Video Embedding Is Completely Disabled

• 629 posts
    December 5, 2020 9:14 PM EST

Is there any possible way of completely eliminating the Youtube API from the videos plugin?

IF I share a video on my community, it never saves. In fact it just errors out. Doesn't matter if it's a full embed code from Youtube, or a video added from the videos area.

The error is, we couldn't find a video at the URL. Please check the URL and try again. Well, my users are getting so fed up with technology bugs that half of them aren't even coming online. And this is one of the worst yet.

If I put up a static HTML page, a Word Press page, Youtube Videos load without any problems. Right now, I have to tell people, only link to the video, don't embed it as it never saves. And it's all because of that Youtube API implementation Social Engine uses to even add videos.

So as far as I know, doesn't matter if I create a new API key, or update an existing one. All the permissions are added if I go to enable API's. doesn't matter what Iframely settings I change in the general options there either. Video sharing, practically doesn't exist.

Not sure what to change but it's something I thought would be an easy fix.

• 6923 posts
    December 6, 2020 5:16 AM EST

You set up a new YouTube api key? Is it working for you at our demo? In order to grab YouTube, we had to bypass the iframely and directly use the YouTube api as it was having problems in iframely months ago. https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5210594/se-php-videos

• 6923 posts
    December 6, 2020 5:29 AM EST

I just tested this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HagVnWAeGcM and it worked for me. Please ensure you are using default SE version 5.3.3.

• 78 posts
    December 6, 2020 9:58 AM EST

Make sure you have new update youtube api key. I had that error before but after added the new youtube api key, I now can add youtube video. The only thing that I noticed a problem for me is viewing a video that I have added and SELECTED a category for the video. It could be my server because on the demo it isn't an issue.

• 629 posts
    December 6, 2020 12:22 PM EST

I went in and regenerated all my project API keys. So they're pretty brand new. I admit the API stuff is overwhelming because of how many screens you have to go through.

• 629 posts
    December 6, 2020 1:09 PM EST
    Donna said:

You set up a new YouTube api key? Is it working for you at our demo? In order to grab YouTube, we had to bypass the iframely and directly use the YouTube api as it was having problems in iframely months ago. https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5210594/se-php-videos

How did you do that? I've just verified in another app that my YouTube API key does work. I'm thinking that this may be an issue with IFramely because when I go to post a video, the only option that pops up under video source is external site. Not Youtube.

This post was edited by ElsharaSilverheart at December 6, 2020 1:10 PM EST
    • 6923 posts
    December 7, 2020 4:48 AM EST

You would need to be on v5 which has iframely bypassed for youtube. 

• 629 posts
    December 7, 2020 11:04 AM EST
    Donna said:

You would need to be on v5 which has iframely bypassed for youtube. 

I have that. V5.3.3

• 6923 posts
    December 7, 2020 1:17 PM EST
    Elshara Silverheart said:
    Donna said:

How did you do that? I've just verified in another app that my YouTube API key does work. I'm thinking that this may be an issue with IFramely because when I go to post a video, the only option that pops up under video source is external site. Not Youtube.

that is correct. Youtube is an external site. You would add it via that. 

• 6923 posts
    December 7, 2020 1:18 PM EST

I'm not sure why it would not be working on your site if you made a new youtube key and haven't gone over their quota. Are you using any third party products perhaps?

• 629 posts
    December 7, 2020 1:58 PM EST
    Donna said:

I'm not sure why it would not be working on your site if you made a new youtube key and haven't gone over their quota. Are you using any third party products perhaps?

The key should work fine. I am using stock videos plugin, with no third party apps for precisely this sort of reason.

It's probably just a server setting.