[NI]Hashtags/Tags not working correctly

• 119 posts
    March 11, 2018 1:20 PM EDT

Version meant to be 4.10.0

I have added a tags to videos, they show up on the "trending hashtags - widget" on the "main activity feed page", but clicking on the (#hash)tag; the result is "No results found".

Also if I have more than one of the same (#hash)tag in multiple video it only shows the 1 video (last one uploaded), not all other videos with the same (#Hash)tag.

If a tag in a video has a space "aaaa aaa" it shows up in the "trending hashtags - widget" on the main activity feed as "#aaa  aaa" which is correct, but clicking on the hashtag the reults is: "No reults found"

I don't know if this is an error in the software or I do something wrong.

Can someone double check this please?

Thanks!

This post was edited by Maurits at March 11, 2018 4:39 PM EDT
    • 45 posts
    March 11, 2018 1:48 PM EDT

Not having any of these issues on 4.10.0. Why are you on rc1 instead of final release?

• 119 posts
    March 11, 2018 4:38 PM EDT

@Stephan,

I meant 4.10.0, I'll change it

• 6923 posts
    March 12, 2018 4:46 AM EDT

Does it work on our demo? Please use 4.10.1 for your testing.

Please don't try spaces in hashtags. I'm pretty sure a space would end the tag or they could end up being an entire sentence. I believe at twitter it's the same. You use an underscore. I'll have to double check that.

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at March 12, 2018 4:46 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    March 12, 2018 8:50 AM EDT

I also can't reproduce this. If using a space in the status post, that won't work as it ends the hashtag after the first word as expected.

If using on a video when adding one in the video section, it works fine and shows all videos. I used the hashtag "guitar stuff" without the quotes.

• 119 posts
    March 12, 2018 11:55 AM EDT

Hi Donna,

Just got back from the hospital. I will try and update the version.

And will give it a try.

The problem is if you use the tags in the videos. Say you have 5 videos with the same tag say "snow", it will show up in the widgets, when clicking the hashtag "snow" in the widget, some times is only shows the last uploaded video and non else, so only 1 video in the results.

If you delete the tag in the last uploaded video it still shows the other "snow" tags as 1 hashtag in the widget, when clicking on the hashtag "snow" in the widget, no results found.

I will report back

• 119 posts
    March 12, 2018 2:16 PM EDT

Hi Donna,

I think where the problem lays. Just done some testing in version 4.10.0 before I update to 4.10.1

If you delete the actual post from an activity feed after you have uploaded the video. (not deleting the actual video. It is still showing the hashtag in the widget. So if the post is deleted but the video still exists and has still the Tag present then the result is: No results found.

1. Upload a video of YouTube, add a Tag "TestHashtag"

2. Upload another video of YouTube, add the same tag "TestHashtag"

3. Go to the main activity feed (The #TESTHASHTAG is showing in the widget)

4. Click the hashtag in the widget, and click the hashtag "#TESTHASHTAG"

5. Results: 2 videos are showing

1. Now go back to the main activity feed again.

2. Delete the two posts which contain the uploaded YouTube videos(not the actual videos), delete only the post from the activity feed.

3. The hashtag "#TESTHASHTAG" is still present in the widget.

4. Refresh the page.

1. The TAG (now hashtag) is still present in the widget as #TESTHASHTAG

2. Click on the #TESTHASHTAG in the widget

3. Now the result is: No results found

This is where the fault is, it is not looking at the actual videos for a hashtag (Tag), only the posts on the activity feed which contain a hashtag. I believe this will be the case with any module you can use the TAGs.

I hope this make more sense

• 6923 posts
    March 12, 2018 4:12 PM EDT

Did you clear cache after deleting the feeds? Noting that a hashtag is a feed. If the feed isn't there, the hashtag has no feed item. I'll test this again tomorrow though.

• 6923 posts
    March 13, 2018 9:40 AM EDT

I've marked this "NI" for Needs Improvement.  The issue is with the tag cloud. If you go to the videos and click one of the hashtags on the video itself, it finds the proper page. The widget for the tag cloud is not as it appears to be searching for the feed item. I haven't checked the code to see. 

• 6923 posts
    March 13, 2018 9:46 AM EDT
    Maurits said:

Hi Donna,

Just got back from the hospital. I will try and update the version.

And will give it a try.

I hope you're feeling better!

• 119 posts
    March 13, 2018 4:06 PM EDT

Hi Donna,

I am OK-ish thanks, getting there so I will be more supportive.

Thanks for changing it to NI.

---------

From what I gather is the Trending hashtag widget is looking for posts in the main- or any? activity feed on the system, but will also gather TAGS from other modules.

If you allow TAGS from any other module even when admin has deleted to post, in this case VIDEO, then you might also have a problem with the privacy setting of the video (public/private/network etc) or any other item in other modules.

The only thing I can think of is TAGS are not HASHTAGS  and video TAGS(or TAGS in other modules) should not be shown in the Trending Hashtag Widget in SE PHP.

People can click on the TAGS in the Video Module to show all videos with the same TAG, this also needs to be checked for all other modules.

I think where it goes wrong is when a video is uploaded with TAG, the software part that writes the post to the activity feed converts TAGS to HASHTAGS, which shouldn't be the case.

People can add a Hashtag in the description of the video itself only then is a HASHTAG present. The software should recognise this.

Also an improvement would be when creating a hashtag in the activity feed or in a description of any module or share content a pop-up should show when you start typing #, so you can see the existing HASHTAGS and click the right one, the more you type of the HASHTAG the less will show untill you have the right one or create a new one.

Keep in mind people can set a video, photo or other content to private.

This will create less error in HASTAGS.

• 131 posts
    January 24, 2022 1:07 PM EST

I know this is an older thread, but I'm having the same issues.

When I make a hashtag, it will show up in the trending hashtag module if a member has posted.  That's fine, where the problem is when I click on any of those "trending hashtags" in that module it takes me to the "Trending Hashtag Page", good there, but what I would expect is when I click on that hashtag, that I would be directed to that post, not a page with all of the hashtags.  When I'm on that hashtag page, I have to search for that related hashtag; seems pointless, unless I've set up something wrong?

The other question I have is that it only seems that there are hashtag-able widgets for Activity Feed, Photo's, Business and Blogs.  I'd like to be able to #hashtag other plugins such as forums, Polls and other plugins etc.  I do see that if I post a forum topic it does show up in trending posts, but I would like to be able to attach a tag(s) to any plugin post and the tag would direct the member to that post, when the member clicks on that tag.

I did find the search hashtag widget that places the hashtag search module anywhere on the website, however, that's only useful if you can designate a hashtag to any post from any plugin??

Am I missing something??

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

~T.

• 6923 posts
    January 25, 2022 5:41 AM EST

Yes we only have hashtags in some areas at the moment as hashtags are from the activity feed. Forums show in the activity feed but are a little different. We will improve this after v6 once we can. ATM we are tied up by the zend framework limitations. Please be sure to post a feature request in our feature request section for anything specific you would like though. Just to make sure we know. 

• 131 posts
    January 25, 2022 10:50 AM EST

Hi Donna

Good to know!!  Yay!! I was running in circles yesterday with researching the #hashtags widget thing here and how they worked or what I might have set up wrong, which wouldn't have surprised me....lol.  One of the main reasons I was looking into it is because I'm trying to address my SEO and felt like tagging was helpful to search engines unless that's all changed now too?  I do have the SNS-SEO plugin.  I just don't have any outside media pointing to my website, which is keeping me hidden, with exception of my mobile apps.  My Android app is in the playstore and I'm about to submit my Apple app for review.  Those are the only two outside resources I have....and then there's my content, but even that is a long road to reach out with.

I do have an SE plugin/feature wish list   I will start posting my wish list over the next month or so as I have time. ~T.