Forum Signature

• 13 posts
    July 16, 2021 6:55 AM EDT

It would be great if we could have a Forum Signature feature. 

• 6923 posts
    July 16, 2021 7:04 AM EDT

Thank you for your post but would you please format it according to our stickied guidelines? https://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/3/submitting-feature-requests . This helps to ensure that we know how the feature should work and look. thank you

• 13 posts
    July 16, 2021 8:30 AM EDT

Title: Adding a Forum Signature to our forums

Description: Usually, when people use a forum, they have access to set up a forum signature that is displayed after each post they make. This signature could allow them to post a short message, a small photo or even a link. 

This feature could be accessible from Account settings, where they can edit their password or set up a new profile picture. 

Currently, there is no such feature to my knowledge and it would greatly improve the overall aspect of the forums and user profile if it would. 

Thanks for considering my request!

• 6923 posts
    July 16, 2021 8:46 AM EDT

Just to teach a bit on feature requests for anyone looking.

We need to think about each request. When submitting a feature request, it's best to think about this from a few different angles. The impact on the server; impact on the administration; impact on google rankings (if spammers get on and spam the hell out of the signatures); impact on the user viewing; impact on security; impact on privacy, etc.I hope this is helpful to anyone submitting features. Please read through the below and let us know your thoughts on this feature. Anyone can chime in. If I missed something, please add it. I do miss having a forum signature.

• Does it need member level settings so that admin can control who can and who can't add a signature? 
    • Does it need member level settings for moderation? So that admin / super admin can choose if moderators, for example, are allowed to edit someone's sig?
    • Does super admin automatically have the ability to edit a signature?
    • Does this need a setting for privacy for users? Such as, do they want to hide their sig from guests, non friends, etc?
    • Does admin want to allow links in a sig? Clickable links.
    • Regarding adding a photo to a signature, the spacing for a signature is normally small. Thought needs to go into that. What size should this signature "panel" be? Remember, a high percent of users now are on cell. Having a lot of signatures in a forum, with images, will either blow up that page on cell or just create a bad experience. A lot of thought actually needs to go into this.
    • If photos are allowed, size restriction on the photo?
    • Do we allow the tinymce editor to be used for this? (Security issues could arise so this needs to be checked by a dev first)
    • Do we want to allow admin to set where the sig shows? I have seen signatures appear under a user image, on the left; and I have seen them under the post.
    • Do we allow smileys/emoticons?

• 6923 posts
    July 16, 2021 8:52 AM EDT

I guess I should explain why I added the above and we didn't just add a feature request for a sig and do it how we want it. Sometimes, what we may think a client wants a horse but they actually wanted a duck. That being said, if I tell a dev to make a forum signature, they'll make one but it won't have any of the above as I didn't say that. They just do.So, in order to make something how clients want it, first we need to know exactly how they envision it to ensure it's the same as our own vision. For me, I might even want a bit of a background color to the sig, just to break up the post from the sig. Perhaps even allowing admin to set the color. It might even be cool to allow members to set the color (with permission in case admin has a specific site design).

• 13 posts
    July 16, 2021 10:58 AM EDT

Wow, there are so many details I did not consider! Thank you, Donna!

• 629 posts
    July 23, 2021 3:27 PM EDT

Well, forum signatures are the exact same thing as author bios for blogs. So I think that one such setting would be, only allow the first post in a thread to contain a signature.