Resources

• 106 posts
    May 2, 2018 8:38 PM EDT

Hello,

I would like to know if when plugins are installed but not used, they can use some resources on our server.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    May 2, 2018 9:13 PM EDT

Good ques.

(other than storage obviously, I'd like to know this too)  I'm presuming you are referring to RAM?  I'm curious if enabled/disabled makes a difference.

• 6923 posts
    May 3, 2018 5:00 AM EDT

If they are enabled then they could. If they are disabled then they wouldn't. You can use inspect element in your browser to see what is loading on a page. 

• 106 posts
    May 3, 2018 5:36 PM EDT

Gs, I thought quite it could use some bandwidth.

Donna thank you for the information !

• 53 posts
    May 9, 2018 2:05 PM EDT

It is POSSIBLE depending on how the plugin is configured - but generally speaking if it is not enabled it won't even load. The ONLY thing that might happen (and its RARE) is an auth to verify you own the plugin, but we are talking like 1Kb at MOST - so I wouldn't even worry about it. 

Can I ask why you would not just remove the plugin completely?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    May 9, 2018 3:50 PM EDT

==> '...Can I ask why you would not just remove the plugin completely?...'

In my case, it's because I don't know how to and don't want to risk negatively impacting the site.  From what I've read, it's not straight forward for many Plugins (which is supposedly why this FR hasn't yet been developed by SE).  I've paid 3PDs to remove their own Plugins (during the 4.09.* upgrade process).  Others I simply leave Disabled since there are some that I peridically Enable for testing and may possibly actually use.  At least SE made the Disable actually work in 4.09.03 (I think it was .03).

• 106 posts
    May 10, 2018 3:03 AM EDT

That is the same for me, I was afraid of making some issues by removing the plugin.

• 53 posts
    May 16, 2018 2:41 PM EDT

Honestly disabling does work - one of the DB calls made is to identify which plugins are set to Active (1) - so lets say on a clean site with only needed plugins you have a total of 20 (including core) - and on your site now you have 25 and 5 are disabled - it will need to check the 5 - so does that increase load time... TECHNICALLY yes - but we are talking MICRO seconds cause you would be looking at 5 lines in a Database and 5 bytes of data... 

I hope this helps!

• 106 posts
    May 21, 2018 12:59 AM EDT

Hello FM Ryan,

Yes it helps, thank you for the informations