Profile ID URL change

• 378 posts
    March 8, 2018 3:36 PM EST

Currently when viewing a member of our site in the browser we see: 

https://yoursite.com/profile/7

When viewing the admin profile I see:

https://yoursite/profile/Username

How do I make all profiles show as /profile/username?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    March 8, 2018 4:52 PM EST

Not an answer, but my results (SE 4.09.04p4):

ADMIN = .../profile/admin

User = .../profile/#  <-7, 12, etc.

The above is the same whether I'm logged in as ADMIN or as the User.

Does this have anything to do with the 'Enable Profile Address' setting in ADMINcp->Member Signup Process->Create Account?  My guess is that maybe this was Enabled initially (when I entered the ADMIN's URL) but then later Disabled?

https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1642532-admin-panel---settings->%3B-signup-process

I just changed mine from No to Yes, and for existing Users the URL field did not display on the Profile Settings Menu below Email Address.  I realize this doesn't help, but just more information that may lead to the answer.  Also, I thought one of my SEAO Plugins offers allowing a custom URL, but that might only be for the GPB Pugins, not for Members/Users.

I wish there was a way to provide a place-holder/variable, so I could link to the Profile Page generically (.../profile/%user).  This way I could create a separate Menu Item wherever I want it.

This post was edited by gs at March 8, 2018 4:54 PM EST
    • 378 posts
    March 8, 2018 8:24 PM EST

https://www.socialengine.com/marketplace/app/custom-short-member-profile-urls-plugin - this will fix it up I would think but it is not updated for 4.10.1 as of yet (or at least on install it doesn't seem to be)

• gs
    • 857 posts
    March 8, 2018 8:31 PM EST

smh... Thanks for posting that.  Both SES and SEAO recently released similar Plugins.  I knew I read about this functionality but for the life of me couldn't find it on my site (because, well duh, I don't have the Plugin for Member URLs, but only those for other content types).

• gs
    • 857 posts
    March 8, 2018 8:40 PM EST

Just installed SES' free Plugin (on my 4.09.04p4 site).  Very easy and flexible to configure, including ML settings which could be a monitization feature.

Had to disable it (for now) because my ADMIN username obviously conflicted with SE's URL scheme when using the short setting (and I don't have time now to test other URL conflicts).  I also don't see a banned list which SEAO offers, but theirs has a cost.

But since you're looking to use a custom name (...profile/username or whatever/username) this should work for you (once compatible with 4.10.*).  Whats neat is the 'whatever' may be configured by ML (which I don't think SEAO's does), so you could have ...freeprofile/username, ...advancedprofile/username, ...premium/username, etc.

This post was edited by gs at March 9, 2018 1:39 AM EST
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    March 9, 2018 2:04 AM EST

@Donna

Might need your help on this one.  It seems that some profiles use names, others use numbers.  

1.  Why is this?  Possibly due to Enable Profile Address (i.e. Enabled for some signups, Disabled for others?)

2.  For the numerical addresses, is the number their username?

3.  How do we change usernames (I think there was a Topic and/or FR for this but at 0230 I gave up with search and am not going to scroll all pages

thanks

This post was edited by gs at March 9, 2018 2:22 AM EST
  • March 9, 2018 2:58 AM EST
    ITLJames said:

Currently when viewing a member of our site in the browser we see: 

https://yoursite.com/profile/7

When viewing the admin profile I see:

https://yoursite/profile/Username

How do I make all profiles show as /profile/username?

Hello James, You have not enabled the Username from the admin panel of your website. Once you enable that new users will show their username in the URLs. You can also edit Members from admin panel to enter username manually.

Answering few queries by GS below:

Had to disable it (for now) because my ADMIN username obviously conflicted with SE's URL scheme when using the short setting (and I don't have time now to test other URL conflicts).  I also don't see a banned list which SEAO offers, but theirs has a cost.

==> You can  do below 2 things:

a. Go to the Manage Members in admin panel and change the username of the Admin user.

b. You can go to the plugin's Member Level setting and disable shortening of URL for Super Admin.

Regarding the Banned feature: It is not required in our plugin as it is directly handled by the plugin intelligently, so you do not have to worry about the same manually.

But since you're looking to use a custom name (...profile/username or whatever/username) this should work for you (once compatible with 4.10.*).  Whats neat is the 'whatever' may be configured by ML (which I don't think SEAO's does), so you could have ...freeprofile/username, ...advancedprofile/username, ...premium/username, etc.

==> To use this plugin, please make sure you enable Usernames on your website, because otherwise the Profile IDs will come in urls.

1.  Why is this?  Possibly due to Enable Profile Address (i.e. Enabled for some signups, Disabled for others?)

==> You can either enable username or disable completely.

2.  For the numerical addresses, is the number their username?

==>The number if the ID of the user which you see in the Manage Members in admin panel. if you have username and then also you try to open the profile by its id, it will work.

3.  How do we change usernames (I think there was a Topic and/or FR for this but at 0230 I gave up with search and am not going to scroll all pages

==> As explained above, You can go to the Admin panel >> Manage Members >> Edit user and enter the username.

Our plugins are compatible with the latest version of SE, and we will submit their certified codes in marketplace within this week.

Regards

Team SocialEngineSolutions

This post was edited by SocialNetworking Solutions at March 9, 2018 3:00 AM EST
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    March 9, 2018 3:12 AM EST
    Once again, thank you so much SES Team for the excellent, fast, and thorough help. Much appreciated
  • March 9, 2018 3:22 AM EST

Thank you GS

• 6923 posts
    March 9, 2018 6:56 AM EST

This site uses the default feature to enable profile address. Once done, the address is as mine, http://community.socialengine.com/profile/ChiefEvangelist . 

• 378 posts
    March 9, 2018 10:02 AM EST

@SocialEngineSolutions - I did have it enabled but there is a minor conflict with it and the Vertical theme. On the landing page when the plugin is enabled the top banner and other landing page areas becomes boxed and won't maintain full screen.

This post was edited by ITLJames at March 9, 2018 10:03 AM EST
  • March 9, 2018 11:35 AM EST
    ITLJames said:

@SocialEngineSolutions - I did have it enabled but there is a minor conflict with it and the Vertical theme. On the landing page when the plugin is enabled the top banner and other landing page areas becomes boxed and won't maintain full screen.

Hello James, We have found the issue on your demo, but since its too late here, we will resolve the issue Tomorrow on your website and update you.

Regards

• 378 posts
    March 9, 2018 12:38 PM EST

No worries - we are still in development so Monday works too

• March 10, 2018 3:55 AM EST
    ITLJames said:

Hello James,

We have fixed this issue. Please check at your end too.
    In case you face any issue, please update our team also, so that we can fix the issue in priority.

Regards

• 378 posts
    March 12, 2018 1:26 PM EDT

Awesome - thanks!