Change members Profile Type

• 378 posts
    June 18, 2018 12:12 AM EDT

We have two profile types - Community & Business. I want to adapt some past members who signed up prior to us having two types to our new Business member type.

Any help appreciated!

This post was edited by ITLJames at June 18, 2018 12:12 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    June 18, 2018 4:52 AM EDT

Please see the tutorial that is linked in that page for how to map the profile types. You just select to migrate the members over.It's also in the member level tutorial I believe. I can grab tuts after work if you don't find them.

• 6923 posts
    June 18, 2018 4:57 AM EDT

You can do this step by editing the profile mapping if you hadn't done it already. 

• June 18, 2018 5:26 AM EDT
    ITLJames said:

We have two profile types - Community & Business. I want to adapt some past members who signed up prior to us having two types to our new Business member type.

Any help appreciated!

Do you want to allow users to update their Profile Type for their profiles? If Yes, then this currently can not be done in the SE site.
    But, this can be customized, so please contact our support team if you need any further assistance on this.

• 6923 posts
    June 18, 2018 5:29 AM EDT

You are incorrect. They can update their profile type in current SE. We made the profile mappings import current users by following the tutorials I mentioned. Please always check our blog releases for features when we make a release as this option has been available for a few releases. 

• 6923 posts
    June 18, 2018 5:36 AM EDT

https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1665238-admin-panel---manage->-member-levels this is the tutorial for how to do mappings and how to import current users into the new profile type/member level mappings. Once done, as soon as the member logs in again, they will be in the profile type you mapped to their level.

• June 18, 2018 5:53 AM EDT
    Donna said:

https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1665238-admin-panel---manage->-member-levels this is the tutorial for how to do mappings and how to import current users into the new profile type/member level mappings. Once done, as soon as the member logs in again, they will be in the profile type you mapped to their level.

Yes Donna, we had checked this feature.

But, we just asked James if he want users to choose to switch their Profile Types themselves like they can change their profile address from General Settings.

Following the tutorial: this feature can be done from admin panel only.

We apologize, if we are missing anything here.

• 6923 posts
    June 18, 2018 6:27 AM EDT

Ok he didn't state that here and we don't want to confuse other clients looking into thinking they can't map profile types and move current members into those types. Thanks for clarifying.

• 378 posts
    June 18, 2018 8:53 AM EDT

Cool - I will revisit the tut as I read it but must have missed what I was looking to accomplish. 

Specifically, as Admin, I want to be able to change a members Profile Type from Community Member to Business Member on our site. 

• 6923 posts
    June 18, 2018 9:17 AM EDT

Yes you can do that with the tut. I did it at my author site. 

• 6923 posts
    June 18, 2018 9:20 AM EDT

I should clarify. You can't go in the edit member and change it there. You simply go in the mappings and click a button to import the current members to that profile type. Then once those members log in, they will be in the new type. 

Newer members joining would get assigned to the type based on the mapping.

• 378 posts
    June 18, 2018 10:46 AM EDT

Gotcha - I need a one off ability as I will need to select by each user who will be changed (I only need to move 30 or so). I will have a plugin developed.

• 629 posts
    June 28, 2018 3:00 AM EDT

Nice work!