Considering SE PHP 4 as the base for a large livecams site

• 378 posts
    February 20, 2018 5:15 PM EST

Perfect - as I think you are full of it.

Good luck.

(edited to stay within terms of use of the forum)

This post was edited by ITLJames at February 20, 2018 10:01 PM EST
    • 45 posts
    February 20, 2018 9:51 PM EST

My website is very small but I think I would agree with DreamCoder about performance issues and random bugs that sometimes I wonder if anyone is even using SE in production. I choose to fix the issues, add my own features/modifications and optimize mysql queries by myself as I want to have a unique website and I don't mind that SE is not perfect, it's best from all CMSs I tested in this category.

Also things to remember is it's not just a small blog or forum, you need to have a beefy servers to run 500, 000 users and depends how many you have online at the same time. I have separated it into 3 servers for easier scalability down the road: application server with php, apache; database server; static content and user uploads server.

SE by default uses a lot of mysql queries that I have cut down to the minimum and it's still not where I would want to be. Things like layout blocks, enabled modules, popular/recent blocks for each section etc. are very easy to cache and then you can just clear cache when adding/updating that item. "Online members, referring URLs, post views" are some of the things I completely ripped out as I think it's a waste of resources. There are many things like "theme" or "storage system" that would probably never or barely change once website is launched, but for some reason they still add mysql queries and are not cached. I ran some debugging for database queries and basically cached everything that was easy enough to do and will revisit it when it really becomes a problem.

I don't think you will have any issues as you have a dev team and any large website you will need to optimize, don't expect it to run out of the box. It's not just limited to CMS, web server optimization is also important. SE is a great starting point.

I respect that moderators didn't remove DreamCoder's posts and accept criticism.

• 6923 posts
    February 21, 2018 4:55 AM EST
    Stepan said:

My website is very small but I think I would agree with DreamCoder about performance issues and random bugs that sometimes I wonder if anyone is even using SE in production. I choose to fix the issues, add my own features/modifications and optimize mysql queries by myself as I want to have a unique website and I don't mind that SE is not perfect, it's best from all CMSs I tested in this category.

There are many sites using it in production. I've been on some very large adult sites (working in support) and those over 100k. Glad you think it's the best you've tried. I found the same result when I tested many of them about a year or two ago when leaving another script. I also use SE in my live author site. Very small site as I've no time to promote it at this time.

Also things to remember is it's not just a small blog or forum, you need to have a beefy servers to run 500, 000 users and depends how many you have online at the same time. I have separated it into 3 servers for easier scalability down the road: application server with php, apache; database server; static content and user uploads server.

SE by default uses a lot of mysql queries that I have cut down to the minimum and it's still not where I would want to be. Things like layout blocks, enabled modules, popular/recent blocks for each section etc. are very easy to cache and then you can just clear cache when adding/updating that item. "Online members, referring URLs, post views" are some of the things I completely ripped out as I think it's a waste of resources. There are many things like "theme" or "storage system" that would probably never or barely change once website is launched, but for some reason they still add mysql queries and are not cached. I ran some debugging for database queries and basically cached everything that was easy enough to do and will revisit it when it really becomes a problem.

Still working on improvements. Flash was first.

I don't think you will have any issues as you have a dev team and any large website you will need to optimize, don't expect it to run out of the box. It's not just limited to CMS, web server optimization is also important. SE is a great starting point.

I respect that moderators didn't remove DreamCoder's posts and accept criticism.

We don't remove constructive criticism. If it goes to bashing, then we remove. We can handle constructive view points and we do listen and use feedback to find areas to improve. Everyone can improve. No one will improve if they only keep happy posts and never learn from client feedback - good and bad feedback.

Thanks everyone for your posts here. I hope they helped the OP and our team as well to see what to work on next.