[A]Images uploaded via editor need ability to manage or delete

• 120 posts
    February 2, 2023 10:12 AM EST

Hi,

I deleted a blog as I wanted to move it from "Blogs" to a "Group" blog, so before I deleted it I copied the code from the editor in Blogs, deleted the blog, then posted the blog code I copied into the Group blog editor which was great, however, I was expecting to have to upload the images again, but they just appeared, which to me says that when you delete a blog it does not delete the uploaded images that are associated with it.

I know that when I post blogs I can upload the images to the File Manager first and use the URLs, but members can't do this!

I have also noticed the same happens to uploaded images in the Classifieds plugin, so I'm assuming this is the same for all plugins.

This to me should not happen as over time you could end up with unused images stuck somewhere in a file taking up server space for no reason!

Either all of the plugins/editors need updating or perhaps a new option in the Admin panel similar to Wordpress (with the right plugin!) where you can view all uploaded images/files/videos and it can tell you which images/files/videos are not being used anymore on the website so you know you can delete them and have a clear out once in a while. I don't know at this point if this also applies to uploaded videos but if it does this needs to be addressed too because of the size of video files.

Kind regards,

Mark

• 131 posts
    February 2, 2023 3:47 PM EST

Hi Mark, great post describing your functionality intent.  I don't think I ever thought about copying code if I was to take a blog and convert it into a Group instead, though I'm still in a learning curve on a lot of things.  If I was to take a blog and convert it into a group, I would copy/paste the text and upload the pictures again, but now that I'm looking at some of my tutorial blog posts, that would take a certain amount of time to rebuild and I can see your challenge.

When I post images to any of my posts, I use the upload feature in the post editor box and members can upload images if permitted, as well.  I just checked what I use the file and media manager most for and that would be favicons, header logos, images for the Inspira theme and emoji's, all other images I just upload from whatever plugin I'm posting too at the time (eg. forum, group-discussions).

The only way I know of to be able to view all of my images from the AdminCp is by going to the Photo Albums plugins and then I can view photos by member and location (type of album) and I can view and delete photos from there.

I'm not sure if I have grasped your true request, but thought I'd just share some quick thoughts as your query is interesting.

• 120 posts
    February 2, 2023 4:23 PM EST

Hi Tiffany,

The only way I know of to be able to view all of my images from the AdminCp is by going to the Photo Albums plugins and then I can view photos by member and location (type of album) and I can view and delete photos from there.

Yes, you can do that, but if a member has deleted a blog post, classified, forum post etc. without you knowing, you still don't know what images are actually being used, it would be a nightmare if your site got really big and you where trying to keep up with unused images/videos etc. It makes more sense that when the post/item/object is deleted by a member, the uploaded images associated with them are deleted too don't you think? Thus also keeping a tidy file system/server.

At the moment if you move a blog to a group for example simply by copy/paste the text and re-upload the images, you will have two sets of the same images in your file system, one lot doing nothing just taking up server/disk space.

When I post images to any of my posts, I use the upload feature in the post editor box and members can upload images if permitted, as well.  I just checked what I use the file and media manager most for and that would be favicons, header logos, images for the Inspira theme and emoji's, all other images I just upload from whatever plugin I'm posting too at the time (eg. forum, group-discussions).

I'm the same with you on this, but that's ok because we know what they are for as admins.

I hope this has cleared up my argument here?

Kind regards,

Mark

• 131 posts
    February 2, 2023 5:13 PM EST

Hi Mark,  Okay, I get it now.  Thank you for explaining in additional detail; helpful to me.  I can see where your concern is with the duplicate images.

Mark's quote:

At the moment if you move a blog to a group for example simply by copy/paste the text and re-upload the images, you will have two sets of the same images in your file system, one lot doing nothing just taking up server/disk space.

~T.

• 6923 posts
    February 3, 2023 8:32 AM EST

Thanks for moving your post from bug to feature request as I had requested. I had forgotten to add this to our list so it's a good reminder. In another script I worked for before, they used to have images such as this go into an "attachments" folder where they could be deleted easily. That feature was removed from that other script but it was a very handy one. It would be useful here too, in order to clean up attachments. I believe that is the way to go with this feature if it's possible. For images uploaded via the editor to go into an attachments folder and then be able to be managed by the member and by admin. It needs more planning but that's the idea.

• 6923 posts
    February 3, 2023 8:46 AM EST

Ok it's marked as accepted. Hoping for 6.5 as we can't for 6.4. We need a way to manage attachments, delete, etc.

• 120 posts
    February 3, 2023 10:36 AM EST

Brilliant, you are wonderful! 

Mark

• 131 posts
    February 3, 2023 10:45 AM EST

Awesome!  Thank you, Donna