Community

Forums » Website Feedback

MarketPlace Purchase - future payments issue

• gs
    • 359 posts
    February 13, 2018 3:13 PM EST

For the first time, I attempted to make a purchase from the MarketPlace of a Certified Plugin, but cancelled the order due to the following.

Why is SE setting up a 'future payment'/recurring situation?  There is nothing about this order that is recurring, and I have no desire to (pre)approve any business for future payments or recurring using my billing information if I'm not actually setting up a recurring situation.  If there's truly no 'recurring' or 'future payment' situation here, then SE should change this to a 'normal' Paypal purchase.  I do NOT want to approve or authorize anything other than this one-time purchase, not even a default for any future payments. 

So, how do I go about purchasing this Plugin without these hassles?  Thank you.

This post was edited by gs at February 13, 2018 3:13 PM EST
    • 1262 posts
    February 14, 2018 4:56 AM EST

The future payments is in case you want to purchase again. It makes it faster if you authorize that. There is no recurring unless you purchase support. I will check with the team to get more info about this though as we may need to change the wording for clients since that phrase is for experts as they have a yearly fee.

• 1262 posts
    February 14, 2018 5:26 AM EST

We will fix the phrase at our site as it's not recurring payments. 

• gs
    • 359 posts
    February 14, 2018 10:37 AM EST

==> '...We will fix the phrase at our site...'

==> '... The future payments is in case you want to purchase again. It makes it faster if you authorize that....'

So will this change at PayPal's end too?  I won't authorize this for any purchase that's not recurring, and there's no way to continue the payment process unless I authorize this.  SE shouldn't make financial choices for us, but only offer to.  We buyers should have the choice to make up our own minds on things like this - especially financial.  IMHO of coure.  If every other site can handle 'regular' purchases without requiring this 'future payment setup' thing, I'm sure there's a way that SE can do the same :)

If this is the way the new Certified Marketplace is going to work, it poses a real issue for me as I refuse to authorize SE here, yet at some point in the future there will be Plugins that I require (the current purchase isn't a requirement - just an inexpensive, very useful app).  At that time it will be a crucial dilemma.

This post was edited by gs at February 14, 2018 10:38 AM EST
    • 1262 posts
    February 14, 2018 11:19 AM EST

We will look at it in future updates but this is how it works for Apple purchases as well as many others. It is not recurring, it is allowing future payments if you choose to purchase. You still have to authorize the other purchases each time. It doesn't automatically choose to add things to your account if you are concerned about that. 

• gs
    • 359 posts
    February 14, 2018 7:01 PM EST

Whatever Apple does doesn't matter either to me as I refuse to use Apple products (for many reasons, especially their 'they know what's best for everyone' attitude which is what this new Certified MarketPlace PayPal purchase process seems to be telling me).

So, the good news is I don't have to bother with any of this if I simply use a CC instead of PayPal (which I did).  Everyone's happy I guess :)

• 32 posts
    February 14, 2018 10:39 PM EST

You could also just pay with PayPal and then cancel pre-approved payment from PayPal's settings. It's not a big deal, many places do it and I too cancel it as I don't feel comfortable having it set up.

• gs
    • 359 posts
    February 14, 2018 11:07 PM EST

Thanks for the great idea Stepan - an option that I may use next time, since PayPal is much easier for me (I can easily recall numerous different PayPal accts, but not CC numbers as easily).  But whatever extra unnecessary steps we're stuck with here fortunately won't be used too often by me.

Appreciate your useful suggestion.

• 1262 posts
    February 15, 2018 6:15 AM EST

I only used Apple as one example. There are many others but we will do an improvement in the future for Paypal. Yes, you can also use credit card which doesn't do the future payments option. 

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Stepan for your help here too.