Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

Redirection after signup

• 16 posts
    April 20, 2018 4:35 AM EDT

I would really like (because of privacy regulation in the EU) redirect users directly to the users privacy options page. Is that possible?

• 5860 posts
    April 20, 2018 5:26 AM EDT

Did you search the forum before posting? There is a post about this and a feature request in the feature section. The feature request is to allow admin to set the redirect url on login and on logout.

This post was edited by Donna at April 20, 2018 5:27 AM EDT
    • 16 posts
    April 20, 2018 5:54 AM EDT

I did, but could not find anything about it using the term 'sign-up' or 'signup'. Did not come up. But there is a feature request i understand. Meaning it is not possible at the moment without core hacks. That answers my question.

• 5860 posts
    April 20, 2018 5:58 AM EDT

Yes but I think the client had his own solution in the post. I don't recall.

• 16 posts
    April 20, 2018 6:13 AM EDT

There is something about redirecting after login/logout, without a solution. I will check code myself for solution.

• 5860 posts
    April 20, 2018 6:29 AM EDT

Ok he had two posts. This is why it's hard when people make duplicates LOL. I'll find the original and see if he has the solution in it. I believe it was a third party plugin.

• 5860 posts
    April 20, 2018 6:31 AM EDT

My bad. He didn't post the plugin. Will see if I can find one.

• 5860 posts
    April 20, 2018 6:33 AM EDT

Ok bad day for me. I don't find the plugin. It's possible someone was making one and just hasn't posted it. Might be good to ask your favorite expert if you don't want to make your own customization until a feature could be made for it if accepted.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    April 20, 2018 10:45 AM EDT
    This may be the FR you're looking for. I added signup to it because that just makes sense to allow it at that point. If this is the FR you were looking for, what I paid for was the code (2-3 lines) not a Plugin, but maybe someone has made a Plugin. My understanding is that since there's no hooks where needed, that the mod had to be made directly to Core. If OP wants the code and location I was provided, just PM me as I don't want to broadcast a Core edit.

http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/146/page-redirect-options-upon-login-logout/view/post_id/4470 />

• 370 posts
    April 21, 2018 6:07 PM EDT

To me, and if I was a developer looking at this, I would create a redirect after signup that took the new member on a walking tour of the site. First stop the privacy page and explanation as to what you can do there. Second stop your profile with pointers on what makes a great profile. Third stop the newsfeed explaining how to get it really hoping via making new friends etc...

You get the idea I am sure.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    April 21, 2018 8:29 PM EDT

@ITLJames

Good ideas.  For now, I use SES' Webpage Tour Plugin (I think SEAO has one too).  But this is only good for the currently viewed page and widgets.  So I am building videos attached to Buttons on various pages with useful titles.  In addition, I will eventually use h2desk's sidebar to easily access a knowledgebase including embedded videos.  I also use SocialEngineMarket's FAQ Plugin which is the first I've seen to easily build accordion FAQs on any page, so it's right in front of the User (and videos may be included).  I'm still learning lots here (thanks to fellow ADMINs like you), and am trying to use the tools that are available to help.

This post was edited by gs at April 21, 2018 9:13 PM EDT
    • 370 posts
    April 22, 2018 12:33 PM EDT

Sounds like a good plan - I will need to look at SES's tour plugin.

Does the FAQ plugin allow for videos or is it just typed?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    April 22, 2018 2:56 PM EDT

==> '...Does the FAQ plugin allow for videos or is it just typed?...'

Good question, which I don't have the answer for.  It uses TinyMCE, but on my site the Video icon is not displayed (image and link icons are though).  On SEM's website, the FAQ Plugin description includes a screenshot that includes the Video icon.  So you may want to ask them about it.  I have tested the widget in L/R, Middle, and Full-Width sections of pages and it uses all available space (i.e. in case you want to use a video or image that's too large for the L/R columns).  If you contact them, you may also want to ask if it's updated for 4.10.* since I'm still on 4.09.04p4 and won't be upgrading this year.  BTW - it's very easy to use: simply place the widget wherever you want in LE, and then edit the FAQs on that page when Site-ADMIN views the live page.  Oh - and what I really like is that they haven't 'decided for you' the order - you simply edit a sequence# for each FAQ and that's the order they display (not alpha or most recent or whatever - you decide by entering/editing the sequence#).

This post was edited by gs at April 22, 2018 3:01 PM EDT
    • 370 posts
    April 23, 2018 12:47 PM EDT

Thanks for the info! I will look at this after I launch... must launch.... ahhhhh!!!!

• 53 posts
    April 27, 2018 2:04 AM EDT

I understand how most people love the idea of changing the redirect after login but that feature is very annoying after the first time you login. What you might want to consider is a JavaScript that loads when the user first enters the site, a popup will come up with a timer of say 15 seconds that tells the user if they continue they agree to your terms of service and privacy statements edited on X day. Where this is nice is you can set a session/age cookie that says only show it the first time and if they have the cookie don't show it again. The even BETTER option is to have it store the popup acceptance in the database so if you change your TOS or Privacy, or need another popup for another notice, it would use that info to show it again, then if the user clears their cache it doesn't matter about the cookie.

Ive considering making this for my site upgrade coming in the fall, if I do, ill share the code but it won't be for a few months.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    April 27, 2018 9:48 AM EDT
    I guess 'annoying' is maybe dependent on how often. In my case, I simply want to go to another page that is more community-focused than the Member's Home page.

As for the popup/acceptance thing you mentioned, I vaguely recall a Plugin that did that (popped up a message requiring acceptance, stored the acceptance, etc.). If I find it I'll post back.
    • 53 posts
    April 27, 2018 2:21 PM EDT

The "Member Home Page" can be anything you want. It does NOT have to be the traditional Home you see. For example, on one of my sites, we changed it to include a welcome message plus content from recent photos, videos, and members. We then created a different page that includes the whats new wall. It comes down to thinking outside the box.

• 5860 posts
    April 27, 2018 2:31 PM EDT
    FM Ryan said:

The "Member Home Page" can be anything you want. It does NOT have to be the traditional Home you see. For example, on one of my sites, we changed it to include a welcome message plus content from recent photos, videos, and members. We then created a different page that includes the whats new wall. It comes down to thinking outside the box.

True. Here, the home page is actually the forum. Actually, I believe Ray redirected to the forum as we do still have the member home page - or we did. Yeah, it's Friday.

This post was edited by Donna at April 27, 2018 2:31 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    April 27, 2018 2:41 PM EDT

==> '...The "Member Home Page" can be anything you want....'

I though that was a good work around, until I started down that path.  I can't see creating a page that already exists (Member's Home page) just so I can use the initial page viewed upon login for something else.  Plus, there are some widgets that specifically work on the Member's Home page, so they would have to be modified to redirect to my 'new' home page.  Then those Plugins/widgets would have to be edited upon updating, which is another hassle.  This simply shouldn't be necessary.  I try to avoid causing a ripple effect as much as possible.

I have had to 'think outside the box' far too much during the past 2 years of Dev and just want more of the FRs over the past 3 years to be worked on.  I don't require SE to waste time developing functionality that already exists in 3PD products; I require SE to dev what 3PDs won't, and that's primarily Core stuff. 

Just because this won't work for me doesn't mean it won't for others - so I'm glad you posted it (as well as many of your other helpful posts).

This post was edited by gs at April 27, 2018 2:42 PM EDT
    • 5860 posts
    April 27, 2018 2:53 PM EDT

Here's how we redirect here. In the head.tpl we have the following which perhaps someone can use to change your own redirect if you want to:

<?php if( ($this->url() == '/members/home' || $this->url() == '/') && $this instanceof Zend_View ) { ob_clean(); header('Location: ' . $this->serverUrl('/forums/')); exit; } ?>

However, this particular redirect removes the members/home but it does show a way to redirect users.

This post was edited by Donna at April 27, 2018 2:54 PM EDT
  • May 3, 2018 2:28 AM EDT

@Bart: For the moment, you can use our "Page Builder and Shortcodes Plugin" which has Model Windows (Popups). You can choose to auto-open the popup on Member Home page and display any content of your choice in the popup. You can also give links to Privacy Page in the popup.

If you need any further customization or have doubts, you can contact our support team at support@socialenginesolutions.com.

• 16 posts
    May 14, 2018 6:35 AM EDT
    SocialEngineSolutions said:

@Bart: For the moment, you can use our "Page Builder and Shortcodes Plugin" which has Model Windows (Popups). You can choose to auto-open the popup on Member Home page and display any content of your choice in the popup. You can also give links to Privacy Page in the popup.

If you need any further customization or have doubts, you can contact our support team at support@socialenginesolutions.com.

Interesting solution, but how to auto-open the popup? The member homepage was not created by your widget?