Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

upgrade issue with 4.10

• February 17, 2018 4:04 AM EST

• 5860 posts
    February 17, 2018 5:44 AM EST

This doesn't follow our posting guidelines stickied at the top of this section. We don't have enough info. We aren't able to reproduce this when upgrading from 4.9.4 or 4.8.13. What version were you upgrading from?

• 38 posts
    February 17, 2018 6:58 AM EST

Honestly having the same issue on my end too... I think SEAO plugins might be causing it, last time I had this issue it was something to do with SEAO and SE trying to create the same table columns... I don't remember how to fix it or where to find the duplicates so we can remove them to update core and activity.

• February 17, 2018 7:05 AM EST
    Donna said:

This doesn't follow our posting guidelines stickied at the top of this section. We don't have enough info. We aren't able to reproduce this when upgrading from 4.9.4 or 4.8.13. What version were you upgrading from?

i am upgrading from 4.9.4p4

php 5.6.3

just installed a simple upgrade 

This post was edited by Mafindi (Mahammad Abbas) at February 17, 2018 7:12 AM EST
    • 38 posts
    February 17, 2018 7:16 AM EST
    Mafindi said:
    Donna said:

php 5.6.3

Do you have any social engine addon plugins? any at all

For the love of all thats holy fix the tinymc editor or whatever your using this is crazy bad...

This post was edited by SpiritWolfie at February 17, 2018 7:16 AM EST
  • February 17, 2018 7:18 AM EST
    SpiritWolfie said:
    Mafindi said:
    Donna said:

php 5.6.3

For the love of all thats holy fix the tinymc editor or whatever your using this is crazy bad...

yes i, do , i have notification plugin and advanced albums.

i stayed away from the rest. 

• 38 posts
    February 17, 2018 7:22 AM EST

Your have to contact SEAO as something from their plugins is interfering with the database column creation.

i'm already contacting them trying to get it to fix it on my end, I don't understand why nether SEAO or SE has fixed this issue.

I did read they said they where going to improve this process a while back and found the blogs stating this but it seems its still a big issue...

Also please for all thats holy fix the TINYMC editor, quoting is broken etc...

This post was edited by SpiritWolfie at February 17, 2018 7:24 AM EST
  • February 17, 2018 7:37 AM EST

thanks ,

i will wait for donnas reply then i will give it a try, they should talk it out first or we will have a repeat.

• 5860 posts
    February 17, 2018 7:53 AM EST

I see that advanced feeds is installed on sites with this issue. It is possible that plugin created a column (modified the source of SE) and could be causing this issue as well as other issues. It is important to check with third parties before upgrading.

• 5860 posts
    February 17, 2018 7:55 AM EST
    SpiritWolfie said:
    Mafindi said:
    Donna said:

php 5.6.3

I don't see anything wrong with the editor. You have to hit a line to drop down under the quote. 

• 38 posts
    February 17, 2018 7:55 AM EST
    Donna said:

I see that advanced feeds is installed on sites with this issue. It is possible that plugin created a column (modified the source of SE) and could be causing this issue as well as other issues. It is important to check with third parties before upgrading.

Donna would you happen to know which tables this might be?

• 5860 posts
    February 17, 2018 8:02 AM EST

The ones that show it is duplicated in the screenshot. For some reason, they must have added columns. Since our dev team is off, we wouldn't be able to do anything for this sort of issue caused by third parties. We had made other improvements before when third party issues interfered but normally scripts don't do that. I do have a message in to the team to see if there is some other improvement we can make if a third party product modifies our core files or database. 

• 5860 posts
    February 17, 2018 8:05 AM EST

If I had the activity feed plugin, I could install it on a local and see but I don't have their product. Only other option is to go database diving and see what columns they added or check their code. If you had a 4.9.4 installed without plugins in a development site, you could check that database and then see what happens after you install their plugins.

• 38 posts
    February 17, 2018 8:07 AM EST
    Donna said:

The ones that show it is duplicated in the screenshot. For some reason, they must have added columns. Since our dev team is off, we wouldn't be able to do anything for this sort of issue caused by third parties. We had made other improvements before when third party issues interfered but normally scripts don't do that. I do have a message in to the team to see if there is some other improvement we can make if a third party product modifies our core files or database. 

It doesn't say which tables though, would you happen to know which tables and such? If we knew this we would know what to remove to fix this so we can update it.

if you have any ideas where we should look cause the errors logs don't say, We know how to fix it just need to know which table/location.

• 38 posts
    February 17, 2018 8:11 AM EST

Alright, I'll wait for SEAO's response and once they tell me what tables/where they are and how to fix it, i'll post the fix here...

but honestly ether SEAO or SE needs to have something in place to prevent this type of interference, or you guys need to open up a communication together to this specif issue resolved, we the customers shouldn't have to go digging though millions of pages on google/overstack etc to figure out how to fix something that is caused by ether you, or them, Theirs gotta be a solution for both of you to include updates and not block them due to a duplicate column issue?

• February 17, 2018 8:11 AM EST

thanks,

sorry i ignored the rules

• 5860 posts
    February 17, 2018 8:15 AM EST

When we say in our blog to not upgrade until you check with third parties, it is in order to not cause issues such as this. Experts had plenty of time with the beta and rc releases to see the 4.10 and upgrade / update their products accordingly. TBH, all of them should have by now. It's been out for months now. Am I perturbed? Hell yes. Why? Not because of you. Because this shouldn't happen when a release has been out for months in beta form and for a while now in rc form. I don't like clients having issues. It blows. 

If experts did not have sufficient time to update, they had sufficient time to send notices to their clients not to upgrade until they get their stuff done. At the very least, that should have happened. I will go check my database to see which area that params column could be. I'm hampered by a lack of having those third party products to see their code.

• 5860 posts
    February 17, 2018 8:18 AM EST
    Mafindi said:

thanks,

sorry i ignored the rules

It's ok. I am not upset with you. I am infamous for being irked/upset when clients have issues like this due to third party products. 

I am not seeing this on sites without the products. My own site upgrade went without any problems. My ScriptTechs demo went without issues. This site upgrade went fine. Our own demo went fine. It is so upsetting for clients not to have the same experience. :( We tried so hard to get something out that was great and awesome only to see some clients with these sort of issues that are out of our hands atm. 

• February 17, 2018 8:19 AM EST

calm down ,you should visit okinawa for a few days, have some fresh air, too many naughty boys around you. 

• 38 posts
    February 17, 2018 8:21 AM EST

I agree with you Donna on this one, they had plenty of time for this specif update to get things in order, but honestly this issue seems like "two databases" trying to write to the same thing, so ether they need to create their own or figure out how to release it to 'Core/activity' package updates for database insert...

It shouldn't be a hard issue to resolve on ethers persons end, and honestly having a fully flash removal from our websites is a amazing thing, (Cough looking at you SEAO for advance photo album still having flash!)

Flash is dead peeps, GET RID OF IT FROM YOUR PLUGINS, it is also a MAJOR Security risk for all websites these days

All and all, perhaps you should try contacting SEAO since its a major player in the SE game and ask them for free copies?

but this info should also be plublished on how to fix these problems instead of having to beg/bash our heads agaist the walls, Common issues like this should have a HOW TO RESOLVE Doc somewhere.. because we keep running into them :(

• 5860 posts
    February 17, 2018 8:23 AM EST
    Mafindi said:

calm down ,you should visit okinawa for a few days, have some fresh air, too many naughty boys around you. 

LOL. I'm ok. :) Just trying to find a solution. 

• 5860 posts
    February 17, 2018 8:24 AM EST
    SpiritWolfie said:

I agree with you Donna on this one, they had plenty of time for this specif update to get things in order, but honestly this issue seems like "two databases" trying to write to the same thing, so ether they need to create their own or figure out how to release it to 'Core/activity' package updates for database insert...

It shouldn't be a hard issue to resolve on ethers persons end, and honestly having a fully flash removal from our websites is a amazing thing, (Cough looking at you SEAO for advance photo album still having flash!)

Flash is dead peeps, GET RID OF IT FROM YOUR PLUGINS, it is also a MAJOR Security risk for all websites these days

All and all, perhaps you should try contacting SEAO since its a major player in the SE game and ask them for free copies?

but this info should also be plublished on how to fix these problems instead of having to beg/bash our heads agaist the walls, Common issues like this should have a HOW TO RESOLVE Doc somewhere.. because we keep running into them :(

I am not sure how to resolve it as we didn't code their plugin but I'm trying to get a look in a default install, just a sec.

• 5860 posts
    February 17, 2018 8:26 AM EST

Check the activity_actions database. Do you have a clone of the script before upgrade? 

• 5860 posts
    February 17, 2018 8:27 AM EST

For that "core" issue, I don't know which column it modified. You may be able to see it in their files.

• 5860 posts
    February 17, 2018 8:28 AM EST

Or in the error logs, those may have more details perhaps.