Language Manager

• 8 posts
    August 1, 2018 9:34 AM EDT

Hi, can someone from SE (or anyone knowledgeable about SE design) please clarify something for me? Am I right in assuming that the concept of language manager is that admin should be able to find ALL phrases (not coding) that can be seen in the front end so that they can either be corrected for grammar or translated?

I have a situation where I have purchased a theme and plugins from one of your SE developers and I cannot find a number of phrases that appear on the front end so I can't correct them.

Is my expectation that I should be able to find all these front end phrases in the language manager unreasonable?

• 378 posts
    August 1, 2018 11:02 AM EDT

My experience with 3pd's is that not all phrases were found there until I asked for ones that I came across to be made available for editing. I would contact the 3pd to ask for the ones you have found to be placed in language manager.

• 8 posts
    August 1, 2018 11:29 AM EDT

Thanks for the response.

So basically they SHOULD be ensuring this data feeds into language manager but they don't? smile

Ugh. SE should check this is the case before certifying these plugins because what's the point of having language manager then?

A lot of these developers are very good with the technical knowledge and coding but most are not native English speakers so I don't understand why they don't allow their data to feed into language manager so native English speakers can correct it, if need be.

I've reached out to them asking them to point me to where I can make these changes as they are not feeding through to language manager. They told me to make the changes in the language csv files which I spent a whole day doing, only to discover that it hadn't fed through to the front end!!

Even worse, there are some phrases which when changed in the language manager, don't change on the front end!!!

OMG. I just want to scream. Hopefully they'll get back to me with what I need to do because there's a LOT of grammar to be corrected and I really don't want to spend the rest of the year still trying to sort this out.

• 378 posts
    August 1, 2018 12:20 PM EDT

The certification process does not look at language as part of the criteria, and it really couldn't as that would be subjective to where people are and what language they speak.

I am assuming it is quicker/easier not to put things into language manager for 3pd's so if they can shave some time off of development by hardcoding they do... again I am only assuming this.

• 8 posts
    August 1, 2018 12:46 PM EDT

No, I wouldn't expect SE to check language is correct. It would be nice if they just told developers to make sure it feeds into the language manager, you know? That way those of us who want to change anything can do so.

I don't want to waste a developer's time asking them to change grammar. I can do it myself if they just let me know how/where - or feed it into language manager.

Speaking of which, do you happen to know how to feed phrases into language manager? I have a bunch of language csv files for each plugin. Would be great to know how to feed them into the language manager's en.csv file so I can edit them from there.

Does the transfer require coding?

• 378 posts
    August 1, 2018 12:57 PM EDT

Sorry I can't help with that as I use developers for this type of work.

• 6923 posts
    August 2, 2018 5:21 AM EDT

Here's a link to our table of contents for our knowledgebase, https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1686929-socialengine-php-v4-table-of-contents?_ga=2.125545802.1309677166.1533201494-1755649723.1533201494 . Everything in admin is covered there.

https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1658320-admin-panel---layout->-language-manager that will help with phrases.

For third party issues, please post in the third party section and please contact the experts to tell them to put phrases for their hard coded stuff. As far as I know, all of the plugins I have free in the certified marketplace under my ScriptTech's company have phrases where it's possible to have a phrase.

For the phrases you want to add, please contact the expert as their files also have to be coded to accept the phrases. You then can put it in like the tutorial shows for languages. You don't put it in the en.csv. It's best to do it via the language manager. Alternately, you can put them in the custom.csv but if you make a mistake with it, you break things.