Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

Hosting site?

• 3 posts
    August 22, 2018 11:37 PM EDT

Hello, can someone tell which hosting site and plan they use for their social network? I'm having an issue here, because im not sure if the website host which was recommended by social engine is the best for me and don't want to pay for extras when i can be saving. Btw, my website plan to use the all features from the social engine software such as music, videos, blogg, and ect. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 23, 2018 12:31 AM EDT

Welcome aboard!

I use a VPS#03 plan from fastcomet.com.  They offer excellent SE support (they provide my SE upgrades and PHP 7.* upgrades and all other host related work, but not deep SE and 3PD Plugin troubleshooting).  Dedicated servers are avail as well.  There are some other excellent providers too that others may chime in with their experiences.

Since you mentioned music and video, that may require more capable resources/configuration (esp video) depending on the # Users and activity.  3PD Plugins may require more resources as well.  More info you provide may help others make better recommendations, including a host that supports AWS.  'Best' and 'saving' are relative terms and often mutually exclusive.

Although Fastcomet offers regular backups (as many hosts do) I would recommend you also perform your own offsite (i.e. not in your host's control).  I use JetApps' JetBackup ($4/mo) https://www.jetapps.com/order.

Hopefully others will chime in with questions and recommendations, but since your question is vague and without much in the way of Users/activity (which you may not even have a clue yet at this stage, which is okay), it's like asking whats the best truck to buy :)  We all started somewhere so I recommend to be patient on the journey.

This post was edited by gs at August 23, 2018 12:32 AM EDT
    • 3 posts
    August 23, 2018 1:02 AM EDT

Thank you! Well, the themes im looking to purchase are from here https://www.socialenginesolutions.com/socialengine-category/themes/. I'm currently debating which of the $79.00 theme should i buy as i really like their interface and desing. Im looking foward to buy the whole package($600+) so pretty much my website will interact like the demo making it easier for me but i realize there are alot of plugins with the package and do not want my hosting server to faile for my users.

edit:Also, one thing that im not understanding is buying domain. Google domain allow me to purchase a domain from them that is cheaper than the site that are willing to host. What the difference from buying a domain from google and another site?

This post was edited by Jack Rodman at August 23, 2018 1:14 AM EDT
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    August 23, 2018 2:14 AM EDT

Suggestion: Before buying a pack of Plugins, determine what functionality you require, prioritize the list, then go window shopping (since Certified is a fairly new thing, many excellent Plugins by several 3PDs aren't yet in the Marketplace, yet were all there just months ago, so you may have to visit 3PD websites directly for info).  Demo the Plugins.  Ask questions about specific functionality you don't see and make sure they show you how it does what you're asking (i.e. don't trust product feature lists).

SES has some wonderfully designed themes (I use their very responsive SpectroMedia theme - if you wish to take a look at it on a site with many Plugins from several 3PDs just PM me).

==> '...Google domain allow me to purchase a domain from them that is cheaper than the site that are willing to host. What the difference from buying a domain from google and another site?...'

I apologize, but I'm not following, because it seems these are two different things.  Many sites sell domains, others sell hosting, some sell both (fyi - domains typically are renewed annually).  Typical domain costs you may see for ballpark $10-20/year (some are more, some are thousands).  A domain is only that - an address/URL (yoursite.com).  It does nothing and goes nowhere (well, sortof) unless you are hosting it somewhere.  These hosting plans vary greatly in price and capability (for descriptions, pls do a google search of hosting types such as shared, VPS, cloud, dedicated, etc.).  Hosting requirements for SE will cost more than $10-20/year.

Sometimes there's a combo package, such as mine at 1and1 - which I use for .ftp and backup purposes and registering/renewing numerous domains, but my primary domain purchased at 1and1 points to my VPS at FastComet (which will be changed eventually as readers here may already be ready to suggest).

• 5938 posts
    August 23, 2018 4:21 AM EDT

I have had websites for several years now and went through many hosts. I settled on Cazaratech.com and even partner with him in our own BryZar.com hosting. Each have offsite backups. Wherever you go, make sure they offer offsite backups. Also, cpanel isn't necessary. It's a server hog and you end up paying for resources that your site itself isn't using. The main thing that clients use in cpanel is just the file manager and phpmyadmin for database. You can easily FTP so a file manager isn't necessary these days. Phpmyadmin is available without the heavy cpanel. So don't stick yourself with cpanel.

That being said, TMD should be ok. I've never used them though. I've used a ton of others and got tired of the bait and switch.

For domains, I use Godaddy for now. BryZar will be offering those too soon. I've found Godaddy very easy for domain management but would never, ever use their hosting.

Not sure if that helps you. 

• 3 posts
    August 23, 2018 11:28 AM EDT

Thank you, your information has help me a ton.

• 370 posts
    August 23, 2018 12:49 PM EDT

Hands down Cazaratech.com has been the best hosting company I have come across. They have consistently gone above and beyond when it comes to service and they are priced very well.