Ability to set different display languages for admin and site

• 36 posts
    July 15, 2018 12:10 AM EDT

Hi

Is it possible in SocialEngine to set one language for the admin panel and another display language for the site? If not, I think this can be a nice feature.

I don't like to work with the admin panel with the language my users prefer to see the site. By the way, the ability to set a specific language especially English for the admin panel enables better guide and reference to management tasks and configuration.

• 6923 posts
    July 15, 2018 5:44 AM EDT

This is already available. You can set your front end language to English for the super admin user and then the admin panel will also display in English. As we recommend to keep the super admin user only for administering the site in most cases, this works well. You then could have a normal user for doing normal site stuff. That is how I have it on my own site. My super admin user only logs in to do updates, ban users, post announcements, etc. My normal user is the one that logs in daily to interact with users and post on the site.

• 36 posts
    July 17, 2018 6:06 AM EDT

But, this changes language for all site, both admin panel and the site. As far as I know language can be changed from either admin>Settings>Locale or the site footer.

Currently, if I want to see the admin panel in English, I have to browse to my website and change display language to English from the footer and then get back to admin panel. Kind of annoying. Found no explicit option to set display language for admin and not affect the site pages.

• 6923 posts
    July 17, 2018 7:53 AM EDT

It changes it for you for the site. You just change it back if you want. It doesn't change it for everyone else. 

• 6923 posts
    July 17, 2018 7:55 AM EDT

I moved this back to feature requests but I don't know if we'll consider it yet. I think the better option is to use a different user as the super admin user as that's more secure.

• 36 posts
    July 18, 2018 7:56 AM EDT

Thank you Donna