Profile Questions

• 16 posts
    March 17, 2018 9:16 PM EDT

I have found the area to edit profile questions but to add individually would take me a week to input.

I am trying to input for the question Hometown and city. I tried to paste a list of cities and states but it wont let me other then individually.

Is there an easy way to paste all cities and states for a drop down list?

• 15 posts
    March 18, 2018 2:24 AM EDT

Im guessing you could do a DB query and populate it...

In SE3 i saw a plugin wich would do that...SE4 not.

Ricardo

• 6923 posts
    March 19, 2018 6:45 AM EDT
    Dwayne said:

I have found the area to edit profile questions but to add individually would take me a week to input.

I am trying to input for the question Hometown and city. I tried to paste a list of cities and states but it wont let me other then individually.

Is there an easy way to paste all cities and states for a drop down list?

I also don't know of any way to do it and I had to do the same for Genres for authors/agents/publishers/readers so yeah, it's a lot of work. 

• 119 posts
    March 19, 2018 7:31 AM EDT

If I have to add a whole list to the MySQL, I download the list of the table, open it in excel, add what you like, make sure you don't overwrite the existing record numbers, save it the same file and import it into MySQL as csv file again.

Only do this with single tables, like Genre, Towns, Categories (Not cats from the forums as it is a tricky one !!).

If the site is not live, it is easy, you can sort the categories in excel and create new record numbers for them as some part in the SE PHP do not sort categories by name when displaying.

• 6923 posts
    March 19, 2018 9:07 AM EDT

Interesting idea.Thanks for posting.

• 119 posts
    March 19, 2018 1:01 PM EDT

Hi Donna,

It is easy when a site is not live, but an active site is easy too but you have to be careful not to overwrite the existing record numbers as categories won't match the categories names the member have selected.

This can be used for each module even the chat-rooms can be edited in this way.

** Do not use this to edit the forum categories!! It is different layout, as categories/sub-categories and security is build-in and are depending on each other.

To use/backup/download a category table:

PHPmyAdmin go to category_table and click Export,

Make sure you are in the right table "Exporting rows from your_table_categories",

Select CSV in the dropdown and click GO

MAKE SURE you have a extra copy of your table data in a CSV file may things go wrong, Just export twice the table data and don't overwrite the same file.

If the import goes wrong below: delete all data in the category_table and import the back-up csv file and you back to normal within 5 seconds.

MORE ROW DATA (Reconstruct data): If there is more data in a row, check the layout;

Some will have USER_ID and Date/Time added to the record row.

USER_ID can be 0 or 1 (0=Pre-install and 1 = record added by the admin)

Date/Time must be added, copy the previous record row date/time as listed in the CSV file

If the site is live

1.) Download the table data twice, one is your backup-file.

2.) You can only add data to the file, only thing is you have to add +1 to the highest category-id(column A).

- DO NOT delete existing data in the csv file. Only add to it.

- DO NOT sort your categories alphabetically once they are pasted in the csv file.

- DO NOT add missing category-id's, always add +1 to the highest category-id.

If you do any of the 3 above it will corrupt your category naming.

3.) Reconstruct any other columns

4.) Save the file

5.) Import the csv file (The import will overwrite all existing, even with no change, and add the new categories to the table)

If the site is not live, it is very easy:

Download the table as a csv file and open it Excel, look at the lowest number in the record column(A), it should be 1.

1.) Download twice the table data as a file, one is the backup-file

2.) Delete all data from both columns A and B.
    3.) Add all your categories in column B without quotation marks and other foreign characters like " or ' or ! or @ or < or >, etc. It should all be plain text. 

4.) Sort the categories an column B alphabetically A-Z

5.) Put a number 1 in A1

6.) Put in A2:  "= A1 + 1" result should be 2

7.) Copy and paste A2 to A3 all the way down to the bottom of your categories. All numbers should be +1

8.) Reconstruct any other columns (See above)

9.) Save the file

10.) Import the file into the table (The import will overwrite all categories with ID 1 and upwards)

You can add 3000+ categories like this within 5 minutes

• gs
    • 857 posts
    March 19, 2018 7:58 PM EDT

@Dwayne

The below Plugins allow entry of location (as detailed or general as the User wishes), and a whole lot more (location on map, searching by locs, etc.), but I don't believe during the signup process (SEAO's for example includes a Menu Item on the Member Profile Menu to add loc).  If you are requiring this info during signup, then the below may not offer you want you need.  

https://www.socialengineaddons.com/socialengine-advanced-members-plugin-better-browse-search-user-reviews-ratings-location

https://www.socialenginesolutions.com/social-engine/advanced-members-plugin/

https://socialenginemarket.com/plugins/member-map

This post was edited by gs at March 19, 2018 8:03 PM EDT
    • 378 posts
    March 19, 2018 8:05 PM EDT

I use SES's advanced members and it allows me to have user location on signup

• gs
    • 857 posts
    March 19, 2018 8:59 PM EDT

@ITLJames

Thanks for mentioning that, especially since it prompted me to look into this further.  SEAO also allows this during Signup but I hadn't yet configured that setting.  Always learning somethg new thx to so many helpful, informative ADMINs here like you and others

• 378 posts
    March 19, 2018 9:47 PM EDT

Happy to help anytime GS

• 16 posts
    March 20, 2018 12:29 AM EDT

thanks everyone!!

• 6923 posts
    March 20, 2018 5:05 AM EDT

Great thread! cool