Community

Forums » Feature Requests to Experts

Commenting in WordPress using SocialEngine accounts

• 28 posts
    July 12, 2017 4:31 AM EDT

We are researching a new plugin idea and will be interested if somebody is looking for a solution like this.

I know many communities that use separate WordPress installations for news section and are looking for SE-WP integrations. We have done such integrations in part, but since it requires core modifications of either WP or SE such integration make it hard to keep both setups easily upgraded.

What we are planning to implement is to make WP commenting plugin that will add SocialEngine comment into WordPress posts. Something similar to Disqus, but members can use SE accounts for commenting. This way both SE and WP can be easily upgraded in future without any code modifications.

• July 14, 2017 8:13 PM EDT
    Eugene Sutula said:

We are researching a new plugin idea and will be interested if somebody is looking for a solution like this.

I know many communities that use separate WordPress installations for news section and are looking for SE-WP integrations. We have done such integrations in part, but since it requires core modifications of either WP or SE such integration make it hard to keep both setups easily upgraded.

What we are planning to implement is to make WP commenting plugin that will add SocialEngine comment into WordPress posts. Something similar to Disqus, but members can use SE accounts for commenting. This way both SE and WP can be easily upgraded in future without any code modifications.

Eugene Sutula, welcome to the community!

I totally am in love with this idea! I would love to use a word press chat installation in tandem with social engine. And be able to use custom post types and taxonomies with different post types integration with social engine profiles and modules.

What a wonderful idea this will be!

• 5 posts
    July 25, 2017 4:42 PM EDT

I like this idea, too. We were considering to have a WP installation running beside our SE installation, just because WP is so much easier in SEO things. However, we missed the opportunity of interaction of our members and we don't want them to have another/separate account on WP. It's a great idea!

• July 26, 2017 11:29 PM EDT

One thing you could do is feed your posts through wp and then use menu items to link wp to the social engine site. I did this and it works well. No database integration but that's okay. The posts show up as a wp archive which is search engine optimized.

• 28 posts
    July 27, 2017 7:51 AM EDT

One thing you could do is feed your posts through wp and then use menu items to link wp to the social engine site. I did this and it works well.

Do you mean showing all WP posts in the SE feed?

• September 9, 2017 10:02 PM EDT

Yeah that's one way of doing it. There's RSS capabilities for this I think.

• September 9, 2017 10:04 PM EDT

Now the thing is, you want to make a plugin so that people using an existing SE account, could link to a word press site. That's a bit different than what I originally thought. I don't even know why you'd wish to redirect social engine users to the word press site in this way. I was thinking more or less the opposite would be true, and then just feed word press posts if any, to social engine topics.

• 28 posts
    September 11, 2017 4:00 AM EDT

Many of our clients have WordPress installed. It's used for news post (sometimes long before the community website). This plugin will give them an option to

1. let members discuss under WP posts using their existing accounts

2. lure new members into the community from WP website.

Actually, we are evolving the idea a bit to allow more options where to use this. I'll post updates soon.