What are the best steps or practices to setting up a dev site?

• 19 posts
    September 27, 2018 2:20 PM EDT

Hi!

I did read a couple posts about setting up a dev site but it did not seem clear to me what the actual steps were or what the best way to go was to do this. I had my hosting company set up a sub domain for me. I was not able to get any plugins to work properly nor did SE work properly. I read that if you purchase directly from SE you get to use your key for your main site and for a dev site that is set to private, I did not know this until I read it here on the forum. My hosting company then tried going the sub folder route and the issues we were having were:

1. We have a coming soon plugin and when we activated it on our main site it would activate on the dev site. When we deactivated it on the dev site it would deactivate on the main site. It seemed like the two sites were connected and that did not make any sense. We decided to have the dev site removed because we did not feel confident that the two sites were separated from each other and if we worked on the dev site and messed it up we worried it would mess up our main site. Anyone else experience this type of situation with their dev sites?

2. The 3pd plugins didnt work properly. Do we have to get dev keys for all the plugins to work on a dev site? I have not asked the 3pd of our plugins about this.

If you have set up a dev site what is the best method?

A sub folder, a sub domain?

Can the dev site be set up on the same server or does it actually need to be installed on a completely different server?

Are there any special steps needed to make the dev site work properly?

Can someone please explain in simple steps what is the best method to set up a dev site.

• 6923 posts
    September 27, 2018 3:19 PM EDT

There's a great post someplace on this forum for how to set up a development site. 

Your subdomain needs to be named development and on the same domain as the license. It needs to be closed to the public. I use a subdomain. 

You can clone the main site and then follow this tutorial as the steps are the same for the most part:

https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/2019547-moving-your-website-to-another-server?b_id=14386

For third party plugins, get permission from them and the steps to take in order to install on your development site. 

• 348 posts
    September 28, 2018 3:18 AM EDT
    Xplorest said:

Hi!

I did read a couple posts about setting up a dev site but it did not seem clear to me what the actual steps were or what the best way to go was to do this. I had my hosting company set up a sub domain for me. I was not able to get any plugins to work properly nor did SE work properly. I read that if you purchase directly from SE you get to use your key for your main site and for a dev site that is set to private, I did not know this until I read it here on the forum. My hosting company then tried going the sub folder route and the issues we were having were:

1. We have a coming soon plugin and when we activated it on our main site it would activate on the dev site. When we deactivated it on the dev site it would deactivate on the main site. It seemed like the two sites were connected and that did not make any sense. We decided to have the dev site removed because we did not feel confident that the two sites were separated from each other and if we worked on the dev site and messed it up we worried it would mess up our main site. Anyone else experience this type of situation with their dev sites?

2. The 3pd plugins didnt work properly. Do we have to get dev keys for all the plugins to work on a dev site? I have not asked the 3pd of our plugins about this.

If you have set up a dev site what is the best method?

A sub folder, a sub domain?

Can the dev site be set up on the same server or does it actually need to be installed on a completely different server?

Are there any special steps needed to make the dev site work properly?

Can someone please explain in simple steps what is the best method to set up a dev site.

You may refer to our below post which will surely help you to understand the complete steps or flows for setting up a staging / development website:

http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/948/staging-website-a-key-to-success-for-social-engine-website

If you have any further query or need any support on this, please reach out to us at sales@socialengineaddons.com. We would be happy to help you.

Best Regards,

Team SocialEngineAddOns