Cache Question APC & SE Demo

• 201 posts
    September 6, 2018 5:12 PM EDT

After reviewing the the Knowledge Base on caching I see that SE leans toward APC.  I have had my hosting configure APC.  The knowledge base says use 3.1.9 in this link however I guess that is a few years outdated - the current version supported by PHP 7x is APC 5x.  I have verified all the other extensions are not loaded as to not conflict (Memcache, Xcache & Redis).  I was wondering if anyone knew the answers to my two questions before I enable it from file based and risk blowing things up

1. Why does SE use Redis on its demo if it recommends APC?
    2. How will I be able to verify APC is in-fact working as intended.

Thank you

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at September 6, 2018 5:33 PM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    September 6, 2018 5:55 PM EDT

1. We use Redis as it's the best to use. It's the fastest from what is available in SEPHP.

2. Try it on local. I use it on local without any issues, APCu I mean. Other clients have used it and I've not seen issues from it on their site.

Why don't we recommend Redis? Because we recommend the more affordable option of APCu. Redis is a memory hog as it uses memory for caching, https://redis.io/topics/introduction so you need a good amount of memory on your server to use it.

• 201 posts
    September 7, 2018 9:56 AM EDT

Well that totally makes sense - Thank you @Donna.  I will enable APC and see how it goes.

• 6923 posts
    September 7, 2018 12:47 PM EDT

You're welcome. It should work fine with APCu. I've not seen any issues but I don't use any third party plugins other than the ones I made. Not sure if all of the third party plugins work with the caching. Best to ask those devs. 

• 201 posts
    September 7, 2018 1:12 PM EDT

Thanks Donna - I am only using default SE plugins until I have everything working the way it should before I even consider 3rd party enhancements.  This is my second attempt with SE and I had some bad experiences with 3rd party stuff previously.  My first attempt was in 2010, version 3x and I gave up until just a few weeks ago - its all coming back now.  SE looks much much +++ better now and appears way more stable. laughing

This post was edited by Miami Shade at September 7, 2018 1:12 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    September 7, 2018 8:07 PM EDT

==> '...Not sure if all of the third party plugins work with the caching. Best to ask those devs. ...'

Is this only for REDIS?  Forgive my ignorance but if SE PHP supports something then why are we checking with 3PDs too?  Are there other things we should be asking 3PDs about that they may not support even though SE PHP does?

• 6923 posts
    September 8, 2018 4:26 AM EDT
    gs said:

==> '...Not sure if all of the third party plugins work with the caching. Best to ask those devs. ...'

Is this only for REDIS?  Forgive my ignorance but if SE PHP supports something then why are we checking with 3PDs too?  Are there other things we should be asking 3PDs about that they may not support even though SE PHP does?

I've seen some plugins not use caching. I've seen some require cache disabled. I've seen some that don't support PHP 7. I've seen others that break due to mysql issues (they don't support recent updates). I've seen some that have flash though we removed it - causing site issues in browsers due to flash being blocked.

Yes, there are plugins that have not been updated, have not removed flash, etc. I've not seen any yet in the certified marketplace with issues like that. However, working support I have seen non certified with the issues I've mentioned. So it is worth checking with experts before enabling something - just in case their plugins don't support it.