IM Menu - Can it be hidden?

• 128 posts
    June 13, 2018 4:41 PM EDT

I am truly a NOOB, and ask for your patience with me on this question. I am a volunteer for a non-profit organization and am helping them with anything technical. I'm new to CSS and html5, but am muddling my way through ok.

My question is this:

We have Chat 4.10.1 by Webligo as we purchased the Advanced php version of Social Engine.

When I enable that plugin, this appears at the bottom right hand corner of my screen:

https://s5.postimg.cc/756s1ab07/Screen_Shot_2018-06-13_at_8.16.49_AM.png 

The organization I am helping only wants that to appear on two pages and to be hidden on the rest. Is this something that is possible?

And if it's possible, can someone explain in very basic steps how I would go about accomplishing this?  I know it takes time to explain things simply to folks like me, so please know that I'm very appreciative of anyone who is willing to help.

TIA

• 6923 posts
    June 13, 2018 5:37 PM EDT

Sorry I didn't see this before. Had a headache all day and my work day was over hours ago so I forgot to come check. I'll fire up my local install and see if I can help post some tips.

• 6923 posts
    June 13, 2018 5:42 PM EDT

Which pages do you want it on/off? Will help if I know which one you want it off really but will go try to look.

• 128 posts
    June 13, 2018 5:50 PM EDT

Sorry you have a headache, YUCK!

We only want it on these two pages:

http://wfsonline.org/pages/CCLChat

http://wfsonline.org/pages/newlifecafe

Thanks so much for your time, Donna!

• 6923 posts
    June 13, 2018 6:21 PM EDT

No problem. I can't see stuff on your site so I'll use my local as an example and show what works.

Be working in a clone theme and not the original themes.

Using inspect element for this, in chrome because it can be friendlier. We right click on the IM thingy to open inspect element so that CSS stuff is in the screen.

Using the member home page as an example. First you need to find what page you are on that you want to hide the chat from. So looking at the member home, it's like this image:

That tells us the page. We will put this all together in a bit.

Now, we want to hide the entire IM box thingy. So we go up that page a little and we see the following IM code. We click it and to the right, we see what we need to grab. (in our screenshot, you'll see the code I already added but you will at least get the idea)

So we know that for each page, we need to have the page:

#global_page_user-index-home

and the IM container:

#im_container

and the code to hide that container:

{ display: none; }

Which looks like this when it's done:

#global_page_user-index-home #im_container{ display: none; }

We put that in our Theme.CSS or Custom.CSS depending on which theme we are using, all the way at the end of the code already in there.

We do it for each page. So let's say we now want blog:

all we change is the page as the rest of the code is the same. Based on the above, the page is

#global_page_blog-index-index

so the code would be 

#global_page_blog-index-index #im_container{ display: none; }​

This is simplified and you could consolidate it into one long line.

#global_page_user-index-home #im_container, #global_page_blog-index-index #im_container{ display: none; }

As for making it any better, I'm no CSS expert so I fly by the seat of my pants.

• 6923 posts
    June 13, 2018 6:23 PM EDT

Please let me know if that is not clear.

• 128 posts
    June 13, 2018 6:43 PM EDT

Thank you so much Donna, I will give it a try and let you know how it goes. 

• 128 posts
    June 13, 2018 8:13 PM EDT

WoooooHooooooo! The fact that I was actually able to do that is a testament to your clear, easy to follow directions, thank you thank you thank you!

I am guessing that since i have the Chat plugin turned on, it's on for the entire site and the only way to do this is to hide it on the pages I don't want it on. It would be so much easier if I could just turn it ON for the two pages I want, but hey, this is a workaround, right?

Thanks again Donna!!!!!

• 6923 posts
    June 14, 2018 4:47 AM EDT

You're welcome.Yes if you modified the code you could have done it the other way but that's another monkey to give a banana. Was out of bananas and I didn't think you wanted to climb the tree to get one lol.

• 22 posts
    June 14, 2018 8:14 PM EDT

HEllo can someone help please?

I received an error from google about my sitemap. Can someone tell me what the URL that I should put in there?

Thank you

Also I clicked on Forum Archives to try to create my own post but it says to Login Yet my login info wont work

• 6923 posts
    June 15, 2018 5:20 AM EDT

This wouldn't be the correct forum thread for that. http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/751/sitemap-how-does-it-work check that thread.