Displaying tabs on Member Home, Member Profile pages/layouts

• 4 posts
    June 23, 2018 7:52 PM EDT

I am trying to customize the Member Home and Member Profile pages to display the logged-in member's albums, videos, music, events, etc. The Layout Editor for both pages shows the blocks in the Tab Container (see image below). 

However, the tabs do not display on the pages. The Member Home page only shows the What's New tab.  The Member Profile page only shows the Update and Info tabs.

I've consulted the documentation and searched the forum, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I suspect that the tabs aren't being displayed because the member account I'm using for testing doesn't have any albums, videos, music, or events. Could that be the issue? If so, can I override the default (using the administration panel) and display the tabs anyway?

My goal is place controls for viewing and searching site-wide "stuff" (albums, events, etc.) in a navigational area near the top of pages, while the logged-in member can view and edit her "stuff" in their member area (which would be the Home and Profile pages).

I hope this makes sense!

Thank you.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 23, 2018 9:06 PM EDT

==> '...I suspect that the tabs aren't being displayed because the member account I'm using for testing doesn't have any albums, videos, music, or events. Could that be the issue?...'

On the Member Profile page, you are correct.  Just add some content for the test User to display the Tabs.  A tip - use different browsers to login as different Users.  For example, I login as ADMIN using FF, a test User in Chrome (I prefer Chrome for visual testing of the Theme results in different sized windows), then I use IE for temporary/random testing (logging in/out often to quickly test whatever I need to).

There may be some other content type widgets to do this (I use 3PD Plugins instead of SE for most content, so these widgets don't exist in my Layout Editor).

I'm not sure if you can (or truly want to) display Profile stuff on the Member's Home page (each page sortof serves its own purpose).  Plus, the more you include on the MHP the longer it takes to load upon signing-in, and you may want to keep this page loading as quickly as possible.  

On my site, I include new/pertinent content of the User's Friends on their MHP, since they can easily see their own stuff on their Profile page.  This invites them to browse the site.

==> '...can I override the default (using the administration panel) and display the tabs anyway?...'

Typically no content = no Tab.  I think there should be a setting for this fir each widget in Layout Editor.  There are some Tabs that I'd like to display even with no content so the User is aware and it may entice them to add content.  Without a Tab, they may not realize what they're missing.

This post was edited by gs at June 23, 2018 9:12 PM EDT
    • 4 posts
    June 23, 2018 10:51 PM EDT

Thanks for the quick reply and great information, gs! I have been using the multi-browser strategy for admin and testing, but I see why Chrome would be preferred for testing themes.

I agree with you about not co-mingling Profile and Home page content. That was a request from my "client" (a relative I'm helping), who seems to be emulating  Facebook's design. Your comment about page load speeds is important to consider.

I've been using the trial version of SocialEngine, and I'm working my way through its features. I'll add learning about widgets and plug-ins high on my to-do list. I like what I've seen so far, and I think SocialEngine would be a good base for building my client's site.

• 6923 posts
    June 24, 2018 6:44 AM EDT

When checking what widgets to use, please consider this tutorial that says which ones work on which pages of the site. Profile info stuff will not work on any pages other than profiles.  https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/1635216-which-widgets-are-allowed-on-which-pages?b_id=14386

Hope that helps.

• 4 posts
    June 24, 2018 8:39 AM EDT

Thanks, Donna. That information is helpful! 

• 6923 posts
    June 25, 2018 4:15 AM EDT

You're welcome.

• 629 posts
    June 28, 2018 2:57 AM EDT

Are there any plans to relax that requirement?