Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

Facebook Clone Plugins

• 29 posts
    March 10, 2018 8:30 PM EST

I'd like to use either the SES or SEAO Facebook clone themes (both are very nice).

On both their demo sites, when you resize your browser screen size, the left and right columns disappear when the screen gets to around 600px wide.

I'm talking about the smaller columns, which are usually about 300px wide. The main content column, the large one, shows fine.

So a mobile device that's 500px wide, which isn't that small, would not be able to view widgets in those smaller columns.

Any thoughts? undecidedundecided

• gs
    • 857 posts
    March 10, 2018 10:31 PM EST

I can't speak to the two Facebook Themes, but here's what I experience on my 2012 Droid4 with 540x960 px using SpectroMedia.

Landscape = left column on left side (with right column below it) and middle column to the right

Portrait = one column: left, then below that right, then center column

On some themes I've seen settings for what to do with L/R columns on smaller displays.  Maybe SES/SEAO have such a setting?  Did you scroll down to see if L/R were below middle columm?  Maybe the Themes don't support all columns with displays this small/old?  Maybe it's a Mobi Plugin config?  Maybe I like answering a question with a lot more questions? :)

Hopefully SES/SEAO can provide answers when you contact them if no one else hops in to answer.  IMHO, 500px is quite small considering how quickly phone displays have changed.

This post was edited by gs at March 10, 2018 10:42 PM EST
    • 29 posts
    March 11, 2018 9:24 AM EDT

Yes, 500px is actually a bit small. But I think I underestimated the screen size, it's larger than that.

I've used themes from both these guys and all columns are at least visible on all their regular themes. Spectromedia is probably the best theme I've seen, and it works well on mobile (your portrait and landscape examples work nicely for mobile).

Even on the SES Spectromedia demo site, all columns display at any screen size. On their Facebook theme demo, the same pages (blogs, for example) do not show the small columns, odd. Maybe there's a setting somewhere, but I don't see it.

Both SEAO and SES say these themes are 100% responsive for all screen sizes tongue-out.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    March 11, 2018 3:55 PM EDT

==> '...Even on the SES Spectromedia demo site, all columns display at any screen size...'

This might be due to their separate Theme settings for Left/Right columns.  In addition, SE/SES/SEAO all have column-width widgets that may impact what's displayed.

==> '...all columns are at least visible on all their regular themes...'

On my Droid4 this works if I change to 'Requests Desktop Site'.  In fact, even my own site will display all columns when this is set.

==> '...Spectromedia is probably the best theme I've seen, and it works well on mobile...'

Which is why I swear by this Theme.  I got so frustrated with Mobi Plugin on mobile devices (just like this Forum is a pain to use - even on my Tab S2) that I tried numerous Themes at the time - many were 'Responsive', but not very Responsive at all.  SpectroMedia by SES is incredibly flexible and incredibly compatible with all the 100+ Plugins by 8 3PDs.  It's worth 2-3x the price.  There may be other Themes now that work as well, but SpectroMedia did it way back when others supposedly had (or should have had) very responsive Themes, but didn't.  SpectroMedia makes using practically any device a transparent function, and looks great on any device I've tried (can't say that about any other Theme).

This post was edited by gs at March 11, 2018 3:56 PM EDT
  • March 12, 2018 3:11 AM EDT
    MercuryMan said:

I'd like to use either the SES or SEAO Facebook clone themes (both are very nice).

On both their demo sites, when you resize your browser screen size, the left and right columns disappear when the screen gets to around 600px wide.

I'm talking about the smaller columns, which are usually about 300px wide. The main content column, the large one, shows fine.

So a mobile device that's 500px wide, which isn't that small, would not be able to view widgets in those smaller columns.

Any thoughts? undecidedundecided

@MercuryMan: We earlier had this feature in our theme, but many of the clients reported to remove the columns. But, since the code is just commented out, if you want we can enable the columns at no additional cost on your website.

If you need this, please contact our support team at: support@socialenginesolutions.com

@GS: Thanks a lot for your appreciations and liking the SpectroMedia theme.

Regards

Team SocialEngineSolutions