Forums » SEPHP Help and Tips

Develop & Sell Separate Advanced ADMIN Module

  • gs
    • 857 posts
    July 16, 2017 6:14 PM EDT

    A summary of the feature request.  Many FRs seem to be for additional functionality in ADMINcp, but not all ADMINs need the requested functionlity, nor should Core be bogged down with some of this.  Just like Photos/Videos/Chat/etc. are separate modules that an ADMIN may choose to use or not, many ADMINcp FRs could be included here. 


    Details of settings, steps to use or see this feature, benefits.  None specifically as this FR is more of an overall concept (and none of the other Forums seemed to be the right place to put this in my mind but go ahead and move it if desired :)

     

    Add screenshots when possible.  none here (i.e. this has to do with including many FRs into a separate module, so screenshots may already exist with the other FRs).  Additional mockups would obviously be required especially since this is much more than a simple FR.  This would be like providing mockups for a new 'Videos' Plugin if one didn't yet exist.

    Any other information you want to share that is relevant to the feature being requested. This might include the lines of code that you have identified as needing improvements and potential solutions (and your opinions on their merits).  I'm attempting to see if SE would be willing to consider such a thing (or maybe they already have) and if other ADMINs would be interested.  I just know there are many FRs that pertain to ADMINcp (some minor, some major changes) between here, github, and the previous community.  I'm hoping to accomplish the following:

    • Include more, much needed functionality into ADMINcp (hopefully sooner rather than later)
    • Get it done by SE since it's directly related to Core and a Plugin of this type should be developed, supported, and enhanced by the primary engine developer (i.e. SE not 3rd-Party Dev)
    • Justify the development cost through sales revenue of the Module (just like other Modules are; yes I realize that SE has basically 2 Packages, so I don't want to get hung up on where this would be included or if it would be a separate module; the point is (hopefully) for revenue to cover dev costs).

    I have no option here for an Advanced ADMINcp, and since 3rd-Party Devs typically don't like to touch Core, I don't envision them tackling something like this.  Maybe ADMINs will give their recommendations here to see what interest there is (until we have polls here).  I'm just so tired of saying 'how do I ...' and find out the answer is 'you can't - it doesn't exist'. 

    A perfect example is an existing FR for a redesign of the Notifications/Email-Notifications sytem.  Not every ADMIN would want it or could use it or would (financially) benefit by it, but maybe many (besides me) need it.  I'm sure the argument for some will be 'I don't need it and don't want to pay for it'.  To that I say that I think I use 3-4? of the primary SE Modules, yet paid for the whole enchilada.  So I'm sure many of us have paid for Modules we don't need.  To combat that concern, just sell it separately.  Just an idea.

    I'm looking for suggestions and to see if there's interest in this (by both ADMINs and SE).  Thanks for reading :)


    This post was edited by gs at July 16, 2017 6:18 PM EDT
    • 626 posts
    July 17, 2017 3:09 AM EDT
    gs said:

    A summary of the feature request.  Many FRs seem to be for additional functionality in ADMINcp, but not all ADMINs need the requested functionlity, nor should Core be bogged down with some of this.  Just like Photos/Videos/Chat/etc. are separate modules that an ADMIN may choose to use or not, many ADMINcp FRs could be included here. 


    Details of settings, steps to use or see this feature, benefits.  None specifically as this FR is more of an overall concept (and none of the other Forums seemed to be the right place to put this in my mind but go ahead and move it if desired :)

     

    Add screenshots when possible.  none here (i.e. this has to do with including many FRs into a separate module, so screenshots may already exist with the other FRs).  Additional mockups would obviously be required especially since this is much more than a simple FR.  This would be like providing mockups for a new 'Videos' Plugin if one didn't yet exist.

    Any other information you want to share that is relevant to the feature being requested. This might include the lines of code that you have identified as needing improvements and potential solutions (and your opinions on their merits).  I'm attempting to see if SE would be willing to consider such a thing (or maybe they already have) and if other ADMINs would be interested.  I just know there are many FRs that pertain to ADMINcp (some minor, some major changes) between here, github, and the previous community.  I'm hoping to accomplish the following:

    • Include more, much needed functionality into ADMINcp (hopefully sooner rather than later)
    • Get it done by SE since it's directly related to Core and a Plugin of this type should be developed, supported, and enhanced by the primary engine developer (i.e. SE not 3rd-Party Dev)
    • Justify the development cost through sales revenue of the Module (just like other Modules are; yes I realize that SE has basically 2 Packages, so I don't want to get hung up on where this would be included or if it would be a separate module; the point is (hopefully) for revenue to cover dev costs).

    I have no option here for an Advanced ADMINcp, and since 3rd-Party Devs typically don't like to touch Core, I don't envision them tackling something like this.  Maybe ADMINs will give their recommendations here to see what interest there is (until we have polls here).  I'm just so tired of saying 'how do I ...' and find out the answer is 'you can't - it doesn't exist'. 

    A perfect example is an existing FR for a redesign of the Notifications/Email-Notifications sytem.  Not every ADMIN would want it or could use it or would (financially) benefit by it, but maybe many (besides me) need it.  I'm sure the argument for some will be 'I don't need it and don't want to pay for it'.  To that I say that I think I use 3-4? of the primary SE Modules, yet paid for the whole enchilada.  So I'm sure many of us have paid for Modules we don't need.  To combat that concern, just sell it separately.  Just an idea.

    I'm looking for suggestions and to see if there's interest in this (by both ADMINs and SE).  Thanks for reading :)

     

    I don't know if developers can interface with the control panel directly. We'd need to access the admin panel anyways so I just don't know how accessible the interface would be if developers are limited from accessing the ability to create something like this.

    It is an awesome feature though and I support the idea whole heartily.

    If you're talking about third party developers, nobody has made one yet other than the access page manager.

    Core developers though, could revamp template files. Currently user rolls are restricted based on membership type. I'm not sure if plugins respect this or not.

    • Moderator
    • 5871 posts
    July 18, 2017 6:28 AM EDT

    I'm not sure what you want in the advanced admincp. It wasn't fully described. Can you put features you mean, functionalities, screenshot of how you envision it? I'll move this to another section for now but we can move it back later, once it's more fleshed out. Unless it becomes too complex. We might need to break it into sections.

  • gs
    • 857 posts
    July 18, 2017 12:39 PM EDT
    Donna said:

    I'm not sure what you want in the advanced admincp. It wasn't fully described. Can you put features you mean, functionalities, screenshot of how you envision it? I'll move this to another section for now but we can move it back later, once it's more fleshed out. Unless it becomes too complex. We might need to break it into sections.

    There are some ADMINcp FRs that haven't been built yet (for various reaons) and I'm trying to get them built for those who need them and not penalize those that don't (performance, costs, etc.).  If SE wants to incorporate all the useful ADMINcp FRs soon into the existing Core, that's just fine with me, but my guess is there won't be movement on many of these so I'm trying to see what options there are to cause movement/development.  There have supposedly been approx 25000 sites built with SE over the years, and my guess is that some of these must require more functionality in ADMINcp than what currently exists (unless maybe few exist or few have many Users or require much more than basic functionality, or whatever).  I simply can't believe that out of that many sites so few ADMINs aren't looking for 'more' in ADMINcp. 

    ..features (I) mean, functionalities, screenshots...  Below is a list of some of the functionalities that could be implemented in an 'Advanced' ADMINcp module:

    - http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/48/notification-email-notification-revamp-idea

    - http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/41/ml-setting-to-enable-disable-sending-receiving-email

    - http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/42/deleting-users-what-to-delete-and-when

    - https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-feature-requests/issues/71

    - https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-feature-requests/issues/105

    - https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-feature-requests/issues/123

    - Somewhat related to '123' immediately above is the ability to selectively access Plugins and Tabs in ADMINcp via ML to allow multiple-ADMINs different access.  3rd-Party Devs could build upon this (or should be required to build upon this).

    - automated Plugin Deletion Tool

    As far as screenshots go, they are not provided as this is more of a concept to see if SE and ADMINs are interested in it.  In addition, the screenshots specific to each FR above (and others)  should be included with them. 

     

     

     


    This post was edited by gs at July 21, 2017 4:53 PM EDT
    • 626 posts
    July 23, 2017 1:39 AM EDT
    gs said:
    Donna said:

    I'm not sure what you want in the advanced admincp. It wasn't fully described. Can you put features you mean, functionalities, screenshot of how you envision it? I'll move this to another section for now but we can move it back later, once it's more fleshed out. Unless it becomes too complex. We might need to break it into sections.

    There are some ADMINcp FRs that haven't been built yet (for various reaons) and I'm trying to get them built for those who need them and not penalize those that don't (performance, costs, etc.).  If SE wants to incorporate all the useful ADMINcp FRs soon into the existing Core, that's just fine with me, but my guess is there won't be movement on many of these so I'm trying to see what options there are to cause movement/development.  There have supposedly been approx 25000 sites built with SE over the years, and my guess is that some of these must require more functionality in ADMINcp than what currently exists (unless maybe few exist or few have many Users or require much more than basic functionality, or whatever).  I simply can't believe that out of that many sites so few ADMINs aren't looking for 'more' in ADMINcp. 

    ..features (I) mean, functionalities, screenshots...  Below is a list of some of the functionalities that could be implemented in an 'Advanced' ADMINcp module:

    - http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/48/notification-email-notification-revamp-idea

    - http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/41/ml-setting-to-enable-disable-sending-receiving-email

    - http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/42/deleting-users-what-to-delete-and-when

    - https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-feature-requests/issues/71

    - https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-feature-requests/issues/105

    - https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-feature-requests/issues/123

    - Somewhat related to '123' immediately above is the ability to selectively access Plugins and Tabs in ADMINcp via ML to allow multiple-ADMINs different access.  3rd-Party Devs could build upon this (or should be required to build upon this).

    - automated Plugin Deletion Tool

    As far as screenshots go, they are not provided as this is more of a concept to see if SE and ADMINs are interested in it.  In addition, the screenshots specific to each FR above (and others)  should be included with them. 

     

     

     

     

    One thing I could suggest, is have the ability to make an alternative layout editor menu editor profile questions updater interface. For people on mobile and for accessibility.