Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

Where to Find a Good SE Developer?

• August 15, 2018 3:51 AM EDT

Hi there,

I'm looking for an SE developer to create a fully responsive theme that works on all devices without problems. Or a development team that can help to fix problems with an existing theme that I have.

If anybody can recommend an expert who can do this, that would be greatly appreciated or point me to another website where I can find such a person or company.

Thanks in advance!

• 5871 posts
    August 15, 2018 5:18 AM EDT

Moved to proper forum section for 3rd party discussions. I suggest to check to see which experts have certified themes and then get quotes from them. Those would be the ones that are active. Even better is to see which ones of those experts also post in this community as you then also know that they are into customer service and helping the community.

Which theme? I used Atlas for my site but had to go back to Insignia as I didn't have time to customize it how I wanted it. I found it worked fine on all devices for my authors. I've heard good things from clients about various responsive themes. Did you check the posts about those via a search in the forum? 

• August 15, 2018 12:41 PM EDT

Hi Donna,

Thanks for your message. 

The problem with SocialEngine is the responsiveness of the themes and general bugginess of plugins otherwise it would be awesome. I have been using the Responsive Expose theme from SES, but I can't get it to work properly on all devices and I spend more time trying to fix problems with themes and plugins than actually developing and building my community.

At this point, I'm wondering if I need a completely custom solution built from the ground up, but I just don't know where to find somebody reputable to do it.

I was hopping that SE was the answer, but it seems that most themes and plugins are half baked and have continuous issues, which is a real shame. However, I'll keep searching for other themes as you suggested and I'll see if I can get Social Engine working for me the way I would like it.

Thanks again!

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 15, 2018 7:06 PM EDT

@Marko

I use SES' excellent SpectroMedia Theme which is fully responsive in my testing across Win7/8/10 using FF/Chrome/IE/Edge.  I also have tested with Android (4.0 - 8) on devices from my 6yo Droid4 and 6 Samsung Tablets and phones plus a Nook HD+ (oddball, I know).  Not much testing in the Apple world yet, but that's primarily because I hope to use an App by then.  

There were some .css conflicts due to products from 8-9 3PDs, but for the most part it's been a very responsive Responsive Theme (better than any theme I tried, including SE's) across OSs, browsers, and devices w/various screen sizes.  What I really appreciate is that even on smaller displays where 3 columns won't fit, it typically is still able to display 2 columns (even on the small Droid 4).  Also, both portrait & landscape work great.  In addition, I've had this theme customized by SES who are great at UI/UX.  Please keep in mind that nothing will be perfect and an expectation of all devices may be unrealistic (and quite possibly unnecessary IMHO).

==> '...that most themes and plugins are half baked and have continuous issues,...'

I too have had poor experiences with some products, but have had great success and compatibility with SpectroMedia (wasted over a grand buying/testing Themes).

If you're experiencing lots of bugginess, I'd suggest making sure you are using a great host (I use FastComet, but there are others), contacting the 3PD to resolve the issues (may require some sort of support fee), and if that fails, post specific issues here with screenshots and useful info so helpful fellow-ADMINs may chime in.

This post was edited by gs at August 15, 2018 8:42 PM EDT
  • August 16, 2018 1:05 AM EDT
    Marko said:

Hi Donna,

Thanks for your message. 

The problem with SocialEngine is the responsiveness of the themes and general bugginess of plugins otherwise it would be awesome. I have been using the Responsive Expose theme from SES, but I can't get it to work properly on all devices and I spend more time trying to fix problems with themes and plugins than actually developing and building my community.

At this point, I'm wondering if I need a completely custom solution built from the ground up, but I just don't know where to find somebody reputable to do it.

I was hopping that SE was the answer, but it seems that most themes and plugins are half baked and have continuous issues, which is a real shame. However, I'll keep searching for other themes as you suggested and I'll see if I can get Social Engine working for me the way I would like it.

Thanks again!

@Marko: We apologize for any inconvenience caused to you. And, we request you to please contact our support team at support@socialenginesolutions.com , so that we can check and fix the issues on your site. Sometimes the issues can come due to conflicts with some other party plugins or functionalities on a site, so we will be able to assist you after checking the issue on your site.

Looking forward for your reply.

Regards

Team SES

• August 16, 2018 12:01 PM EDT

Many thanks for your reply GS, I appreciate that.

I went to take a look at the SpectroMedia Theme, but the demo is broken unfortunately, much like most of the SE themes and plugins I've come across. 

It looks like I may have to find a developer to build my site for me from scratch, but thanks again for your advice.

This post was edited by Deleted Member at August 16, 2018 12:02 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    August 16, 2018 12:55 PM EDT

@Marko

You're welcome :)

You may want to contact SES about the specific pages you're having an issue with in their Demo, but below are 2 pages to show what you should be seeing.  Maybe there's an issue with your browser or you need to clear cache to 'reset' the .css?

If you wish, PM me and I'll provide login details in to my Dev site so you may take a look at SpectroMedia an how it functions with > 100 Plugins from approx 8 3PDs.

It would be helpful if you provided screenshots of what's broken so maybe ADMINs here can chime in to offer assistance. 

Although my experience has been more positive (i.e. most stuff isn't broken and works properly on multiple OS, browsers, and devices), I agree that customizing everything typically get's you exactly what you want.  But most of us have neither the time or money to do so, so we start with what works that addresses much (most?) of what we require, then customize the rest ('rest' based on how much time and money we have and how important each function is to us and our Users/Members). 

• August 17, 2018 2:14 AM EDT
    Marko said:

I went to take a look at the SpectroMedia Theme, but the demo is broken unfortunately, much like most of the SE themes and plugins I've come across. 

It looks like I may have to find a developer to build my site for me from scratch, but thanks again for your advice.

Hello Marko: We are updating our demos to latest version of our plugins due to which you might have seen few broken pages.

Also, as we suggested earlier also, you already have our Expose Theme, but if you are facing issues then please contact our support team so that we can check and fix the issue. This will save you money as the theme is already developed following all SE standards and should work well. Any other theme if you will get will also be developed on same Standards.

We have developed a few custom theme from scratch and if you want to checkout our portfolio, then please contact our support team.

We are also coming up with a new Certified Responsive Theme and you can watch out the demo here: https://demo.socialenginesolutions.com . Our team is working on setup and as soon as setup is done, we will submit it for certification.

Regards

Team SocialEngineSolutions (SES)

This post was edited by SocialNetworking Solutions at August 17, 2018 2:14 AM EDT
  • August 17, 2018 2:46 PM EDT

@GS 

Thanks again for help, GS. 

If you take a look at the second screenshot you posted, you'll see that there is no content in centre column. The "Post Something" field is glued to the bottom of the page. 

But yes, I would really like to take up your offer of seeing what this theme looks like on a working site, so I'll send you a PM for further details :) 

• August 17, 2018 3:06 PM EDT
    SocialEngineSolutions said:
    Marko said:

Hello Marko: We are updating our demos to latest version of our plugins due to which you might have seen few broken pages.

Also, as we suggested earlier also, you already have our Expose Theme, but if you are facing issues then please contact our support team so that we can check and fix the issue. This will save you money as the theme is already developed following all SE standards and should work well. Any other theme if you will get will also be developed on same Standards.

We have developed a few custom theme from scratch and if you want to checkout our portfolio, then please contact our support team.

We are also coming up with a new Certified Responsive Theme and you can watch out the demo here: https://demo.socialenginesolutions.com . Our team is working on setup and as soon as setup is done, we will submit it for certification.

Regards

Hey SES Team,

Thanks for your reply. 

I did send you a list of bugs and you did fix some of them very quickly, which was great and I was very happy about that, but for other problems you simply didn't reply to me or you told me that they had been fixed when they hadn't.

On paper, I think you have some of the best plugins and themes out there, but I just wish they would work out of the gate.

Anyway, I hope you can continue to improve your products and iron out any bugs in your existing and future products.

GS has Kindly offered to provide me with login details to his SpectroMedia themed website and I look forward to seeing a fully working site in action without any major problems.

Thanks again!

• August 18, 2018 1:56 AM EDT
    Marko said:

Hey SES Team,

Thanks for your reply. 

I did send you a list of bugs and you did fix some of them very quickly, which was great and I was very happy about that, but for other problems you simply didn't reply to me or you told me that they had been fixed when they hadn't.

On paper, I think you have some of the best plugins and themes out there, but I just wish they would work out of the gate.

Anyway, I hope you can continue to improve your products and iron out any bugs in your existing and future products.

GS has Kindly offered to provide me with login details to his SpectroMedia themed website and I look forward to seeing a fully working site in action without any major problems.

Thanks again!

@Marko: As we informed you we are working on upgrades, few issues doesn't seemed to be fixed. We're glad and thankful to @gs for helping you out with the functioning of theme.

We always work hard to improve our products with bug fixes and new updates. And would be monitoring and fixing all the issues mentioned by you.

Please stay tuned to our update posts.

Regards