[OFFICIAL VIDEO TUTORIAL] How to Access the Admin Panel

• 6923 posts
    July 5, 2017 11:38 AM EDT

We'll post new tutorials and updated tutorials in the forum as Official Tutorial. It should help with searching if you search by that term.

• 629 posts
    July 5, 2017 12:24 PM EDT

Very nice video.

If you want, I can transcribe the audio as text.

• 6923 posts
    July 5, 2017 12:34 PM EDT
    Elshara Silverheart said:

Very nice video.

It has CC on it already. Did it not work?

• 629 posts
    July 5, 2017 12:35 PM EDT

If your site has complex menus, and if your site default social engine directory is a URL you know by heart. Add /admin to the end of the link to get to the control panel.

• 629 posts
    July 5, 2017 12:43 PM EDT
    Donna said:

Very nice video.

No it works fine. I just thought for users who don't have sound, it might not play. They have to turn on closed captions in their account setting under Google YouTube for that to work,I think.

Most news sites I know of provide video transcriptions for their spoken words for translation via text format as  alternatives. that's why I offered.

• 6923 posts
    July 5, 2017 1:40 PM EDT
    Donna said:

Very nice video.

No it works fine. I just thought for users who don't have sound, it might not play. They have to turn on closed captions in their account setting under Google YouTube for that to work,I think.

Most news sites I know of provide video transcriptions for their spoken words for translation via text format as  alternatives. that's why I offered.

Oh ok. I didn't know that. The video program I use does export a txt file of the transcript. I'm not sure how to get that to people though. How do the other sites provide it?

Thanks again for the help!

• 629 posts
    July 5, 2017 1:48 PM EDT
    Donna said:
    Donna said:

Very nice video.

Oh ok. I didn't know that. The video program I use does export a txt file of the transcript. I'm not sure how to get that to people though. How do the other sites provide it?

Thanks again for the help!

All you have to do if you use a computer to create the video, is.

1. Open the file in notepad or another compatible text editor. A good one for Mac is Text Mate. Note Pad is found on Windows. Linux has  a built in editor.

2. Hit control A to select the text.

3. Hit control C to copy the text.

4. Hit control V to paste the text in to the editor on the site.

5. Use the site editor formatting options to change what gets posted. Usually video sites include the iframe for the video first, then they transcribe the text below it.

Hope this helps! And you're welcome.

This post was edited by ElsharaSilverheart at July 5, 2017 1:52 PM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    July 5, 2017 1:56 PM EDT

I have the captions in a text format as screencast-o-matic offers that for scripted videos. So all I do, is copy and paste that in each thread I put a video in if we do it this way or, put it in the video description if we add the video plugin and put our youtubes in that? 

• 629 posts
    July 5, 2017 2:04 PM EDT
    Donna said:

I have the captions in a text format as screencast-o-matic offers that for scripted videos. So all I do, is copy and paste that in each thread I put a video in if we do it this way or, put it in the video description if we add the video plugin and put our youtubes in that? 

Yes! both would work. both would be advisable if other members find the videos exclusively on say Youtube or vimeo where ever it is uploaded. If they were added to the video plugin, you'd just need ffmpeg to make the videos exclusive to the community and you wouldn't need a third party site to host them. For this to work exclusively where only staff can post, you may need to set an exclusive member level for that on the community site here as far as the video plugin is concerned. But all member levels who have access to view the video, would be able to see it the same way. Note, due to the limitations of the editor in the videos plugin presently, you can't format html in the description field of videos as far as I  know. Youtube cuts out video description characters at about 250 characters including html, so be advised you'll need to copy the entire text manually if this happens. The only way it would,is if you upload the video to youtube and then try to use youtube as a source in the video plugin to mirror it on the site.

This post was edited by ElsharaSilverheart at July 5, 2017 2:07 PM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    July 5, 2017 2:07 PM EDT

We would use Youtube too as it's good exposure. We would set it up with the same permissions as our Polls have here if we add the plugin. Just staff allowed to add but everyone can view. Will see what we can do for it. laughing

• 629 posts
    July 5, 2017 2:11 PM EDT
    Donna said:

We would use Youtube too as it's good exposure. We would set it up with the same permissions as our Polls have here if we add the plugin. Just staff allowed to add but everyone can view. Will see what we can do for it. laughing

I agree. Cool! I bet you the first poll you put up will be if other members find text captions useful or not lol.

• 6923 posts
    July 18, 2017 6:57 AM EDT

Off topic posts removed. 

• 629 posts
    September 9, 2017 2:28 AM EDT

Cool.