[A]Forum Topics on News Feed

• 45 posts
    April 19, 2021 9:25 AM EDT

When someone posts a forum topic or reply it is posted on the main activity feed where people can comment on it there or like the post.

It would be better to take the ability to comment on the activity feed forum post and make it easier to click a reply or view topic to go straight to the forum topic on the forum.

This would then keep forum posts together in the forum and not spread all over the activity feed.

Just a thought

• 6923 posts
    April 19, 2021 1:12 PM EDT

This could be an interesting feature but it is not following our stickied guidelines and information is missing. https://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/3/submitting-feature-requests

Can you please flesh it out more? I am not clear on how this should work. Screenshots would be helpful and step by step on what you envision. I think you want to change the comment to a reply button when a forum post appears in the activity feed. Clicking that would send the person to that particular thread reply page. 

Do we do the same for Event and Group discussions? 

• 45 posts
    April 19, 2021 1:30 PM EDT

Hi Donna,

Yes a reply button would work, the problem I see as it stands is that when a member creates a forum topic and it is posted on the news feed most members do not understand that it is a totally separate part of the social network, they press the comment button to comment and the comment is only on that news feed post and not on the forum topic. This makes the forum not as active or as useful as it should be. 

Once the post on the news feed has been commented on others may comment on there too and it will be lost in the news feed over time where as if it was a actual reply to the forum topic which got posted on the forum it would not get lost and easier to refer back to later. 

Likewise if someone does post a reply on the forum topic that too goes to the news feed and comments on that would only show there briefly till it got lost whereas if it had a reply button instead of a comment it would keep all the forum posts together.

The only option at the moment is to stop the forum topics and posts being posted on the News Feed but then the forum may not be used as members would not know about topics and posts if they do not go to the forum plugin.

I dont use the groups or event discussions so difficult for me to comment but on my site posts are just made on the group feed and when they are commented on it does show on the group feed

Thank you for your response and I hope this helps

• 6923 posts
    April 20, 2021 7:59 AM EDT

Thank you for the detailed explanation. It does help. We've a lot of improvements in our list. I'll see if this was already on it.

• 6923 posts
    April 20, 2021 8:13 AM EDT

We didn't have it on our list so I added it as it's been requested for a while now. Thank you!

• 45 posts
    April 20, 2021 8:15 AM EDT

Great thank you, 

• 68 posts
    April 29, 2021 2:10 PM EDT
    Great idea.
    • 45 posts
    April 19, 2023 3:29 AM EDT

Any news on this please?

• 6923 posts
    April 19, 2023 8:15 AM EDT

This is in our list of improvements. For now, in 6.4 we are releasing a fix that will not show comment for forum posts. Once we add this reply feature, we will update this thread. It won't be in 6.4.

• 45 posts
    April 19, 2023 8:18 AM EDT

Ok thank you Donna, To not have a Comment button is a good start as it will mean members have to click to go to the forum

• 6923 posts
    April 19, 2023 8:32 AM EDT

I wish we had thumbs up in forums lol. It is my most favorite feature and I've been waiting years for it. I'm all about smilies and reactions.But yeah, that comment button for forum posts in the feed has caused many issues. 

• 45 posts
    April 19, 2023 8:34 AM EDT

Yes it is good, I used to have an Invision forum years ago

• 6923 posts
    April 19, 2023 8:35 AM EDT

I used to use Vanillaforum. Loved it. Badges, reactions, gamification.Great stuff. Our plugins will all be improving a great deal once we get the core where we want it. 

• 57 posts
    July 28, 2023 11:36 AM EDT

How is going here? Notifications are severly suboptimized compared to facebook for example, this is an small but important step in right direction.

Br