Best Method for Grouping Members in Cities?

• 1 posts
    August 11, 2018 12:57 PM EDT

Hello Forumn!  I have created my Social Engine Site and am looking for the best method to accomplish the following:

I want new registrations to the site to list their resident city and state.  Then I want them automatically assigned to the group for that city and that state.  Thus, they could be searched for by either city or state and they could receive or send posts from and to anyone in their city or state. Do I need to create a group for each state.  And then, create a group for each city in that state?

Is there a way to accomplish this logically and without labor intensive creation using existing programming?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 11, 2018 2:57 PM EDT

That's a lot of groups (USA cities ~ 20000)

I thought I remember seeing a Plugin that automatically adds Users to Groups but I can't seem to find it in the Marketplace (either I didn't look good enough, or it exists but isn't yet Certified).  I also can't recall how it did it (i.e. based on what criteria such as Profile type or whatever).

Hopefully other more experienced ADMINs will chime in here because my guess is that this would be at least 2 customizations: 1) import a list of cities/states to automatically created the Groups; 2) to place each new User into the appropriate group.  Plus, you may require a method (ADMIN and/or User) to switch groups so when people move they are transferred into the new group.

What do Users do until other Users exist in their group?  Although it may not take long to get > 1 User in the State Group, it may take quite a while until they exist in the User's city. 

There are Advanced Member Plugins that will allow you to search for Users by City and/or State, as well as optionally a distance from them, but this obviously only locates the User(s), and doesn't provide the other items you require.

• 348 posts
    August 13, 2018 11:55 AM EDT
    biztikr said:

Hello Forumn!  I have created my Social Engine Site and am looking for the best method to accomplish the following:

I want new registrations to the site to list their resident city and state.  Then I want them automatically assigned to the group for that city and that state.  Thus, they could be searched for by either city or state and they could receive or send posts from and to anyone in their city or state. Do I need to create a group for each state.  And then, create a group for each city in that state?

Is there a way to accomplish this logically and without labor intensive creation using existing programming?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark

Hi Mark,

1) You can add new Profile fields as City and State in the Admin Panel of your website following below SocialEngine tutorial,  to let allow users to add their city/state details at the time of signup:

https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/1644307-admin-panel---settings->-profile-questions?b_id=14386

2) Assigning of users to a group of their city/state automatically after their registration is something which has not been implemented yet and will have to be customized.

If you want us to help you in achieving this please reach out to us at sales@socialengineaddons.com. We would be happy to bring your vision into real world!

Best Regards,

Team SocialEngineAddOns

This post was edited by SocialEngineAddOns at August 13, 2018 11:56 AM EDT