Help and Tips

Fresh install of Social engine without losing users/content

• 38 posts
    December 11, 2017 2:01 AM EST

Greetings... For a while now I've had none stop issues with social engine, everything from unable to delete users (due to errors) to users unable to delete their own accounts (error page again) among other things

We recently decided to change servers, As per usual Its not as simple as any other platform to move (Such as druple, joomula etc) we keep running into the same issues as something in the files are super hardcoded and such, so we decided we'd just like to fresh install and reinstall our plugins etc from scratch

All the faqs pages and stuff have been pretty much useless And I was wondering if anyone had a step by step process so I can not lose my users/photos etc? Preferably without having to pay someone as I have a professional server tech I pay for already.

• 69 posts
    December 11, 2017 3:50 AM EST

Usually, there are no problems with domain change for SocialEngine. But it's hard to say as you might have some 3rd party plugins or theme with the domain hardcoded.

My advice - try to download the website to a local test server or into some subdomain/subfolder first. Check if everything works there before the migration to a new domain.

• 38 posts
    December 11, 2017 4:22 AM EST

I didn't say anything about a domain change, I'm just changing servers not our domain name, and No its not the 3rd party plugins or theme, Its social engine itself that has things hardcoded, I have tested a fresh install countless times trying to move it and have nothing but hardship everytime, yet I can move druple/joomla, oxwall etc super easily without any issues, social engine completely spazzes out if I try to move it, I have tried with my own physical server boxes, and server boxes in data centers and get the same results every time. Following the Guide on social engines official website is useless As its not even fully correct on permissions and stuff the platform needs.

What I am asking in this post is the following

Is there anyway for me to install a fresh copy of social engine and put my users/their profiles/posts/pictures etc back on the site? 

• 4210 posts
    December 11, 2017 4:29 AM EST

That's odd. I'm not having any issues on my sites that moved but we are updating the moving servers tutorial to include a step to change the cache folder :

An important point: There is a server specific path which has to be set to ensure that your site runs correctly on your new server. We suggest that you contact your hosting company to make sure that this cache directory path is set correctly in this file: /application/settings/cache.php. You can find it under the variable “cache_dir”.

Also, in the same file, you would change the “default_file_path” to match the cache directory path.

If you are not sure about this you can ask your hosting company to help you with this.

1. Clear your site cache by either renaming the /temporary/cache folder to /temporary/cachebu or by clearing it from your
      This post was edited by Donna at December 11, 2017 4:31 AM EST
    • 38 posts
    December 11, 2017 4:36 AM EST

Once again... That is not my question.................

I'll repeat myself for the 3rd time..

What I'd like to do is "Freshly install" Social engine as the title of this forum post says, But I'd like to do so without losing my users/content/posts/pictures/profiles etc... Does anyone know how to do that step by step?

Moving my website even if I can pull it off, isn't going to resolve the issues i've been having with things being broken for years... (like unable to delete profiles due to technical errors etc) 

So my questions is

1) Is it possible to fresh install without losing posts/content/pictures/users/profiles
    2) if its possible how is it done

• 4210 posts
    December 11, 2017 4:38 AM EST

Not that I know of because everything is interconnected in the database and you can get database corruption. That is why Webhive and I had the answers we had. To help you.

• 4210 posts
    December 11, 2017 4:39 AM EST

BTW, we have a fix coming for a user delete issue if your issue is from old users unable to delete. It may not fix it if you have the advanced activity feed but it will fix it for the general site. If it's an issue with new users, that's not something we have any issues with on default installs. 

• 38 posts
    December 11, 2017 4:47 AM EST

Its a issue with old profiles, I can delete new profiles just fine

I'll pass along what you said to my server tech but I think hes already done things like that, what he keeps telling me is theirs a ton of files in social engine that are super hardcoded making it very complicated to move, he has shown me that he is able to move druple, joomula, word presss, oxwall, elgg etc just fine 

but social engine? we moved it eariler today and no one could post to the wall and we kept getting a undefine error for wall posting, Pms was broken you, could send them but not respond to them as it gave me a error page etc...things like that, we had to undo the move because the site was basically none usable

This post was edited by SpiritWolfie at December 11, 2017 4:48 AM EST
    • 4210 posts
    December 11, 2017 4:52 AM EST

Double check that permissions are set per our recommendations, https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/2777304-optimized-file-and-folder-permissions?b_id=14386

Check that the server meets the requirements, just go through the list in case perhaps it is missing something or maybe has mod_sec enabled or something, https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1649350-socialengine-requirements and those were updated recently.

• 4210 posts
    December 11, 2017 4:53 AM EST

Feel free to post a snippet of the error (in code tags which is the button next to the smiley button).

• 38 posts
    December 11, 2017 5:00 AM EST

Donna... our servers has always met Social engines requirements out of the box, Even my physically own servers meet them, Theirs nothing special about the requirements or nothing hardcore, Most server boxes by default configurations (on most installations of the OS) meet those requirements, I have checked with like 4 different OS's and by default they have all that stuff meeting it fine...

We have double, triple, quadruple checked your guy's Faq page a million and one times over, its the same issues anytime we try to relocate it to any of my personal boxes, or Even a "SE recommended provider" or another provider of our choices, it doesn't matter where we put it, or what servers we try we get the same issues every-time.

I know for a fact its not my tech messing up, Because we have compared our ability to move social engine with other platforms, We have zero errors moving any other platform or my 7+ game servers, or gallery websites etc, Zero problems, This is been a ongoing issue I have repeatedly complained about for years with Social engins platform
    ---

To make things simpler

Is this specif area of the forums for SE owners only? if so could I be granted permission to let my Server tech use my profile to communicate about the problems where having, or can he access this specif spot on the forums without owning the platform?

• 38 posts
    December 11, 2017 5:07 AM EST

and for the record, We have installed a Fresh copy of SE (zero plugins zero custom code) and tried to move it to my other server box and things wigged out hardcore, so its not a issue with plugins etc.

• 4210 posts
    December 11, 2017 5:24 AM EST

He should be able to see it without being a client but he needs to not join as a client per our terms or you can let him log in as you.

Regarding the requirements, we did update them recently. 

I've not had any issues with my site moves. I moved my main site from a subfolder to a main folder, changed servers twice, changed my demo servers twice. Each time it's gone without a hitch. I am sure there's some issue on your move and don't doubt you are experiencing something with your moves and am only trying to help. The permission tutorial is best done via ftp in order to set perms recursively for fresh or current site.

This post was edited by Donna at December 11, 2017 5:25 AM EST
    • 38 posts
    December 11, 2017 5:28 AM EST

Ok, I may let him use my profile and i'll just have him add a tag on his posts to let you know your speaking to him

As for the FTP statement, we've always done everything Via ftp, we've even tried things like webmin and Plesk and tried it without said tools as well. but FTP has always been our main way of doing things and setting permissions and what not.

• 0 posts
    December 11, 2017 8:11 AM EST

Hi, you can make a fresh install with the new database and then connect the old database to the new installation. 

Note: If your SE or plugins will be upgraded, please first upgrade them on your current server. 

This post was edited by Donna at December 11, 2017 8:58 AM EST
    • 4210 posts
    December 11, 2017 8:56 AM EST
    Freelancer said:

Hi, you can make a fresh install with the new database and then connect the old database to the new installation. 

Note:If your SE or plugins will be upgraded, please first upgrade them on your current server. 

That won't actually be a fresh install as it still has all the old plugins that he may have not wanted in the db.

• 38 posts
    January 2, 2018 1:28 PM EST

We managed to move it with lots of headach....

This process should honestly be allot more simpler, we should be able to just move it like any other platform. 

I would highly suggest that SE looks at druple/joomla/oxwall and stuff on how easy it is to update/move from one server to another, because SE is one of the hardest platforms we've ever tried to move from one server to another.

• 4210 posts
    January 3, 2018 4:43 AM EST

I hadn't had trouble moving my live site and demo. Just did it a few months ago at cazaratech. I don't  have third party plugins to deal with though and I had the basic file caching at that time without cdn set up. I'm sure it can be trickier with cdn and other caching though.