Video thumbnails blank

• July 13, 2017 5:06 PM EDT

Hi i have asked about this problem on another part of se,, and couldnt get a resolution.
    Hopefully this new platform here can resolve my issue.

I have recently got a 3rd party se expert to do me a fresh install and carry over most of my old database as i had lots of errors.

Everything is perfect now except this ongoing problem with video thumbnails not showing still, even after a fresh install.

Here was my last response from the 3rd party expert...
    Its cost me $120 dollars to get this far and being honest i cant afford to pay another $50 just yet to se for support to fix this

Please can anyone shed light?

Here is my problem on my websitewww.clubbinheaven247.com/videos

Here is my last communication error from se expert

Hello Chris,

We've investigated the issue with video thumbnails and found out the following: such issue is not experienced on our test websites with 4.9.2, that's why we tried to look for the error on your website.
    The error is because "GetImageSize" function is not working in the code. Here is an example of such code with an error:
    <pre style="margin-top: 14pt; margin-bottom: 14pt;">// Now try to create thumbnail if( $values['type'] !== 'upload' ) { $thumbnail = $values['thumbnail']; $ext = ltrim(strrchr($thumbnail, '.'), '.'); $thumbnail_parsed = @parse_url($thumbnail); if( @GetImageSize($thumbnail) ) { $valid_thumb = true; } else { $valid_thumb = false; } if( $valid_thumb && $thumbnail && $ext && $thumbnail_parsed && in_array($ext, array('jpg', 'jpeg', 'gif', 'png')) ) { $tmpFile = APPLICATION_PATH . '/temporary/link_' . md5($thumbnail) . '.' . $ext; $thumbFile = APPLICATION_PATH . '/temporary/link_thumb_' . md5($thumbnail) . '.' . $ext;</pre> This code is located in the file "/home/clubbinheaven247/public_html/application/modules/Video/controllers/IndexController.php".
    Most probably the error occurs because GetImageSize function tries to get a link to the image, which is situated on a third-party resource, and this may be forbidden by privacy settings of your hosting provider.
    That's what we were able to find out, though it's clear that the error is not because of the fresh install.
    Please contact your hosting provider and let us know the result.
    My hosting provider has no idea what may needs changing.

Please can anyone help with this
    I will do a happy dance if you can 

Cheers guys
    Chris
    • 348 posts
    July 14, 2017 2:34 AM EDT

Hi Chris, 

Welcome to the SocialEngine Community! We would like to help you out here with this issue, to proceed we need some details as requested below. You may either send us an email here: support01@socialengineaddons.com or do a PM for the details.

Site Admin Details:
    Email:
    Password:

FTP Details: (for applying the required changes in the files on your server)
    Host:
    Username:
    Password:

[Note: The details will be treated as highly confidential.]

Enjoy the new Community and the new SE mascot 'Spencer' smile

• July 14, 2017 4:40 AM EDT
    SocialEngineAddOns said:

Hi Chris, 

Welcome to the SocialEngine Community! We would like to help you out here with this issue, to proceed we need some details as requested below. You may either send us an email here: support01@socialengineaddons.com or do a PM for the details.

Site Admin Details:
    Email:
    Password:

FTP Details: (for applying the required changes in the files on your server)
    Host:
    Username:
    Password:

[Note: The details will be treated as highly confidential.]

Enjoy the new Community and the new SE mascot 'Spencer' smile

Thank you so much for looking into this for me

• 629 posts
    July 14, 2017 7:20 PM EDT
    ClubbinHeaven247 said:

Hi i have asked about this problem on another part of se,, and couldnt get a resolution.

I have recently got a 3rd party se expert to do me a fresh install and carry over most of my old database as i had lots of errors.

Everything is perfect now except this ongoing problem with video thumbnails not showing still, even after a fresh install.

Its cost me $120 dollars to get this far and being honest i cant afford to pay another $50 just yet to se for support to fix this

Hello Chris,

We've investigated the issue with video thumbnails and found out the following: such issue is not experienced on our test websites with 4.9.2, that's why we tried to look for the error on your website.
    The error is because "GetImageSize" function is not working in the code. Here is an example of such code with an error:
    <pre style="margin-top: 14pt; margin-bottom: 14pt;">// Now try to create thumbnail if( $values['type'] !== 'upload' ) { $thumbnail = $values['thumbnail']; $ext = ltrim(strrchr($thumbnail, '.'), '.'); $thumbnail_parsed = @parse_url($thumbnail); if( @GetImageSize($thumbnail) ) { $valid_thumb = true; } else { $valid_thumb = false; } if( $valid_thumb && $thumbnail && $ext && $thumbnail_parsed && in_array($ext, array('jpg', 'jpeg', 'gif', 'png')) ) { $tmpFile = APPLICATION_PATH . '/temporary/link_' . md5($thumbnail) . '.' . $ext; $thumbFile = APPLICATION_PATH . '/temporary/link_thumb_' . md5($thumbnail) . '.' . $ext;</pre> This code is located in the file "/home/clubbinheaven247/public_html/application/modules/Video/controllers/IndexController.php".
    Most probably the error occurs because GetImageSize function tries to get a link to the image, which is situated on a third-party resource, and this may be forbidden by privacy settings of your hosting provider.
    That's what we were able to find out, though it's clear that the error is not because of the fresh install.

Cheers guys
    Chris

ClubbinHeaven247, welcome to the community!

Sorry you are having trouble getting your issue resolved. Here are some things you may try.

This issue of video thumb nails not showing up can be solved by doing one of the following.

1. Clear site cache.

2. Be sure the video has an auto-generated thumbnail associated with it.

If this doesn't work, then try to edit the file permissions to a higher number in the public folder of social engine installation to see if the files are there, but can't be accessed directly. Usually 644 or 755 works well for hosts using mod exec.

Update your .htaccess file with a fresh upgrade package file from official social engine clients. Yes you can refresh existing packages. Sometimes this helps.

If you are sure the file exists but the code cannot retrieve the file, then allowing access to server directory browsing may be useful. But only do this as a last resort.

If you are using Nginx, .htaccess files do nothing. In which case you may need to update your server path directories in your social engine configuration.

• July 15, 2017 4:47 PM EDT
    Elshara Silverheart said:
    ClubbinHeaven247 said:

Hello Chris,

Cheers guys
    Chris

Sorry you are having trouble getting your issue resolved. Here are some things you may try.

This issue of video thumb nails not showing up can be solved by doing one of the following.

1. Clear site cache.

If this doesn't work, then try to edit the file permissions to a higher number in the public folder of social engine installation to see if the files are there, but can't be accessed directly. Usually 644 or 755 works well for hosts using mod exec.

Update your .htaccess file with a fresh upgrade package file from official social engine clients. Yes you can refresh existing packages. Sometimes this helps.

If you are sure the file exists but the code cannot retrieve the file, then allowing access to server directory browsing may be useful. But only do this as a last resort.

If you are using Nginx, .htaccess files do nothing. In which case you may need to update your server path directories in your social engine configuration.

Hi Elshara,

Thanks for your response, i did try clearing the cache and i dont know if it was that or if its something else previous but i cannot even add a video now.
    When i click save my screen just stays blank now.
    It goes no further and no video gets created.

So frustrating,,, i have cache on apcu and and apcu installed on dedicated server.

I have tried reverting back to file based but i still have the same issue.

Am ready to throw my computer out of the window

If anyone could possibly shed some light i would appreciate it so much.

Thanks in advance

Chris

This post was edited by ClubbinHeaven247 at July 15, 2017 4:48 PM EDT
    • 629 posts
    July 16, 2017 4:35 PM EDT
    ClubbinHeaven247 said:
    ClubbinHeaven247 said:

Hello Chris,

Cheers guys
    Chris

1. Clear site cache.

Hi Elshara,

Thanks for your response, i did try clearing the cache and i dont know if it was that or if its something else previous but i cannot even add a video now.
    When i click save my screen just stays blank now.
    It goes no further and no video gets created.

So frustrating,,, i have cache on apcu and and apcu installed on dedicated server.

I have tried reverting back to file based but i still have the same issue.

Am ready to throw my computer out of the window

If anyone could possibly shed some light i would appreciate it so much.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hey, Chris. Just remain calm, there's something else I've thought about recently which may be an issue.

Newer versions of social engine, 4.9X have added a new video embed service called Iframely. This embed service is supposed to automatically add videos via url. It's possible this service is not able to actually create the video, therefore it times out. Perhaps this is due to the API key not reading properly. I'm not sure if this is the case but it wouldn't surprise me if it is.

I'm trying to narrow down the issue here. I'm sorry you are feeling frustrated. I know it's difficult. I'm currently frustrated with profiles not saving on my site using the layout editor, yet every other page does just fine. I've confirmed this on a most recent install and am not sure if it's a setting on my end causing the issue or not. I'm in the middle of a layout revamp on my network and it's preventing me from being successful there.

I'm also in the middle of a house move. So yeah I know the feeling all too well, especially where things feel like they're not able to work right. I'm not sure if you need to enter an API key manually or not. You shouldn't have to, but it may be an option to look into under video settings just in case.

If that's not helping, then it's possible your server environment or configuration is to blame. I've had that happen on dedicated and vps servers personally. The full disclosure of what settings need to be enabled for social engine and all of its data to function as expected is not fully disclosed. So I do blame documentation for the issue there.

Having said this, thumbnails not posting does appear to be a youtube API issue. I've had that happen when they upgraded their API, so maybe you can try creating a Google API key to see if this helps fix the problem.

Sorry I didn't come on here earlier to post this. I just got back from a mini camping trip. I had lots of fun, was involved in a drum circle as well which was nice.

• July 17, 2017 2:37 PM EDT

Hi Ritu solved it guys....

It was to do with "allow_url_fopen" is set to "Off' on the server..

I thought the se expert i paid to do my fresh install would have known this

Thank you all above who have given feedback and time to reply....i cannot thank you all enough.

Now i can move forward finally.

Thanks again

• 629 posts
    July 17, 2017 3:19 PM EDT
    ClubbinHeaven247 said:

Thank you all above who have given feedback and time to reply....i cannot thank you all enough.

Thanks again

Not sure who that is, but I'm glad he helped! Sorry my suggestions didn't fix the problem, but I appreciate your time in narrowing down the issue to it finally being solved. Patience is a virtue and this speaks as especially true for websites.

• July 17, 2017 3:38 PM EDT
    ClubbinHeaven247 said:

Thanks again

Not sure who that is, but I'm glad he helped! Sorry my suggestions didn't fix the problem, but I appreciate your time in narrowing down the issue to it finally being solved. Patience is a virtue and this speaks as especially true for websites.

Ritu is SocialEngineAddOns

Theres nothing to be sorry for Elshara, i really do appreciate you all for taking time out to help.

• 348 posts
    July 17, 2017 11:44 PM EDT

ClubbinHeaven247 said:

Thanks again

You're welcome Chris! We are glad that we were able to provide a solution for your issue. We are here to help out SocialEngine Community users and feel extremely happy to lend our helping hand to the one's in need. 
    Enjoy the community!

This post was edited by SocialEngineAddOns at July 17, 2017 11:46 PM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    July 18, 2017 6:37 AM EDT
    ClubbinHeaven247 said:

Thanks again

Great to hear that it is resolved and even better that you posted what the issue was. This will help others that might face the same issue. Thank you!