Question about mobile view

• 15 posts
    February 25, 2018 10:39 AM EST

Hello i noticed when viewing my website on phone some things do not show ans some things do. For example in the browse section in mobile view some plugins show and some don't. Or if i create a html block on member home page or landing page it does not show on mobile view. Are there any settings or tricks to have all things things show in mobile view?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    February 25, 2018 3:44 PM EST

==> '...Are there any settings or tricks to have all things things show in mobile view? ...'

This is determined by your Theme, SE (or 3PD) Mobile Plugin, and the pages in Layout Editor.  For example, even with this forum (which I believe may be using SE's Insignia Theme and possibly their Mobile Plugin), desktop seems to show everything properly, but my tablet and phone do not (I have to switch between mobile and full site to see different widgets and page formatting).  I've tried 2 Mobile Plugins (not mobile apps - that's a completely different issue - Plugins to help build Android/iOS Apps) - and both are a nightmare.

I'm not saying the following is 'the' trick, but it definitely has worked extremely well for me: using SpectroMedia Theme by SES (w/o SE Mobile Plugin).  This theme is the most responsive theme I've used.  By 'most responsive' I mean that my pages look the same on tablets as they do on desktop (depending on display width, so the tablet in Landscape looks like my desktop with 3 columns displaying where configured, but in portrait it moves the right under the left column), and even on my 2012 Droid 4 if I select the Desktop mode, the pages look correct too (of course I have to zoom in as it's such a small display).  This has allowed me to not bother with editing desktop/mobile pages in Layout Editor (which is almost like managing 2 sites).  I've tried (and spent > 1000) many themes over the past 2.5 years, and although many are labelled as Responsive, they do so poorly.  Although Responsive is somewhat of a Yes/No, the issue is that when Yes, there's many differences in 'how responsive'.  So, just because 5 themes say they're Responsive, they may display your pages very differently between desktop/tablet/phone devices.  For example, most of the other Responsive Themes I've tested/purchased always move the right column under the left in any mobile device, regardless of the display pixel width.  With SpectroMedia my Tablets simply look like my desktop browser display when I adjust the width to mimic portrait/landscape on a Tablet.

Maybe someone else will chime in with another very responsive theme, but in the mean time, you may want to check out SpectroMedia (and it's one of the lower priced Themes, which surprises me because I believe they still include their HTML5 Video Plugin with it; for how well it functions and the incredible flexibility it provides with numerous settings, I'd easily pay 2-3x, whereas many other theme's aren't worth half their price).

This post was edited by gs at February 25, 2018 3:48 PM EST
    • 15 posts
    February 25, 2018 3:54 PM EST

Thanks gs I was actually debating on getting a theme and SpectroMedia was top list. My main issue with the mobile view is the menu some things are added and some not hopefully this template will take care of that issue.

• 15 posts
    February 25, 2018 5:18 PM EST

I tried to buy SpectroMedia  but there websites not available. ... Anyone know how to add to menus in mobile view? cant find files that hold them

• 378 posts
    February 25, 2018 5:29 PM EST

SES's website has been off and on for a few days now

• 6923 posts
    February 26, 2018 4:58 AM EST

I use the SocialEngine Atlas theme. It's fully responsive and is a certified theme. It's also made by SocialEngine. 

• gs
    • 857 posts
    February 26, 2018 7:20 AM EST
    @Donna
    Which SE Theme is used here?
    • 6923 posts
    February 26, 2018 7:34 AM EST

This is a custom theme. It is not for sale or resale.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    February 26, 2018 7:37 AM EST

@Donna

Is there a reason a Responsive SE Theme is not used?  It would sure help displaying this site.

• 6923 posts
    February 26, 2018 7:42 AM EST

We made a custom theme to show different ways in which themes can be made, different design. I use Atlas on my site. Works fine for me. Our Atlas demo is being worked on as the server decided to change permissions.

• 15 posts
    February 26, 2018 7:51 AM EST
    Donna said:

I use the SocialEngine Atlas theme. It's fully responsive and is a certified theme. It's also made by SocialEngine.

I use the crowd funding plugin. Will Atlas template make that plugin more viewable where everything not over lapping?

This post was edited by bobby at February 26, 2018 7:52 AM EST
    • 6923 posts
    February 26, 2018 7:53 AM EST

Plugins are a different matter. It depends on the plugin and whether it uses its own theme styling specific to the plugin. it's best to ask that expert since we don't know how they coded it. 

• gs
    • 857 posts
    February 26, 2018 8:12 AM EST
    Something I forgot to mention about Responsive themes is compatibility w/Plugins (@Donna just mentioned this). I can't speak for Atlas, but SpectroMedia is highly compatible - I haven't found anything that doesn't play nice with it (including Plugins from SES, SEAO, SocialEngineExperts, Radcodes, Hire-Experts, SocialEngineMarket, Webhive, and 2 others).
    • 6923 posts
    February 26, 2018 8:17 AM EST

@gs - yes that's how Atlas works - if the plugin uses the theme and not its own theme styling. Any plugin can be compatible with a theme but not if they use their own styling or theme. If they override a site's theme, then a plugin will use whatever theming included with the plugin. I've seen some in many different scripts do that as they want their plugins to look a certain way for clients.