Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

Atlas Theme + Advanced Activity Feeds from Social Engine AddOns

• 5 posts
    June 20, 2018 4:11 PM EDT

I'm having a weird issue with the display of icons when using the Atlas theme that I purchased, in conjunction with the Advanced Activity Feeds plugin from Social Engine AddOns.  The problem is that the icons for things like "Comment" and "Share" are showing both the Atlas theme icons and the Advanced Activity Theme icons. When on desktop, it just looks weird showing extra icons, and on mobile it squishes them all together making it hard to read.

This only happens with the Atlas theme. If I enable the Insignia theme, then only the Advanced Activity Feeds icons show.  I'm assuming this is a bug in the Advanced Activity Feeds plugin, and I've been trying to figure out how to hide the Atlas theme icons via custom CSS, but so far have not been successful. I was just wondering if anyone else has this theme and plugin running, and if you have experienced the multiple icon issue and have been able to fix it.  Thanks!

I'm including an image showing what I'm talking about.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 20, 2018 5:14 PM EDT

What did SEAO have to say about this?

I'm curious where the responsibility will fall to resolve this.  Typically, it's the responsiblity of the 3PD to resolve issues with standard SE, but since SE sells this Theme in the marketplace (just like other themes), does the Theme Developer have to resolve this, or the developer of the Activity Feed?  In other words, is this treated like all other standard SE products, or like a '3PD' product, so it's just like any other Theme in the marketplace which may have a conflict with another 3PD product, i.e. 2 different vendors, so who is responsible to resolve?

• 5 posts
    June 20, 2018 5:18 PM EDT

I haven't asked SEAO yet, because I no longer have a support contract with them and I'm anticipating a reply to the effect of "First get a support contract, then we'll talk."  I wanted to see first if anyone had already been down this road.  I can definitely reach out to them and see if they have anything to say about it without immediately jumping to the "buy a support contract first" argument.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 20, 2018 5:50 PM EDT

Ah...

Well, hopefully @Donna will chime in with the answer determining who must resolve (SEAO or SEAO/SE working together).  But maybe if you contacted SEAO with a link to this thread, they may be willing to resolve this if it's determined to be an issue in their Plugin (i.e. it could affect everyone using their Plugin with Atlas, not just you - so this would be a fix to their Plugin, not a fix to 'your' site).  Fingers crossed...

• 5 posts
    June 20, 2018 5:53 PM EDT

I just sent a message to SEAO, so we'll see what they say about it.

• 5871 posts
    June 20, 2018 6:38 PM EDT

They would need to make it work with the theme. It's a customization and we (SE) don't do custom small projects. 

• 5871 posts
    June 20, 2018 6:39 PM EDT

To work with Atlas, please see the tutorial at our knowledgebase as it has instructions on how to work with it. It uses LESS and you need to compile it in order for it to work or change things in the admin panel theme editor via the Custom.Less in admin. More details in the tutorials in the knowledgebase. 

• 5871 posts
    June 20, 2018 6:42 PM EDT

This tut was done before we added the custom.less file. https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/2867292-atlas-theme-instructions?b_id=14386 but it still works, just use the custom.less instead of the variable.less.

Here's a tut for LESS. https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/2863161-using-less-for-your-themes?b_id=14386

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 20, 2018 7:07 PM EDT

==> '...They would need to make it work with the theme...'

@Donna

Does this mean it is always the responsibility of 3PDs to make their products compatible with any SE product?

This post was edited by gs at June 20, 2018 7:40 PM EDT
    • 5871 posts
    June 21, 2018 4:38 AM EDT

Yes it is the responsibility of any third party expert to make their product compatible with another on your site. Not for free though. Up to them if they charge for those customizations. Not just for Atlas. For anything that conflicts. They can refuse to do it as well. However, the client can also choose to make customizations to atlas instead of to the wall. I made a lot of changes to Atlas on my site.

• 331 posts
    June 21, 2018 6:29 AM EDT
    meeko said:

I just sent a message to SEAO, so we'll see what they say about it.

Thanks for reaching out to us. We will get back to you via email.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 21, 2018 12:58 PM EDT

==> '...Yes it is the responsibility of any third party expert to make their product compatible with another on your site....'

@Donna

I apologize, but I'm seeking clarification on that, specifically when it comes to SE 'extra' products.  What I'm asking about is the 3rd scenario below:

S#01 3PD#1 product and 3PD#2 product are presenting an issue.  My understanding is that either or both may work on the resolution, depending on what is causing the issue.

S#02 SE PHP Products (on Products page) and 3PD#1 product are presenting an issue.  My understanding is that the 3PD#1 must make their product work with SE (unless SE determines it's a bug with their product)

S#03 SE MarketPlace products (such as Atlas Theme) and 3PD#1 product are presenting an issue (what this Forum Topic is addressing).  Is this like Scenario#01 or Scenario#02?

• 5871 posts
    June 21, 2018 1:56 PM EDT

Product support is based on the terms stated in the expert's policy page for that. If the expert states that their products are guaranteed to work with OTHER third party products and with OFFICIAL SocialEngine core/theme (Insignia)/plugins (blog, classified, photo, etc) then you would go by that. It all depends on the expert's stated support. So, you would ask that expert about what they support in regards to this thread.

For SE, we state that we do not support third party products. Our Atlas theme works well with default stuff. If it doesn't work well with external third party stuff, then you fall back to that expert's stated support. If they state that their plugin works fine with their stuff, with default SE stuff and with any other third party stuff (which would include extra SE produced items) then they would need to support it. If they state that they provide customizations for their plugin and other third party stuff if it doesn't work with that item, then it would be paid custom work. Atlas is an additional item that can be purchased separately and is not included in any default SE package. 

Hope that helps.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 21, 2018 2:12 PM EDT

My apologies Donna, but I'm a little confused (easier to do as I get older).

==> '...For SE, we state that we do not support third party products. ...'

By SE, are you referring to Core products, or any product SE releases?

The semantics are what's confusing me, and how SE defines certain terms.

==> '... OTHER third party products and with OFFICIAL SocialEngine core/theme (Insignia)/plugins ....'

So, what does SE consider the Atlas Theme to be?  Based on the above, it seems to be a non-core product, but since SE developed it, it can't technically be called a 3rd-Party product.

==> '...Our Atlas theme works well with default stuff. If it doesn't work well with external third party stuff, then you fall back to that expert's stated support....'

This is what I'm trying to get at - until we now what SE products like Atlas are considered (i.e. core or sortof a 3rd Party Product), we can't enforce any policy by an Expert.  There's SE Core, Other 3rd-Party Products, and things like Atlas - which I'm trying to determine where it falls.

Thanks.

• 5871 posts
    June 21, 2018 2:30 PM EDT
    gs said:

My apologies Donna, but I'm a little confused (easier to do as I get older).

==> '...For SE, we state that we do not support third party products. ...'

By SE, are you referring to Core products, or any product SE releases?

https://www.socialengine.com/terms-and-privacy/support-policy please see our support policy. We do not provide technical support or customizations for third party products. We do not provide customizations to our products to adjust for third party products. 

The semantics are what's confusing me, and how SE defines certain terms.

==> '... OTHER third party products and with OFFICIAL SocialEngine core/theme (Insignia)/plugins ....'

So, what does SE consider the Atlas Theme to be?  Based on the above, it seems to be a non-core product, but since SE developed it, it can't technically be called a 3rd-Party product.

Atlas is a non-core product. It is not sold in any of our default standard packages of Essential or Advanced. It is an extra product produced by SocialEngine. I did phrase it wrong above. It is an "official" product only in the way that it is produced by the official SocialEngine company. However, it is an additional offering that does not come packaged with the product. We may at times release other additional products that are not sold with the core package and plugins. 

==> '...Our Atlas theme works well with default stuff. If it doesn't work well with external third party stuff, then you fall back to that expert's stated support....'

This is what I'm trying to get at - until we now what SE products like Atlas are considered (i.e. core or sortof a 3rd Party Product), we can't enforce any policy by an Expert.  There's SE Core, Other 3rd-Party Products, and things like Atlas - which I'm trying to determine where it falls.

Thanks.

It is an extra product produced by SocialEngine but sold separately as an additional item. It is not covered in our support plans but we do answer standard questions about it. We do not customize it or provide any customizations for it. 

I cannot find any other way to phrase what I will say next so please do not take it wrong. I believe the questions are just over complicating the issue.

Atlas is a SocialEngine product. Atlas works for the SocialEngine core and SocialEngine plugins that SocialEngine produces. Atlas is not guaranteed to conform to external third party coding standards as each expert has their own methods. Should there be a conflict with Atlas and an external developer's products then that expert would need to resolve it via their own support channel or via their customization department. 

An external developer is a developer that is not SocialEngine. Such as, I am an external developer for my ScriptTechs products I have in the marketplace. If you go here, https://www.socialengine.com/marketplace , and a listing is by an expert other than SocialEngine, they are an external developer and their products are 3rd party products.

This is the best I can do as I cannot seem to find other words to make the same point lol. If you can, please do. :)

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 21, 2018 3:26 PM EDT

==> '...We do not provide customizations to our products to adjust for third party products. ...'

That helps clarify things because I couldn't make that determination based on the Support Policy wording I read (the same as the link you provided).

My apologies for complicating the issue with questions - I just wasn't clear (until now) about SE/PHP, Core, 'Our', Official, etc.). 

As always, thanks Donna :)

• 5871 posts
    June 22, 2018 4:46 AM EDT

You don't need to apologize for posting questions. It's fine. I just had trouble answering in a way that was understood I guess. :) So, please do keep posting and asking questions when you need clarification and I'll keep trying to answer those questions. At some point, we'll get the answer you need. cool