Community

Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

Concerns around SocialEngine AddOns (SEAO)

• 112 posts
    April 11, 2018 12:04 PM EDT

@Angar - your experience with SES is not what I have had. They have been great to work with from day one with all of my work and I have invested a significant amount of money with them.

• 28 posts
    April 11, 2018 11:35 PM EDT

@Angar - I also have to tell you that for a while now I've been working with SES and have even considered giving them other work from my company because they have a broad range of knowledge outside of SocialEngine / Zend Framework - I can tell you that if you tell them what the problem is, they will resolve it. Quite frankly I know I am difficult to deal with sometimes because of my high standards and believe me when I say SES has exceeded them. 

• April 12, 2018 1:41 AM EDT

Hi Angar,

We are sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience you had with our services. We apologize that our service did not satisfy your expectations. We set a high standard for ourselves and are truly sorry to hear that standard was not met in your interaction with our business. 

We have checked the status of your tickets at our end and found that 2 issues were reported on 10th April and a solution was provided the very next day. We would like to specify that working on a ticket and providing a solution usually consumes around 24-48 hours. Also, as we are working in a different timezone, the response time increases a bit. But, we always try to provide the solution within 24 hours of filing the support ticket.

At present, we do not have any open tickets at our end. For future tickets, we request to please provide us with some quality time to work on the issues. We want to establish a good business relationship with you and we also look forward to many years of working together. 

Thank You.

Regards, 

SocialEngineAddOns

This post was edited by SocialEngineAddOns at April 12, 2018 1:42 AM EDT
    • 28 posts
    April 12, 2018 1:53 AM EDT

@SocialEngineAddOns - are you ever going to speak to me privately about how you handled my situation or are you just going to avoid me?

• 61 posts
    April 12, 2018 4:07 AM EDT

@ SocialEngine Solutions, I see that the last tickets sent are resolved. I send tickets or I publish them on the page as it is a development site and nobody sees them. I send the problems in threes, not to overwhelm although the page has a hundred problems. and we take an average resolution of a problem per day or a problem every two days. As I have already stated to you, maybe in two or three years we will have the page updated.

@SocialEngineAddons has not sent any tickets for months. The reason was because I've been looking for someone to solve problems that I see you are not able to solve. I have sent two tickets because I see that the chosen ones to try to solve problems, in this case SocialEngine Solutions are as bad as you. And the problems could not wait anymore.
    By the way, of the two problems exposed, one is solved, the other you have solved in your own way, leaving the photo of the Wall to the size that has seemed right to you. That is, you have not solved the problem, you have disguised it.
    Now it does not appear a corner of the photo, the photo does not happen to be a miniature as I asked you. A corner of the photo does not appear because the whole photo now appears.
    If that's what you call resolving the problem ... it's not what I asked for.

• April 12, 2018 8:22 AM EDT

@Ryan, one of our team members will get in touch with you privately. 

@Angar, our Support Manager has sent an email to your email address to discuss the concerns. Looking forward to your revert so that we can discuss the issues you are having without any delay. 

• 61 posts
    April 12, 2018 3:03 PM EDT

@SocialEngineAdoons, I've already seen your manager's email and I'll answer you.
    Stop here and now, today I write here a ticket that will be in support of your website.
    Update the clone dev.channelswingers.com to the latest version of SE, as well as all your plugins to the latest version.
    If this work is done before 30 days I will enter here and I will apologize publicly.
    If on the other hand 60 days pass and the work is not done, or the web has problems, I will enter here and ask SE every day to remove you from the list of experts on its website.

• 61 posts
    April 12, 2018 3:06 PM EDT

Donna has all the passwords and accesses of both channelswingers.com, and the development clone dev.channelswingers.com.
    She will be the Judge.

This post was edited by ANGAR at April 12, 2018 3:07 PM EDT
  • April 12, 2018 11:46 PM EDT

I can personally speak from experience with Social Engine Add Ons. And this goes without saying for all developers. Know your product well enough to rely on it professionally. don't just blindly trust someone, promote the idea you can hire a team to make your dreams a reality. And no sleeping on the job either, people need you not to work for them, but to build a platform that focuses primarily on user engagement to be successful. Have it be secure, functional and promote growth. Social engine Add Ons do this best, but what they make in features, they lack in functional design. Especially core updates. this is partially Social Engine's fault, and partially the coding practices of Social Engine Add Ons in addition to server set up misconfigurations. A simple tool should be built to unify necessary server environment variables to stop this, and I know how to make it happen.

I think that what Social Engine should do is force compatibility checks for all recognized plugins no matter what they are with the current core and the core itself. If the version of what you have running isn't proven to be compatible, show it as a warning on all pages of the admin dashboard. So members can get the memo and get upgrading. That way this will entice people to actually check their websites. Make system send out an email every time a plugin update happens, and in that email, notify admins of plugins not proven to be compatible with the latest supported version of Social Engine.

You realize this would solve all the problems. Not hold developers liable for custom work. Provide people who want customizations with a clear course of action to do so away from core code of upgrading plugins. And also provide a means and a secure one, to make social engine sites better than ever practically automatically. Separate core code from all customizations, and load customizations, if any, first where available.

Yes I realize it's a long over hall process, but I think it has to be done. My site wouldn't upgrade because of a plugin I thought I removed from my site that Social Engine Add Ons made I had tested at one point. But the very fact that removing a plugin from SE is such a messy undocumented business in the first place, just proves the core isn't strong enough to handle upgrades securely to core files. this has to be addressed. And it has to be documented that in any detected se directories, unknown files or custom files be moved to ones clearly stated as such, and the same should go for database table management. Get the organization right, and we will not have any problems.

While I sympathize with those of you who are facing problems with poorly designed time management regarding third party products, the reason why I stay away from as many third party products as I can, is due to my trust not being honored by expert developers modifying core SE code itself. I'd purchase more, if SE clearly separated the custom work from core files as well as core changes made to the database. The only script that I ever came across which even detected this at all, is PHPFox. I also think to a certain extent IPBoard had this built in but it wasn't as functional. VBulletin tried to implement it but their stuff is so bloated and out of date, you'd need a 2010 computer system just to keep it up at all.

You can't expect new code to work with old methods of constructing it. This is the bottom line of what I believe is the root cause of everyone's issues with third party stuff in general. It's also why I took such a long break from social engine, due to personal problems with my own site, as well as trying to explore other avenues. I don't know if I'm ready to jump back into social engine full time yet, as I believe time away does broaden the mind when you see what others are up to as a whole. I still believe to some extent, SE can improve some basic things to become market leading social networking software. And although it is the most stable platform of its kind out there, Socibd, Spruz, Grou.ps Ning 2.0 and the old PHPFox websites generally speaking along with Word Press and IPBoard v3 as well as v4 are gaining popularity in general because the way the content management system was built, providing the subsequent means to be able to handle modern methods of coding standards for what it offers. I understand this has nothing to do with social engine. so the take away here, is that I care about SE very much. To learn from what others are doing, one thing has evidently become clear to me over the past months. New features are wonderful, but existing databases suffer when bugs are found based on user engagement most importantly and securely of all. Everything else is based on a priority sequence of interest and support in that order.

The question remains, what will we do with the information we have learned? That's up to us as site creators. We can't blame developers for their lack of implementation. but what we can do is ask to make it implemented as aware web masters in 2018. As such, I wish to offer the following advice to anyone facing challenges with Social engine Add Ons.

1. You're all right. Whether you think you as the customer are right, or you the developer are right, or you the support technician is right, or you the member is right, nobody is wrong. Lets try to make one thing clear here. You can only hold someone responsible for what they deliver, not what they promise to deliver.

2. Keep an open mind. ask another developer to improve upon what you need if one is unable to do so within a time frame you specify. There's no reason why someone has to know the answers to everything. Sure, developers are gods in a way, yes. for without them we wouldn't have social engine to come to. but consider this. From an engineering stand point, we're all human. It's not about making mistakes, or keeping commitments. It's about recognizing you have a responsibility to ensure members of your community are able to use it. Period. end of story. If your vision for the site isn't achieving it's potential, there's only two causes. the community cannot engage. Or the community is not compliant with your terms of service. The engagement part is up to the development of the site. Community members know what they want when presented with a choice. You as the admin provides that choice to members. In exchange, people build relationships based on not only what you offer, but what is offered because you provide the offer. If a member provides a means for another member to respond, that relies on you the developer to implement. but if a member wants to simply communicate with someone, they'll use off site means to do it. and possibly use on site means where available to attempt doing so to as many people as possible. So here in lies the difference. Develop a product well, you have no issues. Develop a product together, and develop it well, you have no issues. Develop a product you support well, but that you do not provide team effort on, and you will have problems. Most definitely with functionality. The core reason why it's there in the first place.

the moral of the story being. When you pay for custom work, and you're told plan a but receive something you didn't intend. Look in the mirror and ask, are you contributing to what you wish to intend besides asking for it? how are you helping to make it happen besides pushing someone else, who may be trying their best, but is facing challenges, issues and prior commitments taking priority in their lives. I'm not saying be patient, but I am saying be reasonable. Ignorance is never bliss, and so if people are ignoring what you have to say, use what you intend to build upon what already works for you now, to complete your dream journey. In doing so, thank the developer for what if any service they provided, ask for a refund for what wasn't delivered and use that money to pay another developer to complete what you started already. If that can't be done, then you know the core product itself you are using, isn't sustaining your communities requirements. To make it sustain such requirements, you need to focus on what they are, and how they ought to be built. this must be a team effort. So make every second count if you are expecting results to happen. For happen they will, if you build it, they will come. Before you can invite them to do so, give them a reason to stay. To remain. You have to give Social engine Add Ons a reason to understand you. show them that besides asking for what you want, offer to add in a developer who can work with them if need be, to pool resources together. be clear on what you intend so you can become it, it is as simple as that. Nobody has to do this alone, and this is where the true power of community comes into play. You as the creator are the game master. You as the developer, are the team member. Working together, all things will resolve themselves soon enough. I believe all things are possible, if given a chance to develop the means to create the cause built from the intention of the desired action wished upon by you, the one with the vision.

I never intended to make a long post about this for example. but I did intend to explain how I felt about the situation. I hope I said it in a way that you can understand. allow your feelings to manifest the creation you wish for. It's only because of that which you are, which guides you onward to create together with others who become a part of a collective mind set. Which is what the nature of community networking is about. Goals, ideas, their relative ease of use and the people who continuously play with the idea and add to it in their own way. This, is the heart of the community. The actual desire of the spirit of what makes things thrive and happen. we thrive because we are what we make, as what makes us, shapes us in to being. So try to remember that the next time you feel like wanting action, be sure of your intention towards the goal you desire. Distractions will try to only set you back from making the difference you truly want, and so it is good to know that those who would design a business based on distractions, instead of acts of intention, are being called out. If this is in deed the case of what's going on here. If someone is guilty of this, just know they are also finding their way and sometimes, the most rigid of structures has to understand the scope and the meaning of what's being changed around them, to be able to interface with it as intention requires.

Your clear cut responses as a community to the behavior of Social engine Add Ons shows that you are unhappy with their understanding of your intentions. And yet, your intentions have been able to create this unhappiness as a community. Now it is time to put those intentions of unhappiness to rest, so that what you really want can happen. Developers and creators alike, making a team effort to fix what is broken, and not break what is fixed and actively contributed towards as a result. Unintentional bugs are just that, nothing to worry about and get upset over. How you know intention leads to action in such matters as website development, is through the heart of communication. Ignorance is as ignorance does, and how it works is that it speaks towards the intention of delaying action, which means take the words of what someone says to you, as an idea. Until the idea presents itself to you in a real enlightening way. You have to provide the means to do so, through the intention to complete it. If you don't know how, others do and that is what we are all here for.

I hope you are blessed by god for all you wish to make possible. I am sorry you are faced with the challenges, but just know they are not how your story ends. thank you for bringing this up and therefore gather the attention of everyone. Now we can become the solution together.

Love is the answer!

• April 13, 2018 12:43 AM EDT
    ANGAR said:

@ SocialEngine Solutions, I see that the last tickets sent are resolved. I send tickets or I publish them on the page as it is a development site and nobody sees them. I send the problems in threes, not to overwhelm although the page has a hundred problems. and we take an average resolution of a problem per day or a problem every two days. As I have already stated to you, maybe in two or three years we will have the page updated.

Hello Angar, we apologize for the delay. We will try to be more responsive and will resolve all conflicts and issues within 24 hours on your website. If you have any other issues or concerns, please let our support team know and we will do our best to fix everything on your website.

The delay in reply sometimes seems more, because the issues came to us in our late nights and we resolve them the next morning when our team is back to work from 9:30 AM IST (+5:30 GMT).

Regards

Team SocialEngineSolutions

• April 13, 2018 12:43 AM EDT
    SocialEngineSolutions said:
    ANGAR said:

Hello Angar, we apologize for the delay. We will try to be more responsive and will resolve all conflicts and issues within 24 hours on your website. If you have any other issues or concerns, please let our support team know and we will do our best to fix everything on your website.

The delay in reply sometimes seems more, because the issues came to us in our late nights and we resolve them the next morning when our team is back to work from 9:30 AM IST (+5:30 GMT).

Regards

• 61 posts
    April 13, 2018 4:20 AM EDT

@Elshara Silverheart, I do not know if it was for the Google translator, I do not speak English and I have to translate everything but I have not understood anything.

• 1591 posts
    April 13, 2018 4:56 AM EDT

@Elshara, We test stuff in the certified marketplace. Use those and don't buy other stuff if you are concerned with quality/source edits/etc. 

@Angar, What do you mean it's up to me? We never talked about that and I cannot make decisions for your site. I can come look in my time off work as I can't do that in an official capacity. You can let me know when to do that. 

• 28 posts
    April 13, 2018 9:48 AM EDT
    @socialengineaddons. Not a single message. I’m making it known that you have no intentions of resolving this with me. I’m going to make it known on Facebook and other social media to avoid your company. You clearly are ripping people off and I am glad I made this post to bring to light how bad your company is. You couldn’t even send me the private message you said you would. You even have my skype.
  • April 13, 2018 10:40 AM EDT
    FM Ryan said:
    @socialengineaddons. Not a single message. I’m making it known that you have no intentions of resolving this with me. I’m going to make it known on Facebook and other social media to avoid your company. You clearly are ripping people off and I am glad I made this post to bring to light how bad your company is. You couldn’t even send me the private message you said you would. You even have my skype.

Ryan, we have a different team who is handling the Prime Messenger product, we request you to please wait for some more time, they will get back to you soon. 

• April 13, 2018 10:42 AM EDT

@Angar We can have further communication using the email thread where you have been assigned a dedicated support manager to communicate with. We will try our level best to do the required task well before the specified time. 

@Elshara Thanks for providing your insights into this discussion. We should say you have a great sense of introspection. We will definitely discuss your suggestions internally with our team.

• 61 posts
    April 13, 2018 1:53 PM EDT

@Donna, I think again the Google translator changes the meaning of the words. I wanted to say that in the discussion of this post you are an impartial person and according to my concept a good person, honest and fair.
    And in this conflict between SocialEngineAddons and me, you think whether or not I have reasons to complain.
    Since there are also other people with more problems with SocialEngineAddons that end up affecting SE.

• 1591 posts
    April 14, 2018 5:04 AM EDT
    ANGAR said:

@Donna, I think again the Google translator changes the meaning of the words. I wanted to say that in the discussion of this post you are an impartial person and according to my concept a good person, honest and fair.
    And in this conflict between SocialEngineAddons and me, you think whether or not I have reasons to complain.
    Since there are also other people with more problems with SocialEngineAddons that end up affecting SE.

Ok you can let me know, or SEAO and SES can let me know, when it's good to check the development site. However, it will be after work hours.

• April 14, 2018 5:18 AM EDT
    Donna said:
    ANGAR said:

Ok you can let me know, or SEAO and SES can let me know, when it's good to check the development site. However, it will be after work hours.

Hello Donna,

We have fixed all our issues on the dev site on which we worked reported by the client. You can proceed with checking the site.

Regards

• 61 posts
    April 14, 2018 5:56 AM EDT

@Donna, you have to take it with patience, I'll let you know, because I'm sure this will take months ...

• 1591 posts
    April 14, 2018 7:57 AM EDT
    ANGAR said:

@Donna, you have to take it with patience, I'll let you know, because I'm sure this will take months ...

Ok let me know. Just pm me when you want me to look and I'll look after work. 

@SES, great that you got the issues resolved. 

If/when I check, note that I only check functionality per whatever the plugin says it does. Customizations should not be part of "fixes" unless paid for and agreed upon in advance. I won't check custom work.

• April 15, 2018 9:17 AM EDT
    Donna said:
    ANGAR said:

@Donna
    We have performed the required upgrade task on the development website [SocialEngine PHP Upgrade + SocialEngineAddOns Plugin Upgrade]. 
    You may check the same on the website

@Angar, we have provided a reply to the ticket regarding the upgrade task that has been performed on your development website. Please check at your end once. 

• 1591 posts
    April 15, 2018 3:39 PM EDT

Looks like the theme needs to be updated as the New Members block is messed up. It has the words jumbled up together and the images are not showing. As it's a client site, I won't post a screenshot here. Also in classified browse and a few other places there are minor css issues. As right click appears to be disabled for some reason, I cannot check in inspect element.

There are errors on the site with an "advanced articles" and many plugins that have not been upgraded, including some SEAO and SES plugins, as well as some SE default plugins, that show to be 4.9.4. Not sure if those have updates but you should check. 

The site is not upgraded to current stable 4.10.3p1 and needs to be upgraded to that version, including the default photos plugin that should be 4.10.3p1. The site is on 4.10.3 but not the latest p1 version.

Site shows a missing column 'params' for comments. This isn't seen on any other sites and could be an issue with the upgrade as it has plugins that modified the default database and the experts of those plugins had special upgrade steps. Not sure if SEAO followed their steps when upgrading as I only did a basic check. 

@Angar - you need to check the site and see what you find. This is the development site I checked.

@SocialEngineAddOns - thank you for updating this thread and for working on the client's sites. I'm sure this will get resolved.

This post was edited by Donna at April 15, 2018 5:19 PM EDT
  • April 16, 2018 12:36 AM EDT
    Donna said:

Looks like the theme needs to be updated as the New Members block is messed up. It has the words jumbled up together and the images are not showing. As it's a client site, I won't post a screenshot here. Also in classified browse and a few other places there are minor css issues. As right click appears to be disabled for some reason, I cannot check in inspect element.

There are errors on the site with an "advanced articles" and many plugins that have not been upgraded, including some SEAO and SES plugins, as well as some SE default plugins, that show to be 4.9.4. Not sure if those have updates but you should check. 

The site is not upgraded to current stable 4.10.3p1 and needs to be upgraded to that version, including the default photos plugin that should be 4.10.3p1. The site is on 4.10.3 but not the latest p1 version.

Site shows a missing column 'params' for comments. This isn't seen on any other sites and could be an issue with the upgrade as it has plugins that modified the default database and the experts of those plugins had special upgrade steps. Not sure if SEAO followed their steps when upgrading as I only did a basic check. 

@Angar - you need to check the site and see what you find. This is the development site I checked.

@SocialEngineAddOns - thank you for updating this thread and for working on the client's sites. I'm sure this will get resolved.

@Donna Thanks for listing down the above points. 

We are working on each of these and will provide an update soon here for the same. 

• April 16, 2018 9:06 AM EDT

@Donna, Please find below an update for the above-reported issues:

--> "It has the words jumbled up together and the images are not showing. As it's a client site, I won't post a screenshot here....." This is because the images don't exist. This is working fine on the main website. It seems some issue occurred while setting up the development website, we would suggest contacting hosting provider for the image disappearance issue once. 

--> "Also in classified browse and a few other places there are minor css issues." This issue has been resolved. We have done changes in SocialEngine Core files as this issue was not due to the theme.
    File Path: /public_html/application/modules/Classified/widgets/browse-search/index.tpl [Donna, please check this once in SE functionality thoroughly]

--> "many plugins that have not been upgraded, including some SEAO and SES plugins, as well as some SE default plugins, that show to be 4.9.4" We have upgraded SocialEngine PHP and it's Core plugin to their latest versions. SEAO plugins are of the latest version on the website. 

--> "Site shows a missing column 'params' for comments. " We have resolved this issue.

Thank You.