Deleting old plugins

• 10 posts
    February 22, 2018 1:19 PM EST

How would someone delete old plugins that cause website errors and prevent us from accessing admin page?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    February 22, 2018 2:50 PM EST

Most likely have to contact the 3PD or SE for support.

What version of SE are you running?  4.09 (not sure if it was .02/03 revision) introduced a functional Enable/Disable for Plugins, but I realize that doesn't help you get into ADMIN right now.

• 10 posts
    February 22, 2018 2:56 PM EST

Hi gs, Thank you for your reply. We are using 4.9.4p4 

Thanks

• 31 posts
    February 22, 2018 3:20 PM EST

This is how

https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/2121821-how-to-remove-delete-a-plugin-from-your-website?b_id=14386

Its a manual process and especially removing items from the MYSQL database.. you have to manually open the manifest and install files and see what and where things were installed. 

This process should be improved in SE for sure.

• 10 posts
    February 22, 2018 3:29 PM EST

Thank you DreamCoder,

If doing so, would I loose all members data/fields? like: name, location, bios, contacts... I dont went to ask my members to -re-eneter their infos.

any solutions around that?

Thanks

• gs
    • 857 posts
    February 22, 2018 3:30 PM EST

My bad - thanks for posting that @DreamCoder.  I should have but didn't due to bad experiences in the past missing some things during the process (because I couldn't determine everything the 3PD did, which is why SE has stated it's difficult for them to create the Delete function for 3PD products) and creating a mess and could then only blame myself  I'm far from the expert you are.  Glad you linked the info.

• 10 posts
    February 22, 2018 3:37 PM EST

Thank gs

I understand the complexity of the issue.

• 31 posts
    February 22, 2018 3:47 PM EST

Backup everything bleh bleh yadaydaadya safety speel...

But if you follow the SE guide you shouldn't lose users.. You are only removing the files of whatever bad plugin you have installed.. and you should be able to re get admin access once you remove the bad plugins.

• 6923 posts
    February 23, 2018 5:38 AM EST

This is something on the schedule to try to improve. Feedback from experts caused us to first just implement a "disable" that does fully disable. The only thing that cannot be disabled are edits to source which we recommend against doing. Some third party products edit source files or modify the database default tables. For that, you need the expert to tell you what to remove or to look in their install routine to see what was modified. It can be tricky if it's not something you are familiar in working with. Best thing to do is work on a development clone of your site. See if it blows up after removing the plugin and plugin's changes.

Thanks everyone who posted tips here.