Creating a new profile picture error

• 89 posts
    March 1, 2018 8:06 AM EST
    I've just installed a fresh copy of 4.10 then installed the patches although I haven't really tested anything else yet since 4.10 and the subsequent .1 update I cannot upload a profile picture, it states "file 'xxx.xxx' exceeds the defined form size',

I never had this issue in my previous socialengine site,

I can upload images of the same size onto the 'wall' with no issue...

I've searched countlessly and cannot find a solution, another member in the old forum had the same problem but had no reply....

Any ideas?
    • 6923 posts
    March 1, 2018 8:10 AM EST

Have you tried a smaller size photo?

What size is the profile photo you are trying to add?

• 6923 posts
    March 1, 2018 8:15 AM EST

I just tested on a local fresh and upgraded site. I used a somewhat large profile photo sized 1.3MB and had no issues. No third party plugins are on the testing sites. 

• 6923 posts
    March 1, 2018 8:26 AM EST

Would you please join our demo and test it there? I've tested some pretty big ones, including a massive lighthouse https://demo.socialengine.com/profile/freddie at 14.9 mb and another at 6.1 mb with dimensions of 3000 x 2400 and both of those didn't have any issues. 

• 6923 posts
    March 1, 2018 8:27 AM EST

If it works there, then it's a site or server issue. You would want to check your error logs and/or server error logs to see what might be causing the issue. It could even be folder permissions if they aren't set as our tutorial, https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/2777304-optimized-file-and-folder-permissions?b_id=14386 .

If the image doesn't work, it could be the image format. 

• 89 posts
    March 1, 2018 8:36 AM EST
    I'm guessing it's a folder permission issue now you've mentioned it and if it is damn I feel embarrassed! Hence the reason this issue is probably not brought up often!!
    • 6923 posts
    March 1, 2018 8:45 AM EST

Don't be embarrassed if it is. Folder perms can change. On hostgator, where I started hosting many years ago, they "accidentally" changed all of my folder permissions to 444 or some such thing. I had a mess to get them all back to proper perms. I don't host there any more but that was an example of how things can change without you even knowing. 

• 89 posts
    March 1, 2018 9:04 AM EST
    I've changed the folder perms it doesn't seem to make a difference, I'm trying with different images... I'll see if I can delve more deeper but I'm limited to TeamViewer on my mobile!
    • 6923 posts
    March 1, 2018 9:12 AM EST

Oh that doesn't help. Can you log in via desktop to test an image just to see if it's a device/image issue? Are the folder perms set recursively as the tutorial showed? Makes a big difference.

• 89 posts
    March 1, 2018 9:14 AM EST
    Yes, it appears all correct and yes I've uploaded via both no joy... I can't easily check the permissions have worked so I may have to go back and look later
    • 6923 posts
    March 1, 2018 9:18 AM EST

Ok let us know how it works out. Test at our demo too please, just as a way to rule out/in an issue with the image itself.

• 89 posts
    March 1, 2018 9:22 AM EST
    The test site works as expected
    • 6923 posts
    March 1, 2018 9:29 AM EST

Ok check your error logs when you can. In the log browser in admin and on the server in the server logs. It should give a clue as to what's going on. perhaps the server doesn't meet the new requirements.

• 6923 posts
    March 1, 2018 9:29 AM EST

Ok check your error logs when you can. In the log browser in admin and on the server in the server logs. It should give a clue as to what's going on. perhaps the server doesn't meet the new requirements.

• 89 posts
    March 1, 2018 9:40 AM EST
    I've cleared the logs, re-done the process then gone back and checked the error/warnings blog and they are both empty
    • 89 posts
    March 1, 2018 9:46 AM EST

The only thing I can find on the internet is this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6450549/zend-file-upload-file-exceeds-the-defined-ini-size

But that's a coding error so it seams, of it is then why is it affecting me but no one else will at least one other!

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at March 1, 2018 9:50 AM EST
    • 6923 posts
    March 1, 2018 9:49 AM EST

Double check requirements. Make sure it meets the new stuff. https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/1649350-socialengine-requirements?b_id=14386

I recall in another script that photo issues happened if exif_read_data had issues http://php.net/manual/en/function.exif-read-data.php. 

Perhaps try another photo from another source if you can once you can access a desktop.

• 89 posts
    March 1, 2018 9:57 AM EST
    Sorry you may have misunderstood me, I've tried uploading both from a phone and via a desktop using TeamViewer to remote control my desktop,

I'll check the requirements but shouldn't that have flagged on the installation checks?
    • 89 posts
    March 1, 2018 9:58 AM EST
    And differing images
    • 89 posts
    March 1, 2018 10:56 AM EST
    Whilst the installation process did not complain I saw the server was set to PHP 5.5.9 and so on switching it to 7.0.27 it now works fine! I've just got to work out how to get it to 7.1. now to comply with the recommendations.... Thanks for your support Donna, of you ever get this query again is likely due to php versioning!
    • 6923 posts
    March 1, 2018 2:24 PM EST

Coolio! Great that it's working.

• 6923 posts
    March 1, 2018 2:24 PM EST

Coolio! Great that it's working.