Ethnicity Options

• 378 posts
    March 14, 2018 3:12 PM EDT

Is there a way to edit the ethnicity options that are stock within the profile questions?

• 6923 posts
    March 15, 2018 8:27 AM EDT
    ITLJames said:

Is there a way to edit the ethnicity options that are stock within the profile questions?

Hell no! That'd make it too easy on ya. wink

Ok this was a cool one. You can actually change income and other fields in this file:

application/modules/Fields/settings/fields.php

line 347

NOTE: For those looking, that's a source edit. It'll be overwritten on upgrades. SocialEngine doesn't support customizations. Do so at your own risk.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    March 15, 2018 9:21 AM EDT
    Should this be an FR? IMHO, things like this should always be DB driven and allow editing, never hard-coded.
    • 6923 posts
    March 15, 2018 9:56 AM EDT

It would require changing all of the old fields. A rather large request but if one were added for the one thing, it could be considered. We just couldn't do them all at once, I'm pretty sure.

• 6923 posts
    March 15, 2018 9:58 AM EDT

Faster way to do this is to create your own Ethnicity field and fill in the options in that if someone didn't want the default one. At least for now.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    March 15, 2018 10:11 AM EDT
    Rather than make an FR, my hope is that SE keeps things like this in mind in future decisions. @Donna, you know me - flexibility and options is key to most software. Making assumptions is often incorrect (such as the Social Network choices FR that finally got somewhat addressed). SE is a great foundational tool that can be used in more ways than one can imagine and thus predetermining limited choices should be eliminated as much as possible, especially via hard-coding (IMHO).

Please give us the clay, not a choice of mugs
    • 6923 posts
    March 15, 2018 10:19 AM EDT
    gs said:
    Rather than make an FR, my hope is that SE keeps things like this in mind in future decisions. @Donna, you know me - flexibility and options is key to most software. Making assumptions is often incorrect (such as the Social Network choices FR that finally got somewhat addressed). SE is a great foundational tool that can be used in more ways than one can imagine and thus predetermining limited choices should be eliminated as much as possible, especially via hard-coding (IMHO). Please give us the clay, not a choice of mugs

Yes I know. I also feel the same for most things such as this sort of thing. However, we were handed a mug with 100 handles on it and one sip spot that seems on the other side of the cup... We are doing everything we can to get things the way they need to be for all of you.

• 378 posts
    March 15, 2018 12:49 PM EDT

I like the path of just creating my own ethnicity choices. SE will get there GS - no script can be everything for everyone and from my experience with other scripts SE is the only one listening and making daily/weekly improvements.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    March 15, 2018 6:51 PM EDT

@ITLJames

Yes, I agree with everything you just wrote

• 378 posts
    March 15, 2018 9:14 PM EDT

@GS - tell my wife to do the same! LOL

• gs
    • 857 posts
    March 15, 2018 10:07 PM EDT

uh-uh.  No way  When I got married, a senior gentleman pulled me aside to give me his best advice: 'No matter what, always get in the last 2 words of every argument.... yes, Dear.'