Notifications in SE.

• 57 posts
    July 18, 2023 5:22 PM EDT

This might seem like a small one but for huge communities with big flow and many members it is SIGNIFICANT.

The notification system in SE is outdated- compare it with facebook- that is the golden standard.

As you can see above it has THREE links.

1. Link to user who posted it

2. Link to post

3. Link to forum topic

1. You click on it you come here

2. You come here

3. IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS 2.

Facebook looks like this

The whole link is clickable and you are taken here

Facebook takes you DIRECTLY to the image, video, albums, comments that the notification is about. No uncessary information.

The only purpose of this notification is to be taken to the place which the noticiation  is about.

But in SE you are only taken to the forum topic for example, not exactly to the place which the note is about.

And to have link to user- completely meaningless, once we clicked on the notificiations we can easily click on user name from there.

And you are only informed that user donna posted on a forum topic, you have no idea concerning which topic, comment, photo, video etc.

The notification itself should show which forum topic, pic, video etc that the notification is about

This goes for how notifications work in whole SE- it is completely outdated. It is such vital and important part of a social network I cant understand why this has not been developed for last 10 years?

SE- this is easy- copy and paste facebook notification functions. Off course not 100%, but more or less benchmark and learn.

SE  notifications system is a BIG weakness for any serious community.

• 57 posts
    July 28, 2023 11:40 AM EDT

Considering the importance of notifications in a social Network- crucial I would add- I am bit surprised by the low level of engagement in this thread? Or are the requirements from other users so that they are content with over 10 year old notification system? 

We can´t afford to be and have to be leading in what we are doing- and this is a crucial part in any serious social network.

• 6923 posts
    July 28, 2023 12:29 PM EDT

It makes it hard to engage with you as your comments tend to be borderline against SE. Some of the things you say feel like a cut. I hope you understand. I watch the threads but I just don't want to be drawn into a negative experience.

As for your feature request itself, it seems like a good feature in itself. We have to look at the logic of how se coding is now. We have big improvements in the works and once those are done, we can do features like this easier and in a more complete manner. 

Know also that, with my husband passing this month, I have been busy and not as available to donate my time here after hours which is what I am doing now. I have a lot of passion for SE and for seeing it improve. Our team has passion to improve it as well. Please give us time to get this improved. If you remind me, I will add this to our list on Monday. Thanks.

• 57 posts
    July 28, 2023 12:42 PM EDT

Sorry to hear about your husband passing- life is bigger than work alone for sure. Happy you like the feature request- and yes, I tend to sharpen the elbows. As I have been working with SE and customized and tested it, I can clearly see how complex it is to build such a script that will make everyone happy given there are so many different interest to satisfy- this is a main challenge for any script i think. Happy to remind you about this one though. And I can share from my side as well as my site starts to get ready. Have a good weekend.

• 57 posts
    September 4, 2023 11:08 AM EDT

Hi Donna, did you have a look into this one?

• 6923 posts
    September 5, 2023 5:36 AM EDT

It takes us time for features. We already have 6.5 and 6.6 planned. We will look at this once we start on 6.6. 

• 57 posts
    September 5, 2023 3:23 PM EDT

Understood- this is also a big change, because it goes deep into SE functionality.