Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

"Friends of Friends" option in Activity Feed

• 32 posts
    May 4, 2018 3:37 PM EDT

Is anyone aware of a setting or a 3rd Party plugin that allows the addition of a "Friends of Friends" privacy option for the status update? We looked and was not able to locate one.

We recently migrated from another social media platform and just realized this is not an option. Something we really should have noticed before the migration. It is causing a real stir for our members so we need to get it implemented ASAP. If needed we will looking into quickly making source code changes until we come up with a permanent solution.

Thanks in advance!

• gs
    • 857 posts
    May 4, 2018 3:44 PM EDT

Have you checked with SES and SEAO?  I use the SEAO Advanced Wall, but don't see a setting for Friends of Friends (but I could be missing it, because it's a setting in most other of their content Plugins).  SEAO does offer Custom Lists but that obviously wouldn't be an automatic sharing process.  Wish I could have been of more help :(

• 32 posts
    May 4, 2018 3:55 PM EDT

Yes we have the SEAO Advanced Activity plugin. Really we run all only their plugins. Initial thought was it would help with upgradeability. Not sure it was the best choice at this point due to support delays.

Many of their other plugins offer this setting. Albums, videos, etc. So we assumed it was available for status updates. We are now learning it is not.

• 370 posts
    May 4, 2018 5:27 PM EDT

I do not see it in the SES advanced newsfeed either...

Would be a very beneficial addition to help inspire networking

• 5860 posts
    May 4, 2018 5:27 PM EDT

Moved to proper forum section. Please check categories when posting. Thanks. :)

I am not aware of any Friends of Friends atm. Did you check SocialEngineSolutions if the SocialEngineAddons one doesn't do it?

• 5860 posts
    May 4, 2018 5:30 PM EDT
    ITLJames said:

I do not see it in the SES advanced newsfeed either...

Would be a very beneficial addition to help inspire networking

LOL we posted at the same time. Maybe one of the other advanced walls or I think there might be some "friendship" mods perhaps?

• 5860 posts
    May 4, 2018 5:41 PM EDT

I have a question as a webmaster - as I have a site too. Wouldn't friends of friends these days be very risky? RE: Facebook Cambridge scandal.

• 370 posts
    May 7, 2018 12:38 PM EDT

It depends on what you consider risk I guess. 

In the case of our network the whole point is for people of like interests to connect and typically people who enjoy the same things flock together. 

A friends of friends privacy setting would allow content to get to the people who would also enjoy whatever you have posted and are not yet connected to you.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    May 7, 2018 1:20 PM EDT

Although I see the benefit to extend one's network and connect, I want to be cautious about the receiving end.  If this was to be implemented, I'd like the ability to disable receiving from this group.  Imagine: If I have 25 friends, each with 25 friends, then the volume of potential content has just increased 25-fold, so there's now potentially content from 625 people that could inundate my feed.  I highly doubt that I will want to see content from an additional 600 people (but for those that do, then they could leave the inbound setting enabled).  In my site, it's specific content not necessarily connections that matter.  This is one of the reasons that Customized Lists and filters is so helpful with the SEAO (and probably SES) Adv Activity Feeds - many specific content types may be enabled/disabled with the click of the mouse. 

Plus, there's obviously the additional overhead on the server because this friends-of-friends can be exponential in resource usage.

• 370 posts
    May 7, 2018 2:30 PM EDT

I see your point for your type of niche. My experience has been the more content a member has to scroll through the longer they are on our site. Our average session is just over 8 minutes per visit and on a busy day this can spike to almost 20 minutes. This is huge for ranking, member retention and a number of other things!

• 53 posts
    May 7, 2018 10:12 PM EDT

What I would suggest and I know its out there (dont remember where though) - is using "People you may know" - This way you could at least see people you might be interested in connecting with while at the same time keeping a level of privacy. This also resolves the concern from @gs for overhead (which might I add with the right configuration of a full reds server and opcache as well as CDN, the overhead of friends-of-friends shouldn't be to bad)

• 370 posts
    May 8, 2018 12:11 PM EDT

Im not sure many here would need to worry about the overhead due to size and activity of their communities. 

I for one see merit and a need for a friends of friends sharing option with our community and will be looking at having it developed.