Community

Forums » SEPHP Feature Requests

Notification/Email-Notification revamp idea

• gs
    • 750 posts
    July 11, 2017 6:23 PM EDT

Summary: Redo Notification/Email-Notifcation system to provide more flexibility for both ADMIN and Users.

Details of settings, steps to use or see this feature, benefits.:

Details of settings: see in screenshots

Steps to use or see this feature: extention of what we ADMINs already do; other is included in screenshots

Benefits: Part of what I'm trying to accomplish is to:

• Minimize notifications and outgoing emails
    • Prevent sending certain emails
    • Make the names of the groupings of notifications more meaningful (instead of Plugin titles), as well as making the Trigger/Descriptions more meaningful to Users and specific to one's site

IMHO, there's simply too many notifications and email notifications floating around.  There's little that an ADMIN or User can actually do to minimize much of this.  This situation gets compounded once the number of Plugins are installed (especially certain Plugins that are very content/activity driven).

Part of this would be the requirement that 3rd-Party Devs integrate with what SE provides so that all their notifications/email-notifications can be administered in one place.  This is just an initial layout of ideas, and thus doesn't address the actual emails themselves.

Add screenshots when possible.

Any other information you want to share that is relevant to the feature being requested. This might include the lines of code that you have identified as needing improvements and potential solutions (and your opinions on their merits).  This may be a little more than a single FR, but it's all interrelated so I wasn't sure how to break it out into pieces (i.e. separate FRs). Procedures/processes/steps aren't specified in detail, but rather just the overall concept is in the screenshots.

As this is just an initial concept, it is obviously open to suggestions and critique, so join in and lets make this aspect of SE more flexible than it is now.

This post was edited by gs at July 11, 2017 6:29 PM EDT
    • 2292 posts
    July 12, 2017 4:50 AM EDT

Thanks for the detailed FR with screenshots. This is a great example of how to make an FR for us. It can stay as it is as the request involves one basic area to improve - emailed notifications. 

• July 14, 2017 7:33 PM EDT
    gs said:

Summary: Redo Notification/Email-Notifcation system to provide more flexibility for both ADMIN and Users.

Details of settings, steps to use or see this feature, benefits.:

Details of settings: see in screenshots

Steps to use or see this feature: extention of what we ADMINs already do; other is included in screenshots

Benefits: Part of what I'm trying to accomplish is to:

• Minimize notifications and outgoing emails
    • Prevent sending certain emails
    • Make the names of the groupings of notifications more meaningful (instead of Plugin titles), as well as making the Trigger/Descriptions more meaningful to Users and specific to one's site

IMHO, there's simply too many notifications and email notifications floating around.  There's little that an ADMIN or User can actually do to minimize much of this.  This situation gets compounded once the number of Plugins are installed (especially certain Plugins that are very content/activity driven).

Part of this would be the requirement that 3rd-Party Devs integrate with what SE provides so that all their notifications/email-notifications can be administered in one place.  This is just an initial layout of ideas, and thus doesn't address the actual emails themselves.

Add screenshots when possible.

Any other information you want to share that is relevant to the feature being requested. This might include the lines of code that you have identified as needing improvements and potential solutions (and your opinions on their merits).  This may be a little more than a single FR, but it's all interrelated so I wasn't sure how to break it out into pieces (i.e. separate FRs). Procedures/processes/steps aren't specified in detail, but rather just the overall concept is in the screenshots.

As this is just an initial concept, it is obviously open to suggestions and critique, so join in and lets make this aspect of SE more flexible than it is now.

Hi GS. Have you tried customizing the email templates?

Also one thing you could do is post a feature update for the ability to enable or disable specific types of notifications from being sent at all.

• gs
    • 750 posts
    July 14, 2017 8:44 PM EDT

i use a 3rd-party plugin 4 email templates, but that doesnt address this FR.  

==>"Also one thing you could do is post a feature update for the ability to enable or disable specific types of notifications from being sent at all."

that wld be good 2.  the mockup addresses all notifications individually 4 micro-control, but grouping cb added 2 that i suppose. although that doesnt necessarily add more control, it might make some thgs quicker 2 config.

thx Elshara 4 ur insight here and other FRs :)

• July 14, 2017 8:49 PM EDT
    gs said:

i use a 3rd-party plugin 4 email templates, but that doesnt address this FR.  

==>"Also one thing you could do is post a feature update for the ability to enable or disable specific types of notifications from being sent at all."

that wld be good 2.  the mockup addresses all notifications individually 4 micro-control, but grouping cb added 2 that i suppose. although that doesnt necessarily add more control, it might make some thgs quicker 2 config.

thx Elshara 4 ur insight here and other FRs :)

You're welcome. I'm glad to help, always. No worries there. Feel free to check out other posts I've contributed to in case you like them, you can mention me any time.

I think the best way to handle email notifications is to make them customizable where people know where to always look for them. Make it a position somewhere people know to check often. So they can grab the same content on site as well as off, in case the actual email hosting is not working out.

• gs
    • 750 posts
    July 14, 2017 9:06 PM EDT

==>"I think the best way to handle email notifications is to make them customizable where people know where to always look for them. Make it a position somewhere people know to check often. So they can grab the same content on site as well as off, in case the actual email hosting is not working out."

so do u mean 2 have access 2 ur emails from within SE since the content cb diff than notifications? if so, ive sortof created this by using SocialEngineMarket's RoundCube plugin.  it is not accessing an internal database of ur emails though (like regular notifications), just allowing access 2 wherever u have the emails sent externally. great plugin and great great great dev.

• July 14, 2017 9:56 PM EDT
    gs said:

==>"I think the best way to handle email notifications is to make them customizable where people know where to always look for them. Make it a position somewhere people know to check often. So they can grab the same content on site as well as off, in case the actual email hosting is not working out."

so do u mean 2 have access 2 ur emails from within SE since the content cb diff than notifications? if so, ive sortof created this by using SocialEngineMarket's RoundCube plugin.  it is not accessing an internal database of ur emails though (like regular notifications), just allowing access 2 wherever u have the emails sent externally. great plugin and great great great dev.

Yes, something similar is what I'm referring to. Imagine the ability to view online every email ever sent to you in a private interface connected with social engine notifications. That's what I'm wishing to achieve.

• gs
    • 750 posts
    July 14, 2017 11:18 PM EDT

actually, the SEM plugin i mentioned basically does this, depending on how ur email and/or filters and/or forwarders are setup.  but even though its only a menu click away, its viewing ur email thats 'out there' rather than somethg internal 2 SE.

• July 14, 2017 11:25 PM EDT
    gs said:

actually, the SEM plugin i mentioned basically does this, depending on how ur email and/or filters and/or forwarders are setup.  but even though its only a menu click away, its viewing ur email thats 'out there' rather than somethg internal 2 SE.

Porting it to be internal may be easier than you think. Using a cron job or task scheduler setting it could be possible. /As long as there was a way to have each user have their own private unique email address the program knows to deliver and port messages to and from respectively.

• 130 posts
    September 16, 2017 2:51 PM EDT

SE Needs and I mean NEEDS to have a mass overide button for members notifications.

I have over 1000 members and installed a new plugin.
     which meant ever user prior to new plugin had that new plugin set to yes by default for notifications.

But I dont want them having emails for 10 different things related to the plugin, I want them to have zero.

But no mass overide button.

So I had to do this.

Login as user, navigate to the notification section, untick all notifications that became auto active.
    Logout
    Login as Admin
    find next user
    Login as user, navigate to the notification section, untick all notifications that became auto active and save.
    Logout
    Login as Admin
    find next user
    Login as user, navigate to the notification section, untick all notifications that became auto active  and save.
    Logout
    Login as Admin
    find next user
    Login as user, navigate to the notification section, untick all notifications that became auto active and save.
    Logout
    Login as Admin
    find next user...........................................

............. You get the picture.... litrally this.... 1000 times, it took a week!!!!!!!

This post was edited by Daniel at September 16, 2017 2:53 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 750 posts
    September 16, 2017 3:05 PM EDT

==>"SE Needs and I mean NEEDS to have a mass overide button for members notifications."

Yep.  Double-Yep.  I originally asked about that ages ago in the previous community and thought I was simply missing a setting somewhere.  When I found out it didn't exist, I was shocked.  Something so basic - it's like not having a main breaker in your breaker panel.  Common sense, but it's been overlooked forever.  Definitely not a way to run a railroad :)

The entire notifications/email-notifications should be revamped (and include your FR about emailed notifications appearing in the internal message system).  After installing a new Plugin, all I can do for now is untick everything in Default Notifications. 

We were told that after 4.09.03 was released some of the FRs would be addressed.  Maybe after 4.10 is released SE will begin accepting/developing some of these much-needed FRs, now that their Certified Marketplace is on it's way and should help them generate more revenue so they can focus on further bettering SE - especailly items in the ADMINcp.  So many of the previous and current FRs aren't actually FRs - they're simply requests to get current (PHP 7.*, Flash, etc.).  Thankfully those have been addresses.  Looking forward to a more thoughtout ADMINcp with more useful functionality.  I don't need a better Theme or Photo Album or other modules - I already have them with 3PD products.  What I don't have is functionality I need in ADMINcp (that 3PDs typically won't touch). 

• 130 posts
    September 16, 2017 3:48 PM EDT

Notifications section hasnt been touched since SE PHP 3.

Same with profile signup.

Soooo old and outdated.

I dont care about new themes or little touches or that flash is being removed.

Iveeven suggested Id crowd fund the team to get this stuff done..... but nothing!

The core signup , notifications and networks section needs revamp.... not the profile type section as mentioned by Social Engine!

This post was edited by Daniel at September 16, 2017 3:49 PM EDT
    • 2292 posts
    September 17, 2017 5:50 AM EDT

The profile type does need fixing as you wanted that browse member page issue fixed for better searching. 

Flash must be removed or your users won't be able to use chrome nor will you. It is blocking things from working now.

As for this request we will consider it after we look at things once 4.10 is done. :)

• 130 posts
    September 19, 2017 5:50 PM EDT

I thought that browse member function was fixed ages ago?

Whats wrong with the profile type? Is there a profile type bug?
    I dont use multiple profile types so I dont know of this bug?

• 2292 posts
    September 20, 2017 4:52 AM EDT
    Daniel said:

Yes it was. I am talking about the other feature request you wanted. No it's not a bug, it's an improvement.

• 2292 posts
    September 20, 2017 4:52 AM EDT
    Daniel said:

Yes it was. I am talking about the other feature request you wanted. No it's not a bug, it's an improvement.

• 130 posts
    September 21, 2017 11:07 AM EDT
    Donna said:
    Daniel said:

Feature request? Unsure which that be. Intrigued now

• gs
    • 750 posts
    March 12, 2018 8:36 PM EDT

I'd like to update this FR to include columns (just like mockup: 2 columns for ADMINcp, 1 column for User) for Privacy Settings/Notifications for Activity Feed since it seems many of the items are the same.  This way this one table would list all Notifications (email, updates, recent activity feed).