Welcome Spencer W. Ebligo! Our SocialEngine Mascot has a Name!

• 6923 posts
    July 7, 2017 1:56 PM EDT

We want to thank everyone that submitted the awesome names we received in our mascot contest! The winning name is: Spencer W. Ebligo!

Read more about the winner and runners up in our blog here.

Spencer will make his appearance here and around the net soon!

• 111 posts
    July 7, 2017 2:09 PM EDT

Howdy! This is great! I have a name at last. Phew! It was hard roaming around the office without a name to introduce myself. However, it was fun too because with no name, there's no way to get in trouble. Chew a shoe? No problem! Nobody did it! Eat all the snacks on the table? Nobody did it! Yep, nobody did a lot these last few weeks wink

Thank you for this awesome name. Spencer. So dignified! It's a big name for a pup but I'll grow into it. *sniff* *sniff* Someone has bacon! Hey, I'll catch up with you all soon! Bacon is calling...

• 154 posts
    July 7, 2017 7:50 PM EDT
    Hi Spencer
    • 629 posts
    July 8, 2017 3:29 AM EDT

Hey there, Spencer!

First off, how do you like to be called? Your name is a good one and I'm glad to welcome you home.

Second of all, I hope you have a fun stay. I added you as a friend to kick start the introduction to a great time here at Social Engine. You'll do us all proud, I'm sure. Or, perhaps, me at the very least!

Thirdly, you have a nice smile. I look forward to seeing more of it in the upcoming moons ahead. Happy travels!

• 111 posts
    July 8, 2017 4:45 AM EDT
    Daniel said:
    Hi Spencer

Hello Daniel! cool

Elshara Silverheart said:

Hey there, Spencer!

First off, how do you like to be called? Your name is a good one and I'm glad to welcome you home.

Second of all, I hope you have a fun stay. I added you as a friend to kick start the introduction to a great time here at Social Engine. You'll do us all proud, I'm sure. Or, perhaps, me at the very least!

Thirdly, you have a nice smile. I look forward to seeing more of it in the upcoming moons ahead. Happy travels!

Hello Elshara!

You can call me Spencer or Spence. Either is cool. Thank you for the welcome.

I'm sure I'll have fun here. The team is super nice and all of you are awesome!

Thank you laughing Oh, moons! Yes moons! I love the moon. It's just the dog's bark! (Similar to the cat's meow but much cooler) Happy travels to you as well and happy days!

• 348 posts
    July 8, 2017 8:53 AM EDT

Welcome Spencer!! Congratulations for the new name, it's really fascinating wink

• 4 posts
    July 8, 2017 9:29 AM EDT
    Hi Social Engine

Can you give my runner up prize to someone else.

Appreciate the sentiment but you broke your own rules, ofcom would eat you alive for breaking your own rules.

"His first name should start with ā€œSā€ and last name ā€œEā€ in order to have initials of S.E."

Now the initials are S.W.E

"Names cannot be copyrighted or trademarked by other companies; movies; celebrity names; or other publicly known names."

Play on name of the company Webligo

I'm sure if you wanted initials
    S M
    You would not allow
    Spencer E. Minem
    And if S I
    You wouldn't allow Spence N Ike

The playing field therefor for others who stuck to the S.E format stuck within the guidelines.

I saw a post where some said the name should be Spencer W. Ebligo
    And they explained why it should be that, meaning they had a chance to express their meaning behind their name choice.

Plus for another runner up to win having W. Ebligo either saw that persons post and edge their bet or it's the same person as the winner.

Creatively within the rules, I'd doubt others added another initial to their entry.....

Because the rules said initials have to be S.E

I bet you had an influx of W. Ebligo entries but you never saw anything like

Spencer Syst Em
    Spencer G Em
    Super T Energy

The playing field for the winner was not the same.

I saw that entry and actually thought, I bet that wins, and even considered my Soul Elektra to be Spencer W. Ebligo

Based on Webligo

But I didn't because I thought, that has broke rules, and would be very biased, it's totally not an impartial name.

I bet all entrants who saw that post on your page or Facebook page, where ever it was about Spencer being dispenser and w. Ebligo for Webligo, prob all thought.... that would win but based on rules broke, it cannot win.

My friend told me about this competition, he was one who convinced me to build a social network, as he is quite knowledgeable of SE, and even tho I have seen my friend above make a comment.

And I thank him as this competition has saved me money. With great discounts.

Money has NEVER been an issue, but I advocate for equality, fairness.
    And my morals can not accept this runner up prize because the winner and even another runner up broke the rules.

That's two other people who missed out on an opportunity with a name that broke the rules, was in public area which explained the choice of name, and had association to the company itself.

Ofcom would eat you alive for this!

And I rather another 1 of the two people who followed the rules have my runner up prize than me. Out of principle.

My morals for fairness cannot accept when the playing field was far from fair.

• 154 posts
    July 8, 2017 9:38 AM EDT

Chris dude, drop me a call man.

Think about what you have said, this discount can be good for you as a runner up, I get where you are coming from but, DISSSSSSSSSSSSSSCOUNT.

• 629 posts
    July 8, 2017 10:17 AM EDT
    Chris B said:
    Hi Social Engine Can you give my runner up prize to someone else. Appreciate the sentiment but you broke your own rules, ofcom would eat you alive for breaking your own rules. "His first name should start with “S” and last name “E” in order to have initials of S.E." Now the initials are S.W.E "Names cannot be copyrighted or trademarked by other companies; movies; celebrity names; or other publicly known names." Play on name of the company Webligo I'm sure if you wanted initials S M You would not allow Spencer E. Minem And if S I You wouldn't allow Spence N Ike The playing field therefor for others who stuck to the S.E format stuck within the guidelines. I saw a post where some said the name should be Spencer W. Ebligo And they explained why it should be that, meaning they had a chance to express their meaning behind their name choice. Plus for another runner up to win having W. Ebligo either saw that persons post and edge their bet or it's the same person as the winner. Creatively within the rules, I'd doubt others added another initial to their entry..... Because the rules said initials have to be S.E I bet you had an influx of W. Ebligo entries but you never saw anything like Spencer Syst Em Spencer G Em Super T Energy The playing field for the winner was not the same. I saw that entry and actually thought, I bet that wins, and even considered my Soul Elektra to be Spencer W. Ebligo Based on Webligo But I didn't because I thought, that has broke rules, and would be very biased, it's totally not an impartial name. I bet all entrants who saw that post on your page or Facebook page, where ever it was about Spencer being dispenser and w. Ebligo for Webligo, prob all thought.... that would win but based on rules broke, it cannot win. My friend told me about this competition, he was one who convinced me to build a social network, as he is quite knowledgeable of SE, and even tho I have seen my friend above make a comment. And I thank him as this competition has saved me money. With great discounts. Money has NEVER been an issue, but I advocate for equality, fairness. And my morals can not accept this runner up prize because the winner and even another runner up broke the rules. That's two other people who missed out on an opportunity with a name that broke the rules, was in public area which explained the choice of name, and had association to the company itself. Ofcom would eat you alive for this! And I rather another 1 of the two people who followed the rules have my runner up prize than me. Out of principle. My morals for fairness cannot accept when the playing field was far from fair.

ChrisB, welcome to the community.

With all due respect, I'm not paid to write this, but as follows, here's my take on your post.

As a client of Social Engine PHP specifically, I two submitted a name for the new Mascot. Although I was originally fine with the name, Social Engine Mascot, I was happy to indulge in a fair game and a competition to win something cool, generously donated and or offered as a discount by other members of the community. Including the core developers of the script.

My name did not feature a middle initial, it was simply Samuel Evans. Or Sam for short. I forget which name I specifically submitted but it was something along those lines. When I submitted it, it was just a random name, something which came to mind on impulse, as I'm aware of online aliases, and it seemed generic. It wasn't something I carefully considered over a period of time, maybe 5 minutes from conception to submission. I didn't see a field requiring a disclaimer for which the name should only apply for social engine, or as to where I had to provide terms for the name, as I donated it to the Mascot.

You are right the name should've been two words technically as per the competition or posting rules. I wasn't able to see all the submissions posted, and I'm not sure if we were meant to. However, this is in my opinion, a grey area. Which means, nobody said you couldn't post an initial.

Technically, Social Engine has the rights to use the Webligo trademark because in their footer, that's who they claim to be powered by. The blog post later on detailing the succession to the name, never revealed who the community contributor was who picked the name. Which, in my opinion, would've been nice to know, or have recognition of. Considering Social Engine used to at one point, feature different sites from new clients, detailing their participation in an opt in or opt out at any time community online directory of sorts. I figured this would be a way back into a sort of name or brand recognition from among the community itself.

Having said that, any name can have a specific copyright associated with it. I think the name in full, not the name (s) in part, are required for a copyright claim to successfully be published or sent out. Of course, if someone was to submit a name like Samurai Evans, the term Samurai might be considered a copyright issue, because of the associated Japanese Medi-eval military among other uses. However I sincerely doubt Spencer is a name someone has individually or in full, made a single copyright claim against. My name choosing at the time, was not based on avoiding copyright I must admit, but as such, was a name never the less to consider. Although, it wasn't popular in the least, apparently.

Your name of choice, Soul Electra, could also be considered for a copyright claim individually, as such individual titles represent music genres to which many names are associated under the umbrella of. Having said this, many names feature separate works of reality and fiction simultaneously. Where by no association or connection or conflict is made. The only place where it might be disputed, is most likely to do with online domain web spaces, where a different sort of competition, often known as bidding, takes place. In Wikipedia's case, such names which are common place, are featured under another term, Disambiguation. However all relevant pages associated with a title are redirected to their own articles there. Should a specific search term, such as Wolf, or Lion, redirect you to a page, Wikipedia tells you where it was redirected from, which doesn't necessarily explain the origins of disambiguation pages, however in cases where they are linked, it's disclosed as such without problems. Which is interesting, considering anyone can edit a Wikipedia page online. It's evolved to since become a community contributed credible source of information, from the unaccredited precedent of being considered an alternative means of finding information.

Because of such references to a non standard of name copyrights, it's fair to assume the name itself, Spencer W Egligo, is not currently involved or will in the near future, be involved in a copyright lawsuit. This doesn't mean the name itself is not disputable, however further clarity or specifications on the matter will need to be fairly processed by the organizer of the social engine core product team for further analysis.

As it stands right now, it's early days. So this can be addressed while the official competition is in its maturing days, which happen to be going on at this very moment.

If you feel this name was chosen in error, you're welcome to talk to Donna, Chief Evangelist, who made the community here possible among other things. She's organizing the Mascot along with Kile and other members behind the scenes. Feel free to reach out to her concerning specific name choices, as I believe it was up to her to decide who the winner (s) were by popular demand. As her roll would've been and still is, lead organizer. Sometimes also referred to as account manager, or site lead support officer. If my authorization of such a title and related position of responsibility was not correct, then it can be changed if needed.

My overview of the situation is this. You're not in the wrong to ask for further clarification on the posting rules. I do feel you have missed the mark a tad on copyrighted names however, and also am convinced that the technical specifications of copyright in full must be addressed. If copyright claims are partial, but without evidence to prove part of a name is specifically owned by or patented by a particular entity, I don't see a problem currently.

I want you to know that no question is stupid or ridiculous. I'm not angry or upset at you for posting your words here. I'm not an official person to talk to regarding this matter, but my thoughts are outlined clearly here if anyone cares to reference it in consideration. I believe all things within reason can be a key topic or focus if the reason is something we can all relate to and work towards. Conflicting with this, are things which we cannot control directly as an individual person. And yet, we do so from time to time, to try to figure out relevancy and ideas of interests.  Queries and statements of such nature regardless, must have grounds for being factual if they are to be addressed, which is why I went in to so much detail in trying to help you understand where others may be coming from.

I hope you enjoy your stay here. Do by all means, grab a copy of social engine PHP to try it. My wish is that this has not deterred you from using the script in any way, as the functionality and thoughts behind it, in no way put forward the idea you must enter a competition to get a discount or have a chance to receive a discount either way, prior to your participation with it.

• 629 posts
    July 8, 2017 10:27 AM EDT
    Daniel said:

Chris dude, drop me a call man.

Think about what you have said, this discount can be good for you as a runner up, I get where you are coming from but, DISSSSSSSSSSSSSSCOUNT.

Daniel, welcome to the community.

It is my understanding Chris didn't mean any harm by posting his thoughts and concerns here. I appreciate the chance to get to know someone who actually submitted a name. Having said that, I respect his opinions for what they are, and don't feel he has to be put on trial for being slightly misunderstood.

As I see it, he did nothing wrong. I don't have an issue with the current name so am fine with the one that is currently active. It helps to promote the Webligo brand a bit anyways, which is connected to social engine. I mean if the name was Sandra Engineer, I'd have been fine with it two. But that's just me.

Try to not go too hard on him. It's Chris's choice to take or leave the discount and it's nice to see he cared about his place or roll to receive it as such. He can always download a trial two if he wants if he just wishes to test Social Engine in its current state. If he's done that already, then I apologize for an incorrect assumption of someone being new in an unfamiliar territory.

I'm sure there's a simple answer to this. If someone refuses something offered, that's fine two. I won't be one to ask for a replacement prise if he continues to refuse his. Besides, it's already happened so it's not possible anyways, I don't think. Regardless, thanks for referring a friend of yours to the community. It's nice to see a new face around here. And a familiar one, as well. Yours being the familiar face, and Chris's being the new face respectively, in reference to this case.

This post was edited by ElsharaSilverheart at July 8, 2017 10:30 AM EDT
    • 4 posts
    July 8, 2017 11:00 AM EDT
    Thank you Elshara.

I just feel the playing field was uneven.

The magnitude of prizes was overwhelming
    But as I stuck to the guidelines and the initials are now S.W.E
    And for two people to be in the top with W. Ebligo, I could bite my tongue.

But that's not me, and it annoys me that people would have stuck to S.E

And if it annoys me so much I need to dust my hands of it, and not be a part of it.

So please don't waste my prize, give it to someone else at random.
    • 4 posts
    July 8, 2017 11:02 AM EDT
    I've said my peace. So please give my runner up prize elsewhere!
    • 6923 posts
    July 8, 2017 12:22 PM EDT
    Chris B said:
    Hi Social Engine Can you give my runner up prize to someone else. Appreciate the sentiment but you broke your own rules, ofcom would eat you alive for breaking your own rules. "His first name should start with “S” and last name “E” in order to have initials of S.E." Now the initials are S.W.E "Names cannot be copyrighted or trademarked by other companies; movies; celebrity names; or other publicly known names." Play on name of the company Webligo I'm sure if you wanted initials S M You would not allow Spencer E. Minem And if S I You wouldn't allow Spence N Ike The playing field therefor for others who stuck to the S.E format stuck within the guidelines. I saw a post where some said the name should be Spencer W. Ebligo And they explained why it should be that, meaning they had a chance to express their meaning behind their name choice. Plus for another runner up to win having W. Ebligo either saw that persons post and edge their bet or it's the same person as the winner. Creatively within the rules, I'd doubt others added another initial to their entry..... Because the rules said initials have to be S.E I bet you had an influx of W. Ebligo entries but you never saw anything like Spencer Syst Em Spencer G Em Super T Energy The playing field for the winner was not the same. I saw that entry and actually thought, I bet that wins, and even considered my Soul Elektra to be Spencer W. Ebligo Based on Webligo But I didn't because I thought, that has broke rules, and would be very biased, it's totally not an impartial name. I bet all entrants who saw that post on your page or Facebook page, where ever it was about Spencer being dispenser and w. Ebligo for Webligo, prob all thought.... that would win but based on rules broke, it cannot win. My friend told me about this competition, he was one who convinced me to build a social network, as he is quite knowledgeable of SE, and even tho I have seen my friend above make a comment. And I thank him as this competition has saved me money. With great discounts. Money has NEVER been an issue, but I advocate for equality, fairness. And my morals can not accept this runner up prize because the winner and even another runner up broke the rules. That's two other people who missed out on an opportunity with a name that broke the rules, was in public area which explained the choice of name, and had association to the company itself. Ofcom would eat you alive for this! And I rather another 1 of the two people who followed the rules have my runner up prize than me. Out of principle. My morals for fairness cannot accept when the playing field was far from fair.

Hello Chris,

Regarding the rule regarding business names. Webligo is the business name. Ebligo is not. The mascot name is Spencer Ebligo for all intents and purposes. It would have won without the W. We liked the creativity of it as well as several other names. Our team voted based on each first and last name submitted. The first name Spencer meaning "keeper of" was also a nice extra touch.

When envisioning what our mascot would be doing - interacting in the community, posting blogs, possibly animated videos, appearing on our site - we could envision a Spencer doing these things. The last name won't be used much at all but it was necessary to have the initials SE as on his barrel he wears. 

So that explains that part and how we decided on which name. One name, Skeeter, was a close second. Due to what Skeet means, it can be a vulgar term, we had to go with our first choice as both names got about the same amount of votes from our staff.

Note that our rule about trademarks and copyrights, please read again the rule and it says by "other" companies. Webligo is our company. It is not an "other" company so it is fine. http://blog.socialengine.com/2017/06/27/name-the-socialengine-mascot-and-win/

• Names cannot be copyrighted or trademarked by other companies; movies; celebrity names; or other publicly known names.

We understand that people can get excited about contests and have bad feelings when they don't win. Our hope is that you can overcome your unhappiness at not winning and be happy with the prize you did win as it has a great value as well. 

We do anticipate more fun things for clients in the future, depending on how attitudes towards this one go. It was our intent to offer more.

This mascot was my baby. I conceived the idea, the original sketch, the prize idea and naming contest. I was thrilled to see so many experts giving such great prizes, runner up prizes and even consolation prizes.

Our entire team got behind this. They fell in love with the final mascot who was produced by Room214 staff. James and Jason, were so happy to see the amount of prizes that clients would receive. They love to do nice things for clients and experts, we all do. The final decision for the name, after all of our staff voted, was left up to Kyle and I. We honestly liked the first name Spencer. It was what decided it ultimately as it will be easy to use in blogs, here, and many other ways. 

We hope that our clients and third party experts will have a positive outlook on all of this and allow us to continue to do great things here. We hope you will all accept our mascot and our decision as to what will be the best name for our company branding and corporate image. 

Chris, if you still don't want the prize you won, you don't have to claim it. You'll miss out on some great stuff. Thank you for your submission and feedback. Have a good day and weekend.

• 6923 posts
    July 8, 2017 12:27 PM EDT
    SocialEngineAddOns said:

Welcome Spencer!! Congratulations for the new name, it's really fascinating wink

Thank you and thank you so much for your generous contributions!

• 4 posts
    July 8, 2017 1:49 PM EDT
    Nothing to do with bad feelings for not winning.
    Your completely way off.

But the post where someone which I expect is the winner posted their reason behind the name.
    So this had an unfair playing field from the start, because the meaning had something to back it up.

Do I believe the team researched every name suggested....NO

Was there names that potentially had great meanings..... yes

Was they able to put forward their findings and why they choose the name.... No.

Would more have played on W. Ebligo..... most definitely, but the initials having to be SE would have made people think having an middle name or initial void the entry.

I just like a fair playing field.

I won't be using my prize. But will still be purchasing Social Engine at a later date.

But the type of person that I am, I would rather it go to another that truest deserves it, my voices opinion is my prize!
    • 6923 posts
    July 8, 2017 1:57 PM EDT

Hi Chris,

Thanks for coming back and responding. Our staff from various departments picked from all of the names that qualified. Each staff member got one vote. They all picked based on the name they liked best for the mascot and that would go best with a corporate image. The top two names were Spencer and Skeeter. The last name was not the reason Spencer won out over Skeeter. Skeeter wasn't a W.Ebligo but was one of the top picks. There were other entries that were (name) W. Ebligo as others had that same idea. Those names didn't get any votes from staff as the first name didn't work well.

Thanks again.

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at July 8, 2017 2:45 PM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    July 9, 2017 7:59 AM EDT

For those that might want to do contests, most of the runners up were chosen using this http://www.miniwebtool.com/random-name-picker/ . It's a random name picker.

• 629 posts
    July 9, 2017 12:08 PM EDT
    Donna said:

For those that might want to do contests, most of the runners up were chosen using this http://www.miniwebtool.com/random-name-picker/ . It's a random name picker.

That's a nice tool. It makes things seem and feel better. Not that I had any doubts to the authenticity or would ever consider favoritism as playing a factor in contests. But something has to fit and sound right. I've seen places around the web where even though the public would participate in something, it never actually went through due to something not resonating with the entire team. I'm glad in this case everything went and is continuing to move smoothly in such a direction. Thanks for the disclosure, it wasn't necessary but it's cool to note for reference and for dong a local contest. I thought it was very useful and informative.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 9, 2017 2:19 PM EDT

Welcome Spencer!

So glad you're here and finally have a great name.  Looking forward to seeing you around the community.  Glad you'll be around to help.

Thanks to all who entered the contest.  And thanks to SE for allowing us the opportunity of naming our new Mascot.

• 6923 posts
    July 9, 2017 3:12 PM EDT
    gs said:

Welcome Spencer!

So glad you're here and finally have a great name.  Looking forward to seeing you around the community.  Glad you'll be around to help.

Thanks to all who entered the contest.  And thanks to SE for allowing us the opportunity of naming our new Mascot.

Thank you! laughing

• 111 posts
    July 10, 2017 10:09 AM EDT
    SocialEngineAddOns said:

Thank you cool I think it's cool! We need some dog smileys...

• 111 posts
    July 10, 2017 10:11 AM EDT
    gs said:

Welcome Spencer!

Thanks gs! I'm happy to be here too and to meet you and everyone else that's welcomed me.

• 7 posts
    July 10, 2017 2:33 PM EDT

Welcome Spencer  in SE Team !! 

I am glad, you finally got name !!

• 111 posts
    July 10, 2017 5:21 PM EDT
    Sk Devs said:

Welcome Spencer  in SE Team !! 

I am glad, you finally got name !!

Thank you! I'm glad too! laughing